Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys


You are not connected. Please login or register

Ilkeston match.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Ilkeston match. on Mon Oct 19 2015, 22:23

A very dissapointing display in the second half in which an extremely well drilled and skillfull Ilkeston side forensically pulled us apart,it was like watching a chess match where the one player is always three moves ahead,the result felt inevitable even when we were still 1-0 up.

I heard the "tired after the weekend trip" card being played by a few fans tonight but I don't want to hear that,we signed up for Monday's so we just need to "suck it up" as they say.

Chris Lait's energy and drive was the only plus for me tonight and I thought Leon did okay but we were outplayed across the whole park tonight.

Fair play to Ilkeston though,they've never failed to impress me in the last four times we've played them,they are a joy to watch and a credit to their coaching staff.

Well done to their fan's as well,great effort by them.

View user profile

2 Re: Ilkeston match. on Mon Oct 19 2015, 23:05

Missed pace with Dodds not playing, not sure Ben is an out-and-out wide player. Despite his obvious contribution with the goal. He knows he doesn't have enough pace to commit a full back and always looks to come in side, which played into their hands with the three at the back and the extra man in midfield against Tonks and Leon.

Lair it has been on it every time I've seen him so far this season. On the other hand I'm genuinely not sure what Justin Richards brings to the side. Don't think at this level we can afford to carry a striker who's sole contribution is goals; needs to do more.

Ilkeston were decent, we must hope for better on Saturday.

View user profile

3 Re: Ilkeston match. on Mon Oct 19 2015, 23:14

Devil's Advocate wrote:Well done to their fan's as well,great effort by them.

Yes!, with a crowd of 503 it was very embarrassing to be beaten on noise by half a dozen Ilkeston fans.

If the supporters tried getting behind the team during the game they might perform better, instead of which it gets more & more like a "wake" every game.

Best thing is when me & Alex tried make some noise and create an atmosphere during the 2nd half, all the supporters standing around us just turned and stared at us as if we'd committed a crime.

Hope we manage to make more noise on Saturday, although I certainly won't be holding my breath Rolling Eyes

As to the team's performance, yes we did play better during the 1st half and deserved to be 1-0 up at half-time, but by the end of the game Ilkeston were the better team and thoroughly deserved the 3 points.

View user profile

4 Re: Ilkeston match. on Tue Oct 20 2015, 08:09

Disappointing second half,trying to look on the positives,we did have a few chances but best team won on the night,TCP was getting very irate with the performance!

View user profile

5 Ilkeston match on Tue Oct 20 2015, 11:53

A disappointing performance against an Ilkeston side who, it must be said, were very young, fit and skilful and who can be more than a match for any team in our league.

Probably a combination of a very tiring day on Saturday, followed up by another match within just over 48 hours or with the Kiddy game at the back of their minds resulted in too many players falling short of the very high standards of the last few weeks. I exclude Leon and Chris Lait who continues to impress not only with his pace when attacking but also how hard he works when helping in defence. I thought we missed Matt Dodd because, although it is good to see Ben getting back to the Ben we all know and love, he still seems to working his way back to full fitness.

Last night was the first time to question the decision of playing on a Monday but at least it means we have one extra day to prepare for the cup match. It's just bad luck that, of all weeks, Kiddy don't have a match this week.
That only goes to show how much the underdogs we are. But, with quiet confidence, roll on Saturday.

View user profile

6 Re: Ilkeston match. on Tue Oct 20 2015, 12:32

Cannot understand why people keep going on about us playing games on a Monday.  After all surely the team we are playing would have also played on the Saturday either at home or away as well, so I cannot see how that excuse can really be used as they would have been just as tired as us.

It's more likely that they'd got the cup on their minds, especially as it's supposed to be a big game.

View user profile

7 Re: Ilkeston match. on Tue Oct 20 2015, 16:57

High guys Ilkeston fan here . I was one of the fans singing our heads off and thoroughly enjoyed the night. Some of you say you generate much noise but that's a home thing coz we have the sort of problem at home at times. IT'S BLOODY HARD WORK TO GET SOME FANS SINGING . Some of us at the NMG stop in the clock tower end to try and get some sort of singing going. I was very surprised in the first half how many of your fans stayed at the opposite end where we were. At our ground we have asked the club to try and kick towards the covered end in the second half if possible coz we can make more noise . Your covered terrace makes a great atmosphere , we loved it ......
Our very young team seem to be playing miles better now and our last six matches have shown that. Just hope they can on the good work this Saturday against our rivals Grantham. Talking of rivals from us ilson have a great day this sat in your fa cup match.
Our by the way loved the Sunbeam pale ale in your clubhouse , made us sing more .....lol
All the best guys and again good luck v Kidderminster!
Kevilsonlad

View user profile

8 Re: Ilkeston match. on Tue Oct 20 2015, 17:00

Man of the Match voting was as follows:

CHRIS LAIT 13 votes

Kristian Green 11

Leon Broadhurst  9

Dan Scarr
Junior Smikle    { 3

Ben Billingham
Tom Tonks              { 1


The wine was won by JOSH BEDDALL

Thanks to all who took part.



Last edited by Brian Handy on Wed Oct 21 2015, 14:04; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

9 Re: Ilkeston match. on Tue Oct 20 2015, 23:24


Can't argue with the result, we just about shaded the first half whilst not playing as well as we have been, but where outplayed in the second half, a result of Ilkeston being excellent, rather than us playing particularly badly. Thought Smikle and Lait where the most impressive players again.

We where definitely a bit leggy as the game wore on, long traveling and a great shift put in at Bishop Auckland with only a day in between is not ideal. I've been sceptical about Monday nights from the start and am yet to be convinced to change my opinion, I think it needs to be revisited but if I where a betting man would expect it to remain Monday next season.

View user profile

10 Re: Ilkeston match. on Thu Oct 22 2015, 14:04

sirsmileriiii wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:Well done to their fan's as well,great effort by them.

Yes!, with a crowd of 503 it was very embarrassing to be beaten on noise by half a dozen Ilkeston fans.

If the supporters tried getting behind the team during the game they might perform better, instead of which it gets more & more like a "wake" every game.

Best thing is when me & Alex tried make some noise and create an atmosphere during the 2nd half, all the supporters standing around us just turned and stared at us as if we'd committed a crime.

Hope we manage to make more noise on Saturday, although I certainly won't be holding my breath Rolling Eyes

As to the team's performance, yes we did play better during the 1st half and deserved to be 1-0 up at half-time, but by the end of the game Ilkeston were the better team and thoroughly deserved the 3 points.

The atmosphere has been poor generally for a couple of seasons now. Only one or two chants a game Sad not sure what has happened as it used to be really excellent at one stage!

View user profile

11 Re: Ilkeston match. on Thu Oct 22 2015, 14:44

stour_boy wrote:
sirsmileriiii wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:Well done to their fan's as well,great effort by them.

Yes!, with a crowd of 503 it was very embarrassing to be beaten on noise by half a dozen Ilkeston fans.

If the supporters tried getting behind the team during the game they might perform better, instead of which it gets more & more like a "wake" every game.

Best thing is when me & Alex tried make some noise and create an atmosphere during the 2nd half, all the supporters standing around us just turned and stared at us as if we'd committed a crime.

Hope we manage to make more noise on Saturday, although I certainly won't be holding my breath Rolling Eyes

As to the team's performance, yes we did play better during the 1st half and deserved to be 1-0 up at half-time, but by the end of the game Ilkeston were the better team and thoroughly deserved the 3 points.

The atmosphere has been poor generally for a couple of seasons now. Only one or two chants a game Sad not sure what has happened as it used to be really excellent at one stage!

No "Barmy Army" anymore, and no "Barmy Llamas" either. Everyone seems to have either shut up or gone, which is a shame. Not sure if more noise is made at away games as I've not been able to get to any yet this season?

View user profile

12 Re: Ilkeston match. on Fri Oct 23 2015, 09:03

sirsmileriiii wrote:
stour_boy wrote:
sirsmileriiii wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:Well done to their fan's as well,great effort by them.

Yes!, with a crowd of 503 it was very embarrassing to be beaten on noise by half a dozen Ilkeston fans.

If the supporters tried getting behind the team during the game they might perform better, instead of which it gets more & more like a "wake" every game.

Best thing is when me & Alex tried make some noise and create an atmosphere during the 2nd half, all the supporters standing around us just turned and stared at us as if we'd committed a crime.

Hope we manage to make more noise on Saturday, although I certainly won't be holding my breath Rolling Eyes

As to the team's performance, yes we did play better during the 1st half and deserved to be 1-0 up at half-time, but by the end of the game Ilkeston were the better team and thoroughly deserved the 3 points.

The atmosphere has been poor generally for a couple of seasons now. Only one or two chants a game Sad not sure what has happened as it used to be really excellent at one stage!

No "Barmy Army" anymore, and no "Barmy Llamas" either.  Everyone seems to have either shut up or gone, which is a shame.  Not sure if more noise is made at away games as I've not been able to get to any yet this season?

Think the Alliance days were ironically the best days atmosphere wise - but most of the 'behind the goal' group don't come to games anymore for one reason or another.

Can't comment on the away games so far this season. There's been a few "yellows" chants on the various video highlights I've seen.

View user profile

13 Re: Ilkeston match. on Fri Oct 23 2015, 09:56

Can't comment on Saturday away matches as struggle to make them due to work but at Colwyn Bay the other week we had a healthy away support on a wet and windy night,the norm for there i guess! First half we were fairly vocal in the open end but the second half,under cover were very vocal.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum