Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Proposed seating in the Shed End.

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sat Dec 27 2014, 01:07

I'd be interested in everyone's thought's on this subject.

I'm very "old school" with regards to this,i was lucky enough to be a 12 year old at the Welsh Cup Final and was stood in the Shed End in a crowd of 5726 when i would estimate 2000+ stood in the Shed.

For the life of me i can't understand this rush to put 250 seats into the best part of the ground and the part that can generate such a fantastic atmosphere as there was today.

As long as two years ago i spoke with the chairman and tried to argue the point that putting proper crash barriers into the Shed would be the best way forward as it would instantly increase the capacity for days such as big cup matches and would help on days like today.

With barriers capacity would be around 1000 these days i would guess,much better than 250 seats.

Surely the new plans could be re-looked at to find a way of getting the requisite seating put into other areas of the ground,especially the Church end,along the sides of the pitch and possibly in the areas either sides of the Shed?

Don't get me wrong folks,after attending the meeting with Andy and Gary the other week it's very clear that a lot of unheralded work goes on behind the scenes and i don't mean this post in anyway as rampant criticism but i do think it's something that is worthy of discussion if enough people feel strongly about it and chatting to the club about more fully.

If i'm in the minority then thats not a problem.

View user profile

2 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sat Dec 27 2014, 01:29

Devil's Advocate wrote:I'd be interested in everyone's thought's on this subject.

I'm very "old school" with regards to this,i was lucky enough to be a 12 year old at the Welsh Cup Final and was stood in the Shed End in a crowd of 5726 when i would estimate 2000+ stood in the Shed.

For the life of me i can't understand this rush to put 250 seats into the best part of the ground and the part that can generate such a fantastic atmosphere as there was today.

As long as two years ago i spoke with the chairman and tried to argue the point that putting proper crash barriers into the Shed would be the best way forward as it would instantly increase the capacity for days such as big cup matches and would help on days like today.

With barriers capacity would be around 1000 these days i would guess,much better than 250 seats.

Surely the new plans could be re-looked at to find a way of getting the requisite seating put into other areas of the ground,especially the Church end,along the sides of the pitch and possibly in the areas either sides of the Shed?

Don't get me wrong folks,after attending the meeting with Andy and Gary the other week it's very clear that a lot of unheralded work goes on behind the scenes and i don't mean this post in anyway as rampant criticism but i do think it's something that is worthy of discussion if enough people feel strongly about it and chatting to the club about more fully.

If i'm in the minority then thats not a problem.

I agree DA, seating the Shed should be avoided at all cost. Surely just as a cost effective option to provide the number of seats to meet ground grading requirements would be to install a semi-permanent stand at the Church End such as they have behind the goal at Brackley and Frome, two examples that spring immediately to mind. They have seats bolted on to a moveable steel structure that could easily be assembled and I wouldn't have thought would fall foul of any petty council planning requirements.

View user profile

3 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sat Dec 27 2014, 08:46

Haven't seen the plans as I didn't make it to the open evening the other week, but it strikes me that seats in the Shed wil be the cheapest way of achieving the necessary ground grading. Most weeks there's usually only a handful in the shed (and often none when we're kicking towards the Church End) so on balance it seems the sensible thing to do. Putting seats in the wings stands wouldn't work as the terraces would need to be raised to get the sight lines right and I would imagine that there would be objections to a Church End meccano stand from the developer on the old war memorial club - blocking light or something. Plus I can't imagine those stands come cheap-i think I'm remember reading that the one at Frome cost six figures, and you'd lose all the standing at the Church End.

Ground grading is an ass, but if we want to progress surely sometimes sacrifices have to be made?

View user profile

4 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sat Dec 27 2014, 09:45

I nearly agree with Nath - I think it should be avoided unless the cost of putting seats elsewhere is excessive. If it has to be done, presumably we don't need to seat the whole Shed - seats could be put towards the front and standing still be allowed behind. Is this what the plans show?

View user profile

5 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sat Dec 27 2014, 10:30

Jack

Admin
Having heard about this 3 times now; AGM, Q&A & Andy on the way back from a game, I think I've got the general understanding.

1) The club need to install flip up seats for our level, the next level and the level above that.

2) Financially, we do not have the money to erect a completely new stand at the Church End of the goal, at this present time. If/When the money becomes available through grants, Cup runs etc etc it may be looked at again. They are aware of the issue.

3) The Shed End, ISN'T going to be All-Seater as far as I know. Seats across the front, terracing at the back.

4) There is NO other area of the ground feasible to fill the quota. Due to the positioning of the ground, geographically, it is a nightmare for the club to have seats across the side. The whole stand would have to be raised up.

5) The sides as mentioned as a possible alternative are due for a makeover themselves.

My personal view is that while it's not favorable, I get why it has to be done. Playing Devils advocate as well, as already stated, there are very small numbers most games in there anyway. I'd suggest there would be more in the 2 standing stands across the side. So why should they lose out, just for when the day trippers come? It's catch 22 and ultimately, one group are going to be left annoyed. Moreover, as long as the club don't employ over zealous, jobsworth Stewards like in the past, just because there is a seat behind you, doesn't mean you actually have to sit down. Many clubs-mainly away from home-don't sit down. As long as the stewards aren't in your face about sitting, there isn't necessarily:face: an issue with standing, still.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

6 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sat Dec 27 2014, 10:32

Agree with Phil - I need to know the full plans before making a comment.

How many seats will it be? The shed is a long stand so quite a lot of seats could be fit in on one row of terracing - and it would actually work well if say we had 5 rows of seats at the front and then terracing behind.

It would mean that for 99% of our home games our fans could stand anyway, but it would also give away fans some seats in the event of segregation eg FC United. I seem to remember some Biggleswade fans moaning about lack of seats for the cup match - this would solve that problem.

It's never going to be ideal - ground grading is simply jumping through hoops in the most cost effective way - the fact that we think it is feasible to gain Conference standard ground grading would have been unthinkable not so long ago.

View user profile

7 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sat Dec 27 2014, 10:36

Read Jack's post after i had made mine - thanks for that Jack, that's most helpful.

Do you know how many seats it is going to be?

View user profile

8 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sat Dec 27 2014, 10:43

Jack

Admin
No I don't sorry. Some of what i put may not be 100%, I'm just going off memory, but it's certainly the general gist.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

9 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sat Dec 27 2014, 16:25

Jack is correct the plans showed seating all across the front of the shed with standing at the back, but I could not tell how many rows of each there were.

View user profile

10 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sat Dec 27 2014, 18:55

Brian Handy wrote:Jack is correct the plans showed seating all across the front of  the shed with standing at the back, but I could not tell how many rows of each there were.

In this case, I can't see a problem with seating the front section of the Shed at all then. There will be enough terracing at the rear of the seats to keep the traditional behind the goal standers happy as well as meeting the grading requirements. Perfect!

View user profile

11 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sat Dec 27 2014, 23:25

That sounds a good compromise. As several previous posters have said, it's not heavily used for most games; there's certainly less go in there now than used to, possibly because it's harder to get to since access via the cricket pitch as stopped.

My only worry is that the Shed is known throughout non-league football as possibly the most rigorously stewarded area of any ground. The steward who's usually in there is a right 'un.

View user profile

12 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sun Dec 28 2014, 08:31

dave w wrote:That sounds a good compromise. As several previous posters have said, it's not heavily used for most games; there's certainly less go in there now than used to, possibly because it's harder to get to since access via the cricket pitch as stopped.

My only worry is that the Shed is known throughout non-league football as possibly the most rigorously stewarded area of any ground. The steward who's usually in there is a right 'un.

A right jobsworth....THE tyrant of the stewarding world.

View user profile

13 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sun Dec 28 2014, 08:54

Really? I'll have to keep an eye on him then!

View user profile

14 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sun Dec 28 2014, 09:51

I advise you do Dave,you can't miss him,always stood there barking his orders.

View user profile

15 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sun Dec 28 2014, 23:01

After years of frequenting the shed end, I rarely venture that far these days. For a number of years I've preferred the side stands. Comes with age I guess!

I can't see any problem with what the club are proposing, as has been mentioned, there's rarely more than 50-100 people in there most match days, and the front few rows taken by seating wouldn't prevent that. It's also better on segregated games that seating is available for opposing fans.

The club needs to fulfill it's criteria obligations, and it makes more sense this way than spending a fortune on a 10x8 meccano set at the church end.

View user profile

16 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Mon Dec 29 2014, 18:30

If the plans involve both seating and standing area's in the shed then I don't have a problem with it.  Just a pity something couldn't have been built at the other end to help create a better atmosphere, but obviously that's out because of the cost.

Somewhere I've still got a newspaper article about the wonderful plans Mr Driscoll had for the ground after he failed to move us out to Wassell Grove.

How about putting that grass bank back at the church end that used to be next to the old wooden stand, I'm sure health & safety would love that Wink

View user profile

17 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Mon Dec 29 2014, 23:12

We also have the problem that building on either side is out or impractical because of the drop.

View user profile

18 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Mon Dec 29 2014, 23:39

Not to mention to secret labyrinth that doth lie beneath.

View user profile

19 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Thu Jan 08 2015, 22:03

Rest assured. The seats in the Shed end will be fitted with commodes so you muppets can Go to the toilet without moving

View user profile

20 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Thu Jan 08 2015, 22:13

village wrote:Rest assured. The seats in the Shed end will be fitted with commodes so you muppets can Go to the toilet without moving

Superb,we have an imposter.... love it village,keep them coming.

Last edited by Tricky Tree on Thu Jan 08 2015, 22:14; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

21 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Thu Jan 08 2015, 22:14

Looks like some idiot has lost its Village.

View user profile

22 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Fri Jan 09 2015, 16:59

village wrote:Rest assured. The seats in the Shed end will be fitted with commodes so you muppets can Go to the toilet without moving

We don't need commodes, we'll just stand in the corner to do it like Beast did once.

And why can't people use names on here that make themselves easy to recognise instead of hiding behind a pseudonym.

Question? Is he one of the "Village" people, and has he ever been in the navy Laughing

P.S: Out of all the Muppets, I wan't to be the "Swedish Chef"

View user profile

23 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sun Jan 11 2015, 13:42

In an attempt to bring some unity back to this forum, and he might not thank me for saying this but how about calling the new part-seated Shed the Hugh Clark Stand?

View user profile

24 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sun Jan 11 2015, 16:40

Only if they play 1950's music through the tannoy at that end Dave : )

View user profile

25 Re: Proposed seating in the Shed End. on Sun Jan 11 2015, 16:41

Along with the obligatory blowing through the microphone before any announcements!

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum