Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spennymoor

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Spennymoor on Sat Nov 28 2015, 23:46

I think you got your money's worth today, cracking cup tie, all six goals had something to merit them.

I was taken aback by the number of changes, it's one thing doing it in the minor cups, another in a Saturday home FA match against opponents who where always going to be tough, we where bringing in some very experienced players but not regular starters of late so it always seemed likely to be disjointed, after 65 minutes we where very fortunate to be only losing 2-1. I did think before the Halesowen game that with the cup and league ambitions this competition wasn't necessarily one to be getting embroiled in, but a comprehensive defeat today (there only looked one winner for a long time) wouldn't have been good.

Excellent cross and finish for the opening goal against the run of play, Wright had a good game today as did Billingham, good to see him complete 90 minutes, great free kick to set up Pierpoint's header for the equaliser, as for the third, a goal of the season contender from Richards, admittedly he hadn't done much before then, but he's there to score goals and this was a screamer out of nothing, excellent play on the wing to get the cross over for the fourth, the keeper should have done better. For a 20 minute period we blitzed them and they had no answer, a harsh scoreline on Spennymoor though. Considering the amount of away support the attendance was disappointing, lower than the last round.

When you can bring in Billingham, Canavan, Knight, Harris, Wright, that is a strong squad - the strongest since I've been watching, we've been able to change the entire eleven twice and are bold enough to leave the captain out in case he got booked last Saturday! another eyebrow raiser, but he did get booked today, so could say that was the right call. It is about results and we've won the last two matches so the changes are vindicated and as excruciating as the Wolves match was, we wouldn't have beaten Dover without it. It could have gone wrong today though, rode our luck certainly.

View user profile

2 Re: Spennymoor on Sun Nov 29 2015, 10:10

Man of the match voting was as follows:

STUART PIERPOINT 14 votes

Justin Richards
Junior Smikle. Both 9

Kristian Green. 4

Mark Wright. 3

RICHARD CLARK won the wine.

Thanks to everyone who took part.

View user profile

3 Spennymoor on Sun Nov 29 2015, 12:13

The end result fully justified Gary's much-changed team selection, although 4 - 2 probably flattered us.

Apart from the last 20 minutes or so when we upped the tempo, the players understandably along with the rest of us seemed to have Eastleigh on their minds. When we went 2 - 1 down, I wasn't disappointed but all credit to the team, inspired by yet another captain's performance by Stuart, for going for the win.

The change to 3-5-2 in the second half more than cancelled out Spennymoor's midfield superiority in the first period and Junior's versatility, this time from the right of midfield, underlined how important he is to the team.

I haven't been a great fan of Justin up until now but he seemed to thrive in his increased responsibility of being the senior attacker. A much improved display saw him score the goal of the game.

This coming week promises to be the most exciting time in our club's history with all of the media attention etc.

These are very good times to be following SFC - all credit to our management teams, both on and off the field.

Roll on next Saturday !!!

View user profile

4 Re: Spennymoor on Sun Nov 29 2015, 17:47

We won 4-2, which was a result that probably did flatter us given the way we played during a lot of the game.  But at the final whistle there was still someone moaning saying that it was a crap performance, and that we were very lucky to go through.  I'll give you 2 guesses who that was, although I doubt if you need that many.

And I know people would like to see us play good and win, but personally I don't care if we have a bad game as long as we get a positive result.  I dread to think what he'd been like if we'd actually lost the game Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately we are in the northern section for the next round, so there's no chance of Dover away yet I'm afraid Laughing

View user profile

5 Re: Spennymoor on Sun Nov 29 2015, 20:15

Good win in the end in a very entertaining game. I wouldn't say we were 'lucky' as such, I just think we dominated the crucial period of the game and made the most of our chances which came our way - and the most of a few goalkeeping slips. Ultimately goals win games and I don't think there's much luck involved in hitting the back of the net four times.

The team selection was one of those tactical decisions that everyone applauds if we win but criticises if we lose - but on the whole I thought he got it right.

We went ahead out of nothing and no surprise when they levelled it before half time. Thought that was that when they went 2-1 up but Pierpoint notched the equaliser not too long later which was crucial. To be fair, as good as Spennymoor were, after we equalised they didn't do a fat lot more attacking wise and we had our best patch of the game.

I must have been watching a different game to the 9 voters for Justin Richards as man of the match because I thought he had done practically nothing all game other than score a spectacular goal to put us ahead.

Their keeper won't be picking many moments from the game in his career highlights DVD as a fumble gave us a fourth.

Thought Mark Wright was impressive today and Clarke battled away all afternoon. Harris and Billingham did OK in midfield. Smikle was quality again and was unlucky to be booked. Pierpoint will now miss the next round of the Trophy for 5 bookings after collecting his 5th yesterday - probably justifying the decision to rest him last weekend! Thought Kristian Green was absolutely quality again.

They were well supported and seemed a great bunch of lads who wished us all well post-match. Best of luck to them for the rest of their season.

View user profile

6 Re: Spennymoor on Sun Dec 27 2015, 23:30

Devil worships the devil..... That makes devil a devil worshipper.
Does he worship himself?

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]