Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eastleigh FA Cup

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Eastleigh FA Cup on Sat Dec 05 2015, 09:19

At long last, the waiting for all of us is nearly over.

Just hope that all of the considerable media hype and attention, particularly with Football Focus being live, hasn't weakened the players' focus on the actual match.

I'm sure that they can't wait to get out onto the pitch and show us (again !), and the rest of the country, how good we can be.

Best of luck, lads !!!

COYG !

View user profile

2 Re: Eastleigh FA Cup on Sat Dec 05 2015, 10:37

Best of luck to all the lads today. I think the weather will play a big part but if we play to our strengh I will be confident that we will win coyg

View user profile

3 Re: Eastleigh FA Cup on Sat Dec 05 2015, 11:00

Given the strength of the wind at the moment, I wouldn't like to be up in that commentary box, but at least it's supposed to stay dry.  I know Eastleigh are supposed to be better away than at home, but I see no reason why we can't cause another upset.  Especially if we play as good as we did against Dover.

Can see this being a very tight game and a close finish.  So I will start the predictions off by saying 3-2 to stour.

Lets go and make plenty of noise, COYG cheers

View user profile

4 Re: Eastleigh FA Cup on Sat Dec 05 2015, 17:07

A great effort by Stour,everybody can be pleased with their performance.

No blame on Lewis "Jolly" for the first goal,it was a good,downward header,i was right behind it in the shed and "Jolly" did well to even react to keep it out in the first place.

I thought we were outstanding in the first half,Lait was tremendous,i think he'll play at a much higher level in the coming years.

Karl's miss was the crucial point of the game for us really but he's been brilliant all season so there's no need for him to take it too hard today.

Eleven heroes across the pitch today and a great advert for the club,well done to all involved.

It really is time now to give Gary the chance to bring in three or four quality players so we can nail a play off spot ( or better! )

Let's hope we get a full house next Saturday and let's give Kiddie another kicking!!

View user profile

5 Re: Eastleigh FA Cup on Sat Dec 05 2015, 18:19

Devil's Advocate wrote:A great effort by Stour,everybody can be pleased with their performance.

No blame on Lewis "Jolly" for the first goal,it was a good,downward header,i was right behind it in the shed and "Jolly" did well to even react to keep it out in the first place.

I thought we were outstanding in the first half,Lait was tremendous,i think he'll play at a much higher level in the coming years.

Karl's miss was the crucial point of the game for us really but he's been brilliant all season so there's no need for him to take it too hard today.

Eleven heroes across the pitch today and a great advert for the club,well done to all involved.

It really is time now to give Gary the chance to bring in three or four quality players so we can nail a play off spot ( or better! )

Let's hope we get a full house next Saturday and let's give Kiddie another kicking!!

Totally agree with that statement 100%. And if anything we were robbed by the wind 2nd half, which didn't help us at all. Now is the time to concentrate on the league, and we are still in the Trophy as well.

That penalty miss near the end summed up our day. Just hope that some of the large crowd will come back and watch us again next week against Kiddy & also in the league.

Disappointed to lose obviously, but at least it wasn't against Stevenage for once.

View user profile

6 Re: Eastleigh FA Cup on Sat Dec 05 2015, 19:13

Another memorable afternoon but a harsh result, wasn't really more than a goal in it. We where well in this for most of the game and created opportunitys, frustrating that we couldn't take any of them, even a penalty (it was a good save), meaning we are still to break our second round goal duck!

Eastleigh didn't allow us to reach the level we did at Dover and it was always going to be very tough, some good performances across the whole pitch, Lait in the first half particularly and a good shift put in at the back, the second goal a little soft but we where fading by then, perhaps the penalty going in may have led to a grandstand finish. Overall they did a good job on us, but they where certainly in a contest and am proud of the performance.

A bit down at the moment but it's been another fantastic effort by everybody involved to reach the second round for the third time in 5 years, and the win at Dover won't be forgotten for a very long time. I enjoyed the football focus programme, that sort of exposure is priceless, I would have put money on the cricket pavilion being the first thing shown!

Another big game next week, Kiddy lost in injury time today, be great to turn them over again, but after that of course the league is very much and has always been the main focus.

View user profile

7 Re: Eastleigh FA Cup on Sat Dec 05 2015, 23:41

Thought Eastleigh just had that little bit of extra quality this afternoon especially in defence - they cut out balls that we'd probably have got a way with in league games.

Also they were more clinical in front of goal and took the chances that came their way whilst we spurned the ones we had - Karl should at least have got his first half shot on target and his penalty was quite weakly struck.

I also thought we played the ball in the air far too much bearing in mind the strong winds.

But we held our own for most of the game, albeit heads seemed to fall once we went behind. But at the end of the day, no disgrace in losing this one.

View user profile

8 Re: Eastleigh FA Cup on Sun Dec 06 2015, 08:52

Good performance from us - especially at the back - but didn't take our chances at the crucial moments. Hawley in the first half and Ben's deflected free kick was just begging to be put into the net as it trickled wide.

We were let down though by a totally inept referee - amazed nobody has mentioned this yet. He got the free kick the wrong way round for their first and missed an obvious handball in the buildup to their second and was just generally really poor throughout.

It's so disappointing that no matter how much effort and preparation we put in and how well we perform on the day, you can't account for being allocated a woefully inexperienced referee for this magnitude of game. £27k in prize money at stake not to mention the third round potential jackpot draw and the FA allocate someone no older than me who was clearly out of his depth? Absolute shambles. I hope the club will be having serious words with the powers that be on this one.

Well done again to the lads for a fantastic effort both yesterday and in getting to the second round again.

Onwards to the FA trophy and fingers crossed we can keep ticking along in the league without a slump.

View user profile

9 Re: Eastleigh FA Cup on Sun Dec 06 2015, 10:26

In all honesty I thought the ref got the free kick decision spot on and I was only surprised that he didn't dish out another yellow card, since he'd just shown one to one of their players for a similar offence.

In fact, I'd been discussing with a couple of other people just before that as to how well he'd done up to that point. Wasn't 100% but what ref is? I thought he got most of the major decisions spot on - TV shows he missed a handball which maybe should have got us another penalty but that would have been hard to spot in a split second from a certain angle.

Sorry, but let's not blame the ref here. Hawley should at least have got his first half chance on target and struck his penalty better and we should have defended better for their second goal.

And let's not kid ourselves. They were better than us and most of all better organised. They weren't hugely better than us, granted, and we gave them a game but they just had that extra bit of quality which meant they could anticipate and  close down most of our plays, get that touch in to intercept a pass and so on.

View user profile

10 Eastleigh FA Cup on Sun Dec 06 2015, 13:16

Have no real complaints about the referee or the result. Think it was just one of those days when things just didn't go our way. OK chances were missed and perhaps Karl should have done better with his opportunities but now's not the time to criticise. Instead, all of the team did us proud with a performance yet again against a full-time and high-flying National League team which shows how far we've progressed compared with the early part of this year.

Thanks to our latest cup run and all of the media attention, our profile both on and off the pitch and our finances put us in a far better place to attract players who can further strengthen our side leading to our ultimate aim - promotion and soon !

Thought the crowd gave excellent support and let's hope quite a few of them keep coming on a regular basis but not those who, shall we say, highlighted the lack of sufficient portable toilets - disgusting behaviour !

View user profile

11 Re: Eastleigh FA Cup on Sun Dec 06 2015, 13:46

Man of the Match votes were as follows:

TOM TONKS 13 votes

Dan Scarr
Brian Smikle 6 each

Matt Dodd
Chris Lait. 5 each

Stuart Pierpoint 2

Kristian Green. 1

KEVIN PRICE won the wine.

Thanks to all who took part.

View user profile

12 Re: Eastleigh FA Cup on Sun Dec 06 2015, 20:09

I didn't think the referee was that bad, most decisions where right, although didn't think the lead up to the first goal was a free kick but watching it again on the TV it was. watching it live there looked a handball from an Eastleigh player in a chance they had in the first half which wasn't spotted, conceding there would have been hard to take.

View user profile

13 Re: Eastleigh FA Cup on Mon Dec 07 2015, 00:48

I'm no lover of refs but i remarked during the game that i thought the lad had done well,he let some robust challenges go by and allowed the game to flow.

It was almost like watching a match back in the 70's and how i prefer to see football officiated so it was a "thumbs up" from me for him.

I forgot to say on my earlier post that although we bossed the first half i thought Eastleigh deserved it in the end so good luck to them but over all i was unimpressed with their actual quality of football and i think teams like Ilkeston from our own division or a Conf North or South side would've potentially given us more trouble.

Fair play to them though.

Hope they draw Salford or Carlisle away in the next round Razz

View user profile

14 Re: Eastleigh FA Cup on Mon Dec 07 2015, 20:54

You must all have been watching a different game to the vast majority of people on the side stand, especially in the second half. One of their players took Ben out right in front of us and the referee was unmoved. He was most definitely the worst ref we've had this season - he got a load of stick throughout the second half and was booed off at the end by the majority in the side stand so I'm not alone in this - was there another Stourbridge v Eastleigh match played elsewhere at the same time? Shocked

View user profile

15 Re: Eastleigh FA Cup on Mon Dec 07 2015, 21:08

The ref definitely missed the Ben Incident, full marks to Ben for not reacting though I'm sure for a split second he thought about it. That incident was right in front of me, as was the handball, admittedly high up the Eastleigh players arm, that lead to the second goal. That said we had chances which we needed to take and we did get a penalty, which if converted would have given us an interesting final few minutes.
I would be even more disappointed if Eastleigh had drawn the Baggies away ! Just hope we don't get hit on the rebound by kidder next Saturday.
Must say a massive thanks to all the Glassboys for giving us another great cup run. Who would have thought it possible last May ?

View user profile

16 Re: Eastleigh FA Cup on Mon Dec 07 2015, 22:39

The ref seemed fine to me and nobody around seemed particuarly upset by his performance. There's not much I can add to the general perception of the match; we didn't play as well as we could have done, but perhaps that was because Easleigh didn't let us. It certainly felt like a typical cup tie where the smaller home team started off well, the bigger/better visitors took their time feeling their way into the match but eventually won by taking their chances. I don't think we can look back and feel particuarly hard done to, but at the same time we weren't at any time outclassed and that performances against a club three divisions higher (if you count the Conference North/South as two) bodes well for if we win promotion.

Also, well done once again to everyone connected with the staging of a big occasion that went off seemingly without a hitch.

View user profile

17 Re: Eastleigh FA Cup on Sun Dec 27 2015, 23:15

Devil loves eating jelly babies because he sees it as torture, he's a wrong un

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum