Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys


You are not connected. Please login or register

The new club badge.

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 The new club badge. on Wed Jun 04 2014, 13:57

Why?

What is the point?

I like tradition and heritage,there was nothing wrong with the old one ( when printed properly! )

Personally i don't like this new one.

If something had to be changed then perhaps we could've gone back to using black shorts like we did in the halcyon day's of the 70's and we could've looked at getting rid of that yellow and green monstrosity of an away kit.

Sad to see the old badge depart,Brockmoor will be livid,he'll have to change his Avatar Shocked 

View user profile

2 Re: The new club badge. on Wed Jun 04 2014, 14:27

This passed me by until just now.

Disagree totally with changing it without even consulting the fans. Doesn't matter whether I like the new badge or not - I disagree with the very idea of changing it.

I'm mystified as to why? I see that it's more like the town badge, but not sure why we needed to change to this given we had pictorial references to the town badge in the old one anyway.

Can you imagine the outcry if this happened at a league club? Didn't Everton do it and it went down terribly with the fans.

Bad we had to find out via a kit ordering page as well, not even an announcement?

View user profile

3 Re: The new club badge. on Wed Jun 04 2014, 14:33

On the other hand, great to see you can buy online, and the away kit too. Finally won't look like I'm wearing the opposition kit when we play away at a team in red.

I'll still be buying the home and away kit, about time I replaced my ageing home shirt - think the first ever Bhandal kit whenever that was. A few years at least.

Still sucks they changed the logo though!

View user profile

4 Re: The new club badge. on Wed Jun 04 2014, 16:20

I've surprised myself by actually liking the new badge! I'm usually a fuddy-duddy who doesn't like change but if you're talking about "traditional" this seems to be more like what I imagine the original club badge would have been like. The one it's replacing would probably have been introduced some time in the 70s at a guess, so how "traditional" that is depends on when you started supporting Stour. Personally, I've always thought the old badge wan't "traditional" enough. Like the Leeds "smiley" badge or Wolves "Wolf's head" it always struck me as too modern.

You want "traditional" football. How about no goal nets, no offsides, handling allowed? How far back do you want to go?

Totally off topic, and possibly completely irrelevant, but I once heard a radio debate about changes in Rugby League and some supporters were saying they didn't want any changes at all, they just wanted the "traditional" game. They had no answer when another caller said that if you wanted to take that to it's logical conclusion then that meant playing 15-a-side with line-outs and so on, ie. Rugby Union, because those were the original "League" rules when it split from Union in the 1890s.

I have some sympathy with the point that supporters could have been consulted but ultimately it's just a badge on a shirt.

View user profile

5 Re: The new club badge. on Wed Jun 04 2014, 17:10

TRM wrote:I've surprised myself by actually liking the new badge! I'm usually a fuddy-duddy who doesn't like change but if you're talking about "traditional" this seems to be more like what I imagine the original club badge would have been like. The one it's replacing would probably have been introduced some time in the 70s at a guess, so how "traditional" that is depends on when you started supporting Stour. Personally, I've always thought the old badge wan't "traditional" enough. Like the Leeds "smiley" badge or Wolves "Wolf's head" it always struck me as too modern.

You want "traditional" football. How about no goal nets, no offsides, handling allowed? How far back do you want to go?

Totally off topic, and possibly completely irrelevant, but I once heard a radio debate about changes in Rugby League and some supporters were saying they didn't want any changes at all, they just wanted the "traditional" game. They had no answer when another caller said that if you wanted to take that to it's logical conclusion then that meant playing 15-a-side with line-outs and so on, ie. Rugby Union, because those were the original "League" rules when it split from Union in the 1890s.

I have some sympathy with the point that supporters could have been consulted but ultimately it's just a badge on a shirt.

Why change it?

What was wrong with it?

Why were the fan's not asked?

Let me pose another question.

Most people ( i think ) are proud of the fact we play a "The War Memorial"………………………….what if it's suddenly announced that it's now the "Lawnswood Fencing Arena",are we happy with that?

View user profile

6 Re: The new club badge. on Wed Jun 04 2014, 18:18

We have a choice,dont like dont buy! The last home shirt i had about 3 years ago took 2-3 month to arrive!

View user profile

7 Re: The new club badge. on Wed Jun 04 2014, 21:16

I see we will still have the negativity of DA and the season has yet to start cant wait for more as it always makes good reading. I love opinions.

View user profile

8 Re: The new club badge. on Wed Jun 04 2014, 21:58

Devil's Advocate wrote:Why change it?

Why not?

Devil's Advocate wrote:What was wrong with it?

Nothing.

Devil's Advocate wrote:Why were the fan's not asked?

No idea.

Devil's Advocate wrote:Let me pose another question.

Most people ( i think ) are proud of the fact we play a "The War Memorial"………………………….what if it's suddenly announced that it's now the "Lawnswood Fencing Arena",are we happy with that?

Personally I'd still call it Amblecote (the War Memorial Athletic Ground is too much of a mouthful), unless acting in an official sort of capacity such as on the website or twitter. I'm not stupid enough not to realise the importance of commercial reality to a club like Stourbridge. Doesn't mean I like it or that it doesn't feel a bit tacky.

As it happens, I like the new badge. As long as that's ok with you?

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

View user profile

9 Re: The new club badge. on Wed Jun 04 2014, 22:12

rasam wrote:I see we will still have the negativity of DA and the season has yet to start cant wait for more as it always makes good reading. I love opinions.


I thought you'd run off crying a few months ago.

One again,you appear and again you have a personal agenda just like before.

Thankfully,most posters on here can make their point without "digging out" an individual,you clearly can't.

As an "ex proffessional" footballer ( we know not for who or in what decade this was ),you clearly will have a much valued opinion,i can hardly wait for it……..so what's your thought's on the badge?

View user profile

10 Re: The new club badge. on Wed Jun 04 2014, 22:18

TRM wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:Why change it?

Why not?

Devil's Advocate wrote:What was wrong with it?

Nothing.

Devil's Advocate wrote:Why were the fan's not asked?

No idea.

Devil's Advocate wrote:Let me pose another question.

Most people ( i think ) are proud of the fact we play a "The War Memorial"………………………….what if it's suddenly announced that it's now the "Lawnswood Fencing Arena",are we happy with that?

Personally I'd still call it Amblecote (the War Memorial Athletic Ground is too much of a mouthful), unless acting in an official sort of capacity such as on the website or twitter. I'm not stupid enough not to realise the importance of commercial reality to a club like Stourbridge. Doesn't mean I like it or that it doesn't feel a bit tacky.

As it happens, I like the new badge. As long as that's ok with you?

We'll just have to agree to disagree.


"As it happens, I like the new badge. As long as that's ok with you?


That's fine with me TRM but it leaves me wondering………………yesterday a Tweet was sent to the Twitter account that announced a contributor wasn't keen on the new badge,that Tweet then mysteriously disappeared for a while before suddenly appearing again.

Why would that be?

Is "Big Brother" watching Laughing ?

View user profile

11 Re: The new club badge. on Wed Jun 04 2014, 22:39

I like the badge and it looks good on the kit, the gripe I have is that (a) we weren't consulted / told beforehand and (b) there was no official announcement and we've had to find out from the Soccer kings website.

As I said I'm going to buy the kit, I won't let it fester and not really angry, but I think 'twas badly done.

View user profile

12 Re: The new club badge. on Wed Jun 04 2014, 22:43

DA - the only person who can delete a tweet is the person who sent it, nobody else.

View user profile

13 Re: The new club badge. on Wed Jun 04 2014, 23:11

TRM wrote:DA - the only person who can delete a tweet is the person who sent it, nobody else.


I'm not a contributor to Twitter TRM so i'll bow to your knowledge on that score.


Going back to the issue of the badge itself,i can accept that i may be in the minority in regards to preferring the old one.

My point is more in regard to club PR,as Stourboy stated there was no consultation with the fan's about this change,i think the club has to be a bit better at this sort of stuff.

I speak as an Albion fan who know's all about poor PR and the negative effect it can have,Albion had an appalling season in PR terms last year culminating in the disgraceful treatment of Jeff Astle's family and the the riding "roughshod" over the feeling's of the fan's.

To consult with fan's and to be "inclusive" in matters such as this and changes to kit styles/colours is very simple and effective as far as PR is concerned,that's my real point.

The header at the top of this forum is out of date by the way Jack  Mad Laughing 

View user profile

14 Re: The new club badge. on Thu Jun 05 2014, 07:18

I'd agree with the point about PR. Personally it doesn't bother me not to be consulted but I know that others will feel differently. For what it's worth, though, the Hull City poll on their proposed name change saw well over 60% not vote at all (not even abstain out of protest at the biased way the questions were worded), which perhaps shows that even on an apparently outrageous issue like that there is a silent majority who, for whatever reason, simply couldn't give a stuff!

The Club shouldn't ignore the supporters - even if, say, only 5% of fans don't like not being asked that's 5% no club can afford to lose touch with, especially as they are likely to be amongst the most committed.

I still like the new badge though!


I've checked back on twitter and there were only two negative comments about the badge, both of which I retweeted, thereby giving them a much wider audience - hardly supression of dissent! I did add a comment that you can't please all of the people all of the time!

View user profile

15 Re: The new club badge. on Thu Jun 05 2014, 12:27

Jack

avatar
Admin
Mixed opinions on the badge. On the home kit it looks horrendous. Way to big for the stripes and unless my eyes deceive me a different shade of red?! The away kit however I think it looks quite good, as it does on the hoodies.

However, the one glaring issue, which I didn't think about it is, why were the most important people in the club not even consulted? Us, the fans. It does seem bizarre. However, at the end of the day, its not the biggest issue in the world. As DA said, a ground name change would be much much worse.

Also TRM I've DM'd the Stour Twitter account, cheers.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

16 Re: The new club badge. on Thu Jun 05 2014, 18:08

Why such a fuss about a club badge I agree and disagree with the comments but call me a tradionalist if this was the original badge then fair play.As for the most important people in the club well the fans are important then I am also led to believe there are fans behind the scenes who do an awful lot of voluntary work and then of course there is the chairman who again I am told puts a tremendous amount of unpaid work into the club so many thoughts are he along with the volunteers should rightly have a major say. Important people I will give that one a miss. Keep smiling, in my day you would have just got on with it.

View user profile

17 Re: The new club badge. on Thu Jun 05 2014, 22:12

My biggest gripe with the new badge is the same as the old one in that it's in the bloody middle again when it should be on either side.

Trivial point in the scheme of things but club badges just look wrong in the middle.

View user profile

18 Re: The new club badge. on Sat Jun 07 2014, 07:15

Personally I really like it and think it looks great on the home shirt and even think it looks good in the middle, that's not to say that I didn't like the previous one though.

View user profile

19 Re: The new club badge. on Sat Jun 07 2014, 15:26

I've got no problem whatsoever with the new badge, in fact I prefer it to the badge from last season. I also don't really care that the fact the fans weren't consulted. I'm sure Dave will correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't randy Lerner consult with the villa fans in 2007 and we came up with the current monstrosity of a badge? 
I do agree with DTG though that the placement if the badge looks out of place in nearly all shirts where it is in the middle of the top.

View user profile

20 Re: The new club badge. on Sun Jun 08 2014, 00:33

NickSFCB wrote:I've got no problem whatsoever with the new badge, in fact I prefer it to the badge from last season. I also don't really care that the fact the fans weren't consulted. I'm sure Dave will correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't randy Lerner consult with the villa fans in 2007 and we came up with the current monstrosity of a badge? 
I do agree with DTG though that the placement if the badge looks out of place in nearly all shirts where it is in the middle of the top.

The survey was worded so that he got the badge he wanted (and reportedly designed).

View user profile

21 Re: The new club badge. on Tue Jun 10 2014, 18:49

Guest


Guest
Personally I couldn't care less what badge we wear as long as we win matches, although I would have preferred the club to change the away strip as other fans have commented on here.  And yes it should be on the side not in the middle.

I just hope we never go down the same route as Albion, and change our strip to pinstripes.

Also Rasam you have to remember that this forum would be completely boring if everyone's comments were positive all the time, so it's good to have people like DA on here. It gives us someone to disagree with Laughing 

You never know if you tell us which team you played for, he may give us all a shock and change his attitude to a positive one Wink 

22 Re: The new club badge. on Fri Jun 13 2014, 09:47

The only bad thing about being able to order kit online is that I could easily blow £100+ on all the stuff I want to buy!

Home & away shirt are a minimum but also mulling over the hoody and/or polo top.

View user profile

23 Re: The new club badge. on Fri Jun 13 2014, 12:45

BTW just what is that animal being hung from the bridge?

View user profile

24 Re: The new club badge. on Fri Jun 13 2014, 14:53

Dave the Glassboy wrote:BTW just what is that animal being hung from the bridge?

A fleece, apologies if that is not how you spell it DA or Ethan ;-).

View user profile http://www.nibadges.com

25 Re: The new club badge. on Fri Jun 13 2014, 15:52

Guest


Guest
Surely it should be a Llama being hung from the bridge Wink 

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum