Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Halesowen Town - FA Trophy

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Sat Oct 31 2015, 00:04

Sorry to upset everyone as I never get it right, but I just had to do this.

So to start off the predictions for tomorrows game, I will go for 2-1 to Stour

cheers COYG

View user profile

2 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Sat Oct 31 2015, 12:55

It will be a tougher game than last week i'm sure!

Saw Halesowen Tuesday, Daniels looked very threatening up front, they should have beaten Mickleover out of sight, looked ropey at the back though.

It goes without saying it's must win (even more so after our last performance at the Grove) but the competition has certainly lost a lot of it's shine, there's very little interest in these early rounds when you end up playing somebody from your own league (our tie being the exception!) and the ex league clubs in the conference treat it with contempt. I also think if we have designs on the top 5, having got to the first round of the FA Cup, a run in this would not be helpful.

A replay is the last thing we would want but if where losing and come up with a late equaliser i'll certainly take it! hopefully it is the Wolves on Monday and we can rest several (or more) ahead of Dover.

View user profile

3 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Sat Oct 31 2015, 17:46

A deserved win against very limited opposition,I thought we controlled much of the match.

We seemed to continually overlook the sometimes two players Yeltz had "overloading" at our back post each time they attacked which lead to a few hairy moments.

Lait and Dodd excited and frustrated in equal amounts,their tendency to overplay and delay the ball into the box would've driven me made when I was playing up front and Richards was regularly registering his displeasure at the number of wasted runs he was making.

I made Hawley my man of the match for another class display and for his well deserved flashing header that justly won us the game.

A good away following today but a crowd that was less than I'd anticipated.

We now look forward to the draw for the next round.

Dover away?

Ok...,,,Kiddie it is then.....id take that.

View user profile

4 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Sat Oct 31 2015, 19:01

Jack

Admin
By no means our best performance of the season but we got the job done and that's what mattered. They were poor and on a rubbish surface it was always going to be a battle. Luckily in Leon and Tonksy we now have 2 battlers in the middle. You could tell at the end of the game how much it meant to Tom.

Hawley for me is the best striker I've seen at the club. Some will say Ryan but as a complete player he is better. His all round play was excellent again today and his header was superb-from a great ball by Justin.

Well done lads. Today showed quite how much we've came on from last year. We will have the occasional blip such as Tuesday and Ilkeston, but we are a team on the up no doubt about it. We ground out a win today in a game we may well have lost in the past.

Excellent away following today.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

5 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Sat Oct 31 2015, 19:23

Tough game on a poor pitch, thought Halesowen deserved a replay, glad they didn't get one!

These matches are never going to produce free flowing football, up until the first goal the game was as poor as Easter Monday, what a strike from Pierpoint to break the deadlock! pick that one out. We started to exert pressure then and if we hadn't conceded with six minutes could have really grabbed it by the scruff, mind you that was a good goal, beaten for pace.

On the ropes early in the second half, Richards and Hawley didn't really have a sniff but one chance was all Hawley needed! once his eyes where on that it was always going in, we where sluggish at times and struggled in midfield but battled hard for the win, Smikle again put in an excellent performance. 808? I thought it was more than that.

Successive cup wins over Kiddy and Halesowen, it doesn't get much better, complete the hat trick next Saturday might top it though! easier said then done.

View user profile

6 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Sat Oct 31 2015, 20:03

Man of the match voting was as follows;

BRIAN SMIKLE. 12

Stuart Pierpoint 11

Karl Hawley 3

Matt Dodd
Tom Tonks. 1 each

Wine was won by LEE ATKINSON

Thanks to all who took part.

View user profile

7 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Sat Oct 31 2015, 21:12

sirsmileriiii wrote:Sorry to upset everyone as I never get it right, but I just had to do this.

So to start off the predictions for tomorrows game, I will go for 2-1 to Stour

cheers COYG

Good god, I actually got it right for once Shocked Shocked Shocked

As for the next round, don't really care as long as it's at home...

Plus no matter how good today's win is, I will be 100% happier if we can replicate the outcome in the 2 league games Very Happy

View user profile

8 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Sat Oct 31 2015, 21:25

I'm not a frequent poster.....but I do watch a good number of games........and posts.

Remember trudging out of The Grove on Easter Monday feeling quite low. The team were not 'a team', the manager was under the cosh, the over-riding feeling was negativity. We lost a scrappy game on a lousy pitch..........and Tom Tonks stood out as Halesowen's version of our sorely missed Sean Geddes.

What a difference seven months makes........although the weather was as good today as it was in April. Very Happy

I like Tonks - a street fighter, who can make a difference, although I still don't think we properly utilise his throw-ins (better than a corner IMO) - and 'yes', his satisfaction at the end of the game was clear for all to see. I'm glad we have him.

Hawley is just class. The 20+ goals a season man we were crying out for last April.

Could go through the whole team and find positives....... but it's enough to say that everyone of them are '8 out of 10' in every game at the moment.

I will single out Solly - Lazarus incarnate - as his career appeared as good as over last season. Not sure if he is consciously making an effort with his physicality, but WOW - he must be tipping the scales well below last years read out. And if he is not available, the boy Price* must be chomping at the bit for his next chance in the starting line-up. (* note the old school use of the word 'boy' followed by players name).

Compared to some recent performances, today not vintage Stour - but the sign of a decent team to play below par and win.

The Grove is a good ground for spectating (great atmosphere behind both goals in the second half) - but really, should players at this level of football be battling against slopes and VERY questionable bobbles? The War Memorial might be three sided, but the quality of the playing surface is rarely bought into question.

I'll finish with this. Today, I dragged 4 lads to the game who have never watched non-league in their lives. All I will say is , they are looking forward to the next round draw, because they WILL be attending. COYG

View user profile

9 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Sat Oct 31 2015, 23:04

Grassboys wrote:I'm not a frequent poster.....but I do watch a good number of games........and posts.

Remember trudging out of The Grove on Easter Monday feeling quite low. The team were not 'a team', the manager was under the cosh, the over-riding feeling was negativity. We lost a scrappy game on a lousy pitch..........and Tom Tonks stood out as  Halesowen's version of our sorely missed Sean Geddes.

What a difference seven months makes........although the weather was as good today as it was in April. Very Happy  

I like Tonks - a street fighter, who can make a difference, although I still don't think we properly utilise his throw-ins (better than a corner IMO) - and 'yes', his satisfaction at the end of the game was clear for all to see. I'm glad we have him.

Hawley is just class. The 20+ goals a season man we were crying out for last April.

Could go through the whole team and find positives....... but it's enough to say that everyone of them are '8 out of 10' in every game at the moment.

I will single out Solly - Lazarus incarnate - as his career appeared as good as over last season. Not sure if he is consciously making an effort with his physicality, but WOW - he must be tipping the scales well below last years read out. And if he is not available, the boy Price* must be chomping at the bit for his next chance in the starting line-up. (* note the old school use of the word 'boy' followed by players name).

Compared to some recent performances, today not vintage Stour - but the sign of a decent team to play below par and win.

The Grove is a good ground for spectating (great atmosphere behind both goals in the second half) - but really, should players at this level of football be battling against slopes and VERY questionable bobbles? The War Memorial might be three sided, but the quality of the playing surface is rarely bought into question.

I'll finish with this. Today, I dragged 4 lads to the game who have never watched non-league in their lives. All I will say is , they are looking forward to the next round draw, because they WILL be attending. COYG

Totally agree with everything you've said, and I presume that Halesowen have put "A Lawnmower" at the top of their Christmas present list for Santa santa

View user profile

10 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Sat Oct 31 2015, 23:56

sirsmileriiii wrote:

Flying into Leeds Bradford airport that morning so Shaw Lane Aquaforce away looks the best option for me at the moment! Wink

View user profile

11 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Sun Nov 01 2015, 00:05

Dave the Glassboy wrote:
sirsmileriiii wrote:

Flying into Leeds Bradford airport that morning so Shaw Lane Aquaforce away looks the best option for me at the moment! Wink

What a bloody awful name for a football team Dave!

View user profile

12 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Sun Nov 01 2015, 08:58

Devil's Advocate wrote:
Dave the Glassboy wrote:
sirsmileriiii wrote:

What a bloody awful name for a football team Dave!

Can't argue with that.

And I've seen Total Network Solutions FC play!

(SLA are based near Barnsley or Doncaster I believe in case anyone's wondering)

View user profile

13 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Sun Nov 01 2015, 21:06

What's this I've been told about pitch invasions and smoke bombs?

View user profile

14 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Sun Nov 01 2015, 21:38

dave w wrote:What's this I've been told about pitch invasions and smoke bombs?

The pitch invasion was a very short one by some over excited stour fans, after we scored our 2nd goal. They should have known better, but it was really over before it started and they apologized to the stewards afterwards as well.

The smoke bomb was let off during the 1st half and it included blue & white smoke, so you can guess who's fans let that off.

View user profile

15 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Mon Nov 02 2015, 07:37

What worried me more was the poor security by the exit to the bar in the ground,i seen three people walk out with glass cider bottles,the steward was to busy talking as they walked out so i went and had a word with him! Was sorted in the end!

View user profile

16 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Mon Nov 02 2015, 14:24

Everyone seems to agree that the announced crowd was less than it looked. Don't know why Halesowen would bother understating it mind you, given their record of paying money to HMRC...

Two good goals going off the highlights, especially the first. Would have been a very dodgy and soft penalty for them had it been given.

Pierpoint is clearly playing in the wrong position given the quality of his finish!!

View user profile

17 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Mon Nov 02 2015, 18:00

stour_boy wrote:Everyone seems to agree that the announced crowd was less than it looked. Don't know why Halesowen would bother understating it mind you, given their record of paying money to HMRC...

Says 808 on the NPL website - I'd have said that was just about right. Wasn't exactly heaving.

View user profile

18 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Sun Nov 08 2015, 21:40

Jack

Admin
They ain't happy over on their forum about Gary's comments about the pitch Razz Razz Razz

Which is the worst in the league, btw.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

19 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Sun Nov 08 2015, 23:05

Halesowen's pitch is a disgrace,not fit to let your dog take a dump on.

Perhaps if they spent less time squandering their money and didn't get taken in by shysters of dubious moral's ( no pun intended ) then they might be able to afford a roller and a decent lawn mower.

The only time their pitch has ever looked decent was the short ocaission Ian Pilkington was doing it for pre season games.

They're bound to be jealous considering our constant cup success and the fact our pitch is like Wembley by comparison.

At least they might get the chance to watch us live on TV in a couple of weeks.

"Your sister is your mother"

View user profile

20 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Mon Nov 09 2015, 10:09

Love how last Boxing Day got yet another mention.

Can just imagine them getting home fuming about the state of their trainers. Presumably "Matalan own brand" according to their forum! Wink

Bit of a needle from GH but thoroughly warranted - we haven't pissed our money up the wall unlike them so can invest sensibly in our facilities. And yes, this includes a concrete walkway to the Shed so their beloved Matalan trainers can last longer than one day after Christmas Day!

View user profile

21 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Mon Nov 09 2015, 13:00

Don't forget that this is a set of supporters who after they came out of administration were full of boasts about how they were headed back to their "natural home in the Conference" - a level they've never come close to reaching. They can't handle the fact that we get bigger crowds than them, we have a better team than them, we're the ones getting the publicity and it's not 1985 anymore.

View user profile

22 Re: Halesowen Town - FA Trophy on Mon Nov 09 2015, 13:44

Very nicely put into a "nutshell" Dave.

A horrid,grotty little set up full of people with delusions of grandeur.

Some of us are old enough to remember the days before Paddy Page back in the 70's when they were at their natural level in the West Mids League with not a pot in which to piss.

Some things don't change much do they!?

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum