Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

West Brom - BSC

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 08:34

Always hard to predict these games - generally the League clubs' kids play "good football" and can attack with a bit of pace and zest but they can be a bit out-fought sometimes and obviously lack experience. All cliched stuff, but it tends to be true.

I reckon we'll win but as usual a lot may depend on what sort of team we put out. I'd like to see a slightly stronger midfield than against Evesham and I hope we don't rest on our laurels again if we find ourselves "comfortable" at any stage.

Hope for 400+ through the gate as well.

View user profile

2 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 12:53

Am I right in thinking Harris is cup tied as I thought he had played for Tamworth in a previous round.

Also we didn't have a youth team player on the bench on Saturday.

So if you take the 10 who started Saturday add to that the 5 subs plus Bennett, Rock and Birch means Gary can chose if all fit and available from 18 players.

Do we rest anybody or go for the strongest 11.

Even if we do rest some surely there is no need to have any youth team members on the bench.

View user profile

3 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 13:12

I hope we can get the win and progress for no other good reason than hopefully drawing Hednesford and beating them.

Although i'm an Albion fan Stour come first on these sort of nights but i must say that i'd prefer it if league teams were not involved.

View user profile

4 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 13:22

Harris is definitely cup-tied. Played for Tamworth at Rugby in the last round.

I don't know what Gary has in mind for Saturday, but if he's planning to partner Luke and Tommy then I would be inclined to start with those two tonight and give them as much chance as possible to build a relationship. Did Luke come on at Arlesey?

I'd like to think Murphy would get another chance off the bench, particularly as the Youth Team don't have a game this week. Obviously that may depend on hyow the game is going, though.

I'd play our strongest possible team without risking any niggles. I'd stick with Leon and Will at the back, although Harris's absence might force Leon into midfield. After a while out Nathan might be a bit rusty against the sort of pace the pro clubs' kids often have up front.

View user profile

5 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 13:34

Luke came on Saturday for the last ten minutes perhaps and played right side of a midfield.

If we want to win this match then there is no need to field youth team players it doesn't work.

As DA said in a previous thread the lad who is now at Brentford didn't get a look in and he must have been the best we have had over the last couple of years. Tibbetts scored loads of goals for the youth and also looked out of his depth when he played.

We have to make one change in midfield due to Harris and I would think that means Fitz will come in. Bennett should be on the bench just in case we can afford to give him 20 minutes or so to easy him back in. The only other one I would perhaps change is Brown as I am not sure whether he can play two games in a week after the injuries he has suffered before.

View user profile

6 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 13:46

What I meant about Murphy having a chance "off the bench" was as in "coming off the bench for the last 15 or 20 minutes."

I wouldn't dream of starting him tonight.

On the whole I agree about the step up being a big one to expect lads to make straight out of our Youth Team - Sam Tye looked a bit lost against Evesham, which was a good illustration of that. On the other hand, if a player has "something about thim" then I don't think that gap is insurmountable.

I know 15 minutes against a tiring Bashley side wasn't enough to judge anybody on, but I thought Murphy showed more in that little spell than Tibbetts ever did (nothing against Tibbetts at all). He seemed to have good movement, a bit of pace, awareness, the ability to find space by standing still that all the best strikers have, and he didn't look out of place amongst bigger, older players.

It doesn't mean he's set for superstardom, just that he's worth giving a chance to see how he grows into Big Boys' Football.

View user profile

7 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 20:22

Team:
Coleman
Francis Bennett Richards Sansara
Washbourne Geddes Canavan Fitzpatrick
Knight Benbow

View user profile

8 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 20:23

Subs: Broadhurst Brown Berwick Billingham Birch

View user profile

9 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 20:23

0-1 13 minutes

View user profile

10 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 20:36

0-1 HT

View user profile

11 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 21:03

Brown and Billingham on
Knight and Washbourne off

View user profile

12 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 21:04

Attendance 542

View user profile

13 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 21:19

Berwick on
Fitzpatrick off

View user profile

14 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 21:19

0-2

View user profile

15 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 21:31

1-2 Billingham

View user profile

16 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 21:35

FT 1-2

View user profile

17 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 21:49

That was a p1ss poor match.

View user profile

18 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 22:22

Concentrate on the league as they say! the better team won and it could have been worse but for some of the missed chances in the second half, Quite a low key game it felt, despite the excellent gate. Their pace caused problems time and again, although the first goal was dreadful to concede after getting away with the initial mistake.

The second goal came just when we where having our best spell of the match, disapointing result but I would say had one eye on sataurday. I expect that to be a much more intense match.

View user profile

19 Re: West Brom - BSC on Tue Feb 18 2014, 23:10

The best team won on the night.

These games always seem to have a 'flat' feeling with a lack of atmosphere. Nevertheless a decent crowd considering there was a live game on TV.

I hope we can defend better on Saturday, otherwise we will leave ourselves a mountain to climb to get a positive result.

View user profile

20 Re: West Brom - BSC on Wed Feb 19 2014, 09:35

Agree that the better team won - I thought the Baggies kids looked decent and we never quite got to grips with them. Their passing and close control was better than ours but they did look as though they could be shaken if we put pressure on them and it was just a pity that we couldn't make more of the half chances we created. Obviously they could say the same!

Thought we looked light in the middle of the park again. I thought we should have played Ben and Leon from the start despite the big match coming up on Saturday.

Very, very good crowd under the circumstances.

View user profile

21 Re: West Brom - BSC on Wed Feb 19 2014, 12:43

Thought Albion deserved their win and it could have been a few more if they had taken their chances.

From a selection of point of view think we had Saturday on our mind since we left Ben and Leon on the bench who have been far and away our best players in recent matches.

We have thought it would have been better to easy Nathan back in with perhaps 20 minutes to go then play him the full game. We seemed to be easily opened up defensively with pace down the middle and for Saturday match i would stick with Leon in the back four.

Thought the substitution of George was surprising as he looked our best player before he was brought off. Would prefer him to play on the left though and move Fitz over so they are both playng on their natural side. Also suprised when Tom came on and we moved Luke out wide right. Not Like's best position and we don't need the sulks when things don't go right for him. If we are going to use Ben as a mian striker then play someone wide on the right.

Something which has been said before is the form of Sansara who played well in his first match but looks no where near that level at present. Whether this is how he has been told to play or not we need him to make more attacking runs.

Thought Andre in the end was our best player but i bet if all available on Saturday he is back on the bench.

View user profile

22 Re: West Brom - BSC on Wed Feb 19 2014, 17:05

MotM was Andre with 9 votes , Sean received 7 , Ben 3 , Nathan 3 , Luke & Will 1 each.

The wine was won by Kevin Broadhurst.

View user profile

23 Re: West Brom - BSC on Thu Feb 20 2014, 12:55

Highlights of the superbly created and taken West Brom second goal.

No wonder Nathan and Will were left for dead.

View user profile

24 Re: West Brom - BSC on Thu Feb 20 2014, 13:29

Same old story of midfielders not tracking runners if you ask me. One quick turn and short run and through ball and suddenly its 3 vs 1.

Life really is much easier if your hustling & getting behind the ball when you dont have the 'ball'. Far to many times our defence has been outnumbered by opposition midfielders 'running on' simply because not enough of our players track back.

Saying all that, its a catch 22 situation. If we leave players up field we score goals, and we wouldnt have got 80 odd goals that we have now I guess!  Shocked 

View user profile

25 Re: West Brom - BSC on Thu Feb 20 2014, 13:56

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum