Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Halesowen Town - Away

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Halesowen Town - Away on Wed Mar 08 2017, 09:10

Not the best performance by stour of late, but any victory over our near neighbours is good regardless of how we do it.

1st half we were by far the better side, and we really should have gone in at HT with more than just the 1 Benbow goal.  Halesowen knew that the game wasn't over, and that is why when they came out for the 2nd half they seemed to be a totally different team.  They got a lot more chances than we did, and there where times when I really wondered how long it would be before all those missed chances in the 1st half came back to haunt us.

Luckily the Stourbridge defence went from one that looked totally out of shape and conceded 3 goals last Sat, to a back 4 that were brilliant.  Yes we rode our luck at times in the 2nd half especially when Lee Chilton hit the bar, but held on and could of even scored a second ourselves  near the end.

After our performances there over the last couple of seasons, to go there and come away with 3 points was great.  But after Saturdays game to go there and keep a clean sheet as well, was absolutely amazing.

And I noticed someone posted a comment on twitter, saying that a win from a rubbish performance was no better than park football.  Well personally I really couldn't care less how we win, as long as we get the 3 points.  And in my opinion the 3 points is far more important than the performance at this time in the season, especially after the other results in our league last night.

Congratulations to all the supporters who turned out last night and made it a great atmosphere, but most of all a big THANK YOU!!! to the players and management as well for making it a special night fur us.  May our good run continue on Saturday.

COYG cheers cheers cheers

View user profile

2 Halesowen Town - Away on Wed Mar 08 2017, 09:59

Right - where do we start ?

What a battling performance from all over the pitch by our players. Our defence was outstanding and so strong, compared with the last few games, and ''Thou shall not pass'' mentality meant that Matt, for all of the goalmouth action, was very well protected.

I thought that Richard more than justified his selection, winning most of the balls in the air and his long throw is a very useful addition to his repertoire. A word also for Dan who had so far not impressed me. Well, last night, he did !

Our midfield was tenacious with Brad putting in a tremendous shift and, in a game of few chances, Luke B did what he does - score the goal.

Difficult to choose MOTM but Tom played the true captain's role. After every game, he must be shattered mentally, such is his admirable intensity.

Summarising, last night spoke volumes of our desire to win matches. In a local derby, in front of a huge crowd and on a pitch and in weather nut conducive to good football, our lads dug deep and got what they deserved. OK Halesowen might feel that they deserved a point on the balance of play but we won the three points and that's all that matters.

Another good sign is that, apart from Nantwich, all of our play-off rivals are dropping points. All that we can do is to carry on winning matches.

Not wishing to tempt fate  but another important reason to feel proud of our side is that we are the only team in our division to have had no player sent off this season. Also, we have picked up only 33 yellow cards in 37 matches. That is why we are well on our way to winning the Fair Play award......again !

Well done to Gary and the lads !!!

View user profile

3 Re: Halesowen Town - Away on Wed Mar 08 2017, 20:58

After the thrills and spills of the Matlock game, this was always going to be a much tighter and scrappier affair, the ball was in the air a lot as is usual at the Grove! the pitch does not encourage good football. Fantastic atmosphere, rainy Tuesday night attracting 20 more than Easter Monday last year!

Controlled the first half and felt we should have been more than 1-0 up, very lucky not to concede in the second, at various points in the last four games we've been all over the place at the back- yet we've won all four with two clean sheets. Thought Sho-silva starting was the right call with the kind of aerial game I expected and he dealt with things well, Knight was excellent again after an off day on Saturday, Jones and Birch have been impressive recently, the latter certainly puts himself about which I like to see, although I fear he will mistime one at some point and spoil that excellent disciplinary record!

After the last two Easter Monday's, I am delighted, scrapped and came away with the points, at the business end of the season, results are the main currency. We should have made the play offs last year, let's put it right this time, not too fussed where we finish as long we make them, as Blyth and Redditch showed last year (not forgetting Gosport!) finishing well clear in 2nd can mean bugger all.

View user profile

4 Re: Halesowen Town - Away on Sat Mar 11 2017, 11:10

Finally got the Man of the Match votes sorted and the surprise winner is Richard Sho-Silva with 7 votes, 4 ahead of the nearest contender.

The winner of the supporters' draw is Karen Hough.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum