Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys


You are not connected. Please login or register

Dover away in the cup.

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1 Dover away in the cup. on Mon Oct 26 2015, 19:35

Hope "operation stack" isn't in place on the motorway that weekend.

I'll set off on the Monday just to be sure of arriving on time.

View user profile

2 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Mon Oct 26 2015, 20:22


Well that's deflating to say the least, that will quite likely be a train job for me, going on the Friday or very early on the day. Have been on several coach holidays to Europe and the journey M1/M25, then M20 traffic to the docks is horrendous, although the Dartford toll barriers have now gone which means far less in that area, but if operation stack is in place it will be chaos, I avoided that last month, but there where serious delays around the channel tunnel going and coming back due to people trying to run through it, an overnight for the players is a must that's for sure. Dunkirk, dover, next round is obviously Calais, I've seen the football ground there, very close to "the jungle"!

A quick search says their capacity is 5745, 15% of which is 861/862, so we should be getting somewhere around that ticket allocation, at least if it's a replay we haven't got to go midweek! no doubt an interesting one for supporters of longer standing than me, I have watched the 1993 videos with interest.

It's unglamorous, long traveling, tough opposition but at 3.00pm on the day that will all go out the window, and am very much looking forward to it, it is the first round of the FA Cup and will be a great occasion, perhaps Kiddy was our first round, but let's hope not.

Anyway there's matches that require our full attention before then, 3 points at Nantwich is the first ask.

View user profile

3 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Mon Oct 26 2015, 20:30

Devil's Advocate wrote:Hope "operation stack" isn't in place on the motorway that weekend.

I'll set off on the Monday just to be sure of arriving on time.

Many a true word said in jest...assuming you were jesting !
Before I retired I regularly travelled to London and around the M25 on business.
Not a pleasant experience, it only takes one nutter to bring the damn thing to a standstill.
Anyone contemplating making the journey would be well advised to consider travelling down the night before. Google maps may well say 31/2 hours but that goes right out of the window IF there is an accident anywhere on the M6 or M25, believe me I know at my cost !

View user profile

4 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Mon Oct 26 2015, 20:36

Terrible draw, worst possible outcome in my opinion. At least there won't be a problem or panic with ticket distribution so at least that is one saving grace! I can't see us taking more than 250 down there and they hardly pull in the crowds, averaging less than 1000 like DA mentioned in the other draw thread. I can see the gate being lower than their average for this one as it certainly isn't a 'pull' for Dover either is it. It will be a gate of 800 maximum. They are on a great run at the moment in the Conference too so as well as the lack of glamour it is very, very tough, probably harder than if we had been drawn away at actual football league opposition who would have been more likely to have possibly took it a bit easy or underestimated us.

View user profile

5 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Mon Oct 26 2015, 21:02

Old Codger wrote:Google maps may well say 31/2 hours but that goes right out of the window IF there is an accident anywhere on the M6 or M25, believe me I know at my cost !

I seem the journey back in 1993 taking a lot longer than that, more like 5 hours each way from memory and there was less traffic in those days.

They are unbeaten at home in the league, but obviously this is the cup so that becomes irrelevant as anything can happen. And considering their position in the league they don't get very big crowds, so if we could take more supporters and out sing them it would certainly help. Plus we seem to play better against teams that are doing well.

As to going down on Friday, a nice idea for those who can afford it, but for the rest of us it will be a long journey both ways on the day. Question is will anyone considering staying overnight agree to share a room with TCP Laughing

View user profile

6 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Mon Oct 26 2015, 21:10

sirsmileriiii wrote:
Old Codger wrote:Google maps may well say 31/2 hours but that goes right out of the window IF there is an accident anywhere on the M6 or M25, believe me I know at my cost !

I seem the journey back in 1993 taking a lot longer than that, more like 5 hours each way from memory and there was less traffic in those days.

They are unbeaten at home in the league, but obviously this is the cup so that becomes irrelevant as anything can happen.  And considering their position in the league they don't get very big crowds, so if we could take more supporters and out sing them it would certainly help.  Plus we seem to play better against teams that are doing well.

As to going down on Friday, a nice idea for those who can afford it, but for the rest of us it will be a long journey both ways on the day.  Question is will anyone considering staying overnight agree to share a room with TCP Laughing

The thought of that couldn't be any worse than the thought of sharing with the Beast a few years back when he had his little 'accident' in the hotel room in Newquay when we were away at Truro!

View user profile

7 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Mon Oct 26 2015, 21:28

Just been reading their forum here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And I really loved this comment -

Postby TheStreetEntertainer » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:08 pm

Their fans are too busy saying we're a poorly supported bunch of hooligans who fancy a tear up.


I wonder why they think we're saying that?  Maybe it's because they are one of the more poorly supported teams in that league.

Some of them are also worried because we beat Kiddy 3-0 in the last round, and they only managed to scrape a win 3-2 when they played them earlier this season.  They certainly don't see it as an easy tie, that's for sure.

And remember, at least we didn't get Stevenage again. Even playing at Dover has got to be better than being drawn against them Wink

View user profile

8 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Mon Oct 26 2015, 22:00

I m sure that most of us disappointed at being drawn against Dover aren't having a dig personally at that club. Its just being in the first round proper you want to have the opportunity of a really big game - if you are going to lose then make it against a league side. Hopefully we can hold them to a draw and then get them back at Amblecote midweek.

I suppose we have been lucky in previous years....

View user profile

9 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Mon Oct 26 2015, 22:16

That's a fair point Jane,we were due a less glamorous match and to be fair,the draw has been very good to us over the last few years even when we've messed up like we did last year.

Considering we long to reach Conference North as soon as possible it's another chance to prove to ourselves that we can cope with higher non league opponenents and we have seasoned ex pro's who won't be in the slightest fazed by playing a Conf Prem side.

I have great memories of beating that lot to win the Southern League Cup in 1993 which in itself was a shock result as I recall.

Strange that that trophy is not mentioned in the club history on Wikipedia.

View user profile

10 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Mon Oct 26 2015, 22:25

Devil's Advocate wrote:That's a fair point Jane,we were due a less glamorous match and to be fair,the draw has been very good to us over the last few years even when we've messed up like we did last year.

Considering we long to reach Conference North as soon as possible it's another chance to prove to ourselves that we can cope with higher non league opponenents and we have seasoned ex pro's who won't be in the slightest fazed by playing a Conf Prem side.

I have great memories of beating that lot to win the Southern League Cup in 1993 which in itself was a shock result as I recall.

Strange that that trophy is not mentioned in the club history on Wikipedia.

It probably isn't the type of draw that Dover would have wanted either so we aren't on our own with being disappointed. Dover were probably hoping for a 'glamour' tie too and on top of that I doubt they will be treating us as a walkover so they wouldn't be necessarily classing it as the 2nd choice 'easy home tie' either so it's a bit of a nothing draw for them too.

View user profile

11 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Mon Oct 26 2015, 23:16

Devil's Advocate wrote:I have great memories of beating that lot to win the Southern League Cup in 1993 which in itself was a shock result as I recall.

Strange that that trophy is not mentioned in the club history on Wikipedia.

Neither is the Southern League Challenge Match that we played there the following pre-season, which they won on penalties after it finished 1-1.

View user profile

12 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Tue Oct 27 2015, 00:33

When I saw the draw my first thought was the same as Jane & DA - we've had some great ties in the past and we were due a disappointing one. That's no disrespect to Dover but I would guess that them away would be just about everyone's least favourite choice. Still, at the very least it will be valuable experience for what is still a young team.

View user profile

13 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Tue Oct 27 2015, 07:00

What a crap draw but gotta grin and bear it,they sound a bit like Halesowen as had a large amount of money disappear out of their bank a few weeks ago! Anyone fancy a sponsored walk there?!

View user profile

14 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Tue Oct 27 2015, 07:01

sirsmileriiii wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:I have great memories of beating that lot to win the Southern League Cup in 1993 which in itself was a shock result as I recall.

Strange that that trophy is not mentioned in the club history on Wikipedia.

Neither is the Southern League Challenge Match that we played there the following pre-season, which they won on penalties after it finished 1-1.

Correction, Smiler, they won it 2-1 after extra time - no penalties that day.

View user profile

15 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Tue Oct 27 2015, 08:04

Dave the Glassboy wrote:
sirsmileriiii wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:I have great memories of beating that lot to win the Southern League Cup in 1993 which in itself was a shock result as I recall.

Strange that that trophy is not mentioned in the club history on Wikipedia.

Neither is the Southern League Challenge Match that we played there the following pre-season, which they won on penalties after it finished 1-1.

Correction, Smiler, they won it 2-1 after extra time - no penalties that day.

My post was based upon what what was written on the Stourbridge web-site by Richard Clark - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That was not the Glassboys' last visit to Dover, of course, as we returned to Kent in the following pre-season for the Southern League Challenge Match (League champions v League Cup winners). This time, Stourbridge needed a last-minute equaliser from Adrian Cooper to force a 1-1 draw and a penalty shoot-out which was won by the home side.

So either he is wrong or it is Correction, Dave Laughing

View user profile

16 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Tue Oct 27 2015, 10:50

Jack

avatar
Admin
I just hope the club are sensible when it comes to coach prices. It isn't a game that's going to attract every day tripper as it is. Surely it makes sense to have them as cheap as possible to attract as many people as possible? This is still an absolutely massive game for us. Irrespective of the opponents. Btw, not sure why some of the snidey comments on here about Dover. If you read the whole of their forum they're actually under no illusions about how hard a game this will be. Not an ounce of big time mentality.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

17 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Tue Oct 27 2015, 10:55

Jack

avatar
Admin
I just hope the club are sensible when it comes to coach prices. It isn't a game that's going to attract every day tripper as it is. Surely it makes sense to have them as cheap as possible to attract as many people as possible? This is still an absolutely massive game for us. Irrespective of the opponents. Btw, not sure why some of the snidey comments on here about Dover. If you read the whole of their forum they're actually under no illusions about how hard a game this will be. Not an ounce of big time mentality.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

18 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Tue Oct 27 2015, 11:48

Jack wrote:I just hope the club are sensible when it comes to coach prices. It isn't a game that's going to attract every day tripper as it is. Surely it makes sense to have them as cheap as possible to attract as many people as possible? This is still an absolutely massive game for us. Irrespective of the opponents. Btw, not sure why some of the snidey comments on here about Dover. If you read the whole of their forum they're actually under no illusions about how hard a game this will be. Not an ounce of big time mentality.


I've never travelled to Dover Jack so i can only surmise that perhaps theres "history" from previous encounters.

I'm sure i've heard Aled and a few of the other stalwarts bringing up past events at Dover?

Good to hear they aren't suffering from a "Billy Big Bollox" attitude to the match.

View user profile

19 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Tue Oct 27 2015, 14:19

baz wrote:Anyone fancy a sponsored walk there?!

As you're obviously keen on the idea & you know the correct route baz, we'll let you start then catch you up later Wink

View user profile

20 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Wed Oct 28 2015, 21:24

Jack wrote:I just hope the club are sensible when it comes to coach prices. It isn't a game that's going to attract every day tripper as it is. Surely it makes sense to have them as cheap as possible to attract as many people as possible?

Coach prices are £20 for members and £25 for non members. I presume by members that they mean season ticket holders?

View user profile

21 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Wed Oct 28 2015, 23:13

Jack

avatar
Admin
No they don't. If you're not a member its 25 quid irrespective of season ticket. I think.

Really disappointed with the club over this. I appreciate the cost of it, but even so, its going to be awfully embarrassing when we have hardly any fans there now. Because I certainly won't be there.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

22 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Wed Oct 28 2015, 23:19

Jack wrote:No they don't. If you're not a member its 25 quid irrespective of season ticket. I think.

If you are right about this, then I won't be going either, especially as we've got Halesowen in the Trophy this Saturday & Wolves at home in the BSC on monday.

After all Dover are not a glamour tie so I can't see other people paying that much to travel either, regardless of the fact it's the FA Cup 1st round.  Especially as you'll have the entry cost on top of that amount as well Rolling Eyes

View user profile

23 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Wed Oct 28 2015, 23:42

I rarely criticise the club but charging £25 is wrong. After all, the FA Cup first round is an unexpected bonus and we get a cut of the gate so the more we take the more money we get back anyway.

View user profile

24 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Wed Oct 28 2015, 23:43

Jack

avatar
Admin
I am wrong, turns out adult STH have membership. So it's erm, 20 quid not 25...

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

25 Re: Dover away in the cup. on Thu Oct 29 2015, 00:06

This season membership is included in with season ticket, but from next year it won't be and will have to be purchased separately.

I don't think per person the prices are that bad, it's a long way to Dover, the difficulty comes when there is a family going - that then adds up. It's a difficult one really.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum