Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nantwich Tuesday

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Nantwich Tuesday on Mon Sep 01 2014, 19:44

Isn't anybody interested in tomorrow night's match?
Seems to me that after three games without a goal we really need to get back on track and get three points. I know it is only early, but we don't want to drop too far off the pace.
Didn't see the Workington game but the defence looked reasonably sound against Rushall so we just need to improve in the attacking third of the field.
If this is the first time we've ever played Nantwich then we don't want to be too hospitable on the pitch.

View user profile

2 Re: Nantwich Tuesday on Tue Sep 02 2014, 12:11

barnstoneworth wrote:Isn't anybody interested in tomorrow night's match?
Seems to me that after three games without a goal we really need to get back on track and get three points. I know it is only early, but we don't want to drop too far off the pace.
Didn't see the Workington game but the defence looked reasonably sound against Rushall so we just need to improve in the attacking third of the field.
If this is the first time we've ever played Nantwich then we don't want to be too hospitable on the pitch.

I agree totally with everything you've said, and scoring a goal may be just the thing to help the team regain it's confidence.

So I will say 1-0 to stour, and COYG cheers

3 Nantwich Tuesday on Tue Sep 02 2014, 22:54

One of the most entertaining and open games seen for a long time at home, with Nantwich contributing with a never-say-die attitude.

We started the game at a very fast pace, hardly giving Nantwich time to catch their breath and we were well worth our early 3 goal lead, with Luke playing like a man inspired. When they scored, you could sense they were not going to give up.

The second half saw us start a bit more cautiously but we soon picked up the tempo with shots raining in on their goal from all angles. The goals continued to come and,even though our defence was creaking towards the end, we were still looking to score.

The much-maligned Drew put in a good shift in the centre of midfield, so much so that the 'rested' Sean was, on this occasion, hardly missed.

Luke was clearly the star, not only because of his hat trick, but also his all-round play. Brownie and Will, although still looking a bit raw as a forward, also contributed to a very positive attacking display.

Well done lads !

View user profile

4 nantwich tuesday on Tue Sep 02 2014, 23:12

Agree with redpike a very entertaining game I thought everyone upped their game tonight a few moments of madness gave them 2 goals but apart from this well done to the lads the talk on the terraces was why was sean not in the squad is he injured

View user profile

5 Re: Nantwich Tuesday on Tue Sep 02 2014, 23:23

Just back to sunny Worcester and I have to agree with most of what redpike has said.....most but not all.

Rumour has it that Sean was the sacrificial lamb, how true that is I don't know.
At least Gary managed to shoehorn Drew into the side.....shock horror.

View user profile

6 Re: Nantwich Tuesday on Tue Sep 02 2014, 23:26

Also.....
Decent, noisy away following,fair play, makes a nice change.

View user profile

7 Re: Nantwich Tuesday on Tue Sep 02 2014, 23:28

Word on the street was that Sean was told he was sub and informed the management where they could stick the bench. Anyway, a cracking game and the opening half-hour was the best I've seen the team play for a long while. Pity about the defensive cock-up but at least they kept interest alive until the end.

View user profile

8 Re: Nantwich Tuesday on Wed Sep 03 2014, 10:36

barnstoneworth wrote:Didn't see the Workington game but the defence looked reasonably sound against Rushall so we just need to improve in the attacking third of the field.

You certainly got what you wished for! The defence were reasonably sound again but less so than previously, but no matter, our play in the attacking third had done enough to see us home.

An entertaining game against a hard-working Nantwich side, who brought a very decent, noisy following with them.

First three goals were superb for us, then a slight slip from Knight saw them pull one goal back. Knight then made amends early in the second half (we nearly always seem to win if we come out positively in the second half) then they scored again. No matter, Benbow finished superbly for his hat-trick and our fifth, before a defensive howler from Dean, who was excellent up to that point, saw them score a third.

Our play in that opening period was absolutely fantastic. Super finish from Luke, and then three moments of quality for the second. Harris out to Haynes on the wing, great cross and Luke headed home in the centre. Third was a powerful run and finish from Brown.

Overall thought we were very good, and Drew certainly looks much better in the centre of the park than out on the wing.

On another note I didn't think that we were missing Sean at any point during the match. And regardless of whether he should have played or deserved to have been dropped, to refuse to go onto the bench (if true) is just a bad attitude on his part. It's a long season and nobody should expect to have a permanent slot in the starting XI for every game.

Will certainly be interesting to see who plays on Saturday at Trafford. Looking forward to it (especially the free drink!)

View user profile

9 Re: Nantwich Tuesday on Wed Sep 03 2014, 15:48

A not exactly objective report from the other side. http://www.nantwichtownfc.co.uk/?p=10305

View user profile

10 Re: Nantwich Tuesday on Wed Sep 03 2014, 17:26

Well I hoped for a reaction to Saturdays insipid display and I certainly got that. Well done to all the players for showing what they are made of and putting the pride and passion back into wearing a Stour shirt. Credit too to Gary & his team for getting that response.

A good entertaining game in which we played some excellent football. Credit to the Nantwich supporters who never stopped supporting their team and create a good atmosphere throughout the game.

Man of the Match was a close run affair with Luke edging it with 27 votes, Louis & Kayelden receiving 1 each.

The wine was won by IAN HICKLIN.

View user profile

11 Re: Nantwich Tuesday on Wed Sep 03 2014, 21:45

I thought before last night's game that if we where to end the recent slump it would be straight out of the blockes with a bang, it was certainly that.

The first half hour was superb, as we caused mayhem everytime we went forward, Benbow's hat trick was as good as any i've seen and Brown's goal wasn't bad either, playing Richards up front worked well last night. Some great banter in the second half with the away followers, can still hear that drum!

It was always going to be hard to keep that up, as the visitors tennaciouly hung on, they where finding a few holes by the end and could have had a couple more goals, two of them where poor to concede and it's a good job we had the two goal cushion, but we also could have had a hatful more with some of the chances created. An excellent evening's entertainment, good job there was a replacement for the "retired hurt" linesman, I wonder if we plan for this contigencey? as Clifton seemed seemed to pull this guy out of the stand in a flash!

I saw Geddes sitting down before the match with a very unhappy expression, and heard general talk during the evening about "issues" in the camp. It's disapointing to hear such things and as always from the outside looking in, hard to know what's true and what is isn't. IF he did refuse to be on the bench, that's a very poor show.

View user profile

12 Re: Nantwich Tuesday on Fri Sep 05 2014, 10:00

Jack

Admin
Think Stour get a lot of stick on here, some justified, when we lose so its only fair they get the acknowledgment when they play well. For the first half hour we were dominant. Luke will get all the plaudits for a stunning hattrick. We really have missed him, and to have him back and now seemingly fit and raring for action is great to see. However, I personally was very impressed with the attitude of Kayo. Being on the wing isn't his favourite position by any means, however, he put 100% in and I actually thought he played much better than he has at any point this season. 1 tthing being on the wing does for him is allow him to drive in at the defence as the goal showed. And again, Louis. He had a classy impact on the 2nd goal, but an even bigger impact on the first making a last ditch challenge into the path of Luke. Thought we did look a little suspect at times at the back however that 3 is still relatively new to the position. Wouldn't really pay to much attention to the Geddes rumours. Yes, he did look miffed when I walked past him, but I really doubt our club captain would storm off. People like to gossip and I'll be amazed and dissapointed if this proves to be any different. Overall a much needed win, and roll on Saturday and then Tuesday.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

13 Re: Nantwich Tuesday on Fri Sep 05 2014, 16:29

I don't know what happened with the Geddes situation, but I'd rather him be pissed off for not being included, at least he will know he is un droppable, and from how Sean usually acts will be a great incentive to put in the hard work to get back into the team, just goes to show that any "favourites" within the camp are droppable, and the coaching staff should be applauded for that and they were rightl vindicated by dropping not only our captain but our best player with a resounding victory.

View user profile

14 Re: Nantwich Tuesday on Fri Sep 05 2014, 17:25

NickSFCB wrote:I don't know what happened with the Geddes situation, but I'd rather him be pissed off for not being included, at least he will know he is un droppable, and from how Sean usually acts will be a great incentive to put in the hard work to get back into the team, just goes to show that any "favourites" within the camp are droppable, and the coaching staff should be applauded for that and they were rightl vindicated by dropping not only our captain but our best player with a resounding victory.

Any favourites are droppable???.....Isn't Drew THE favourite????!!!

View user profile

15 Re: Nantwich Tuesday on Fri Sep 05 2014, 20:58

It was the best 30 minutes I have seen for a long time that put us three up.

We gave a goal away with Chris perhaps trying to clear with the wrong foot.

Second half we started better than normal. Their second goal we had enough chances to clear. Third goal was just another bad day for the defence.

Difference from previous matches this season we played at a higher tempi passed it quicker than any other game this season.

Obviously with Luke we have a striker who knows where the goal is. I had a go at Kyo but I think wide left is his best position which allows him to attack their defence better than when he is in the middle. So we'll done to him.

As for the Geddes situation for me this season he doesn't look fit. No urgency in his game as was seen at kings lynn when taking corners at the end of the game. Trotted instead of running. We were quicker with our passing on Tuesday than any other game this season.

If he refused to be on the bench then the management need to sort this out and quick. Tuesday was perhaps the best team spirt we have had this season..

As for the Drew situation firstly he ain't a wide player. Not one of our star players. Have seen every game he ain't let us down in my opinion.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum