Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 23:01

Fair point, but a sharp downpour of hail usually lasts no more than a couple of minutes. This was nigh on half an hour!

View user profile

52 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 23:14

Devil's Advocate wrote:it's b0ll0x to worry about soggy pitches.

If that really is the case, then why is it one of the most common reasons for games being P-P is a waterlogged pitch?

Devil's Advocate wrote:Smiler,you can get injured playing on a perfect pitch at any time of year.

I am totally aware of that fact, I was merely saying that it is easier to get injured on a pitch that is wet and slippery.

And as for the weather forecast Aled, are you talking about one on the TV, or a headline off the front of the "Daily Express" Wink 

53 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 23:26

TRM wrote:I guess we'll have to agree to differ on this one, DA! Have you seen the photo @TheBridgeSport tweeted around 3pm?

Aled - I'm not sure the weather was predicted to be QUITE that bad! I've never seen a hailstorm as intense or as prolonged as that in my life! For once the phrase "freak storm" would not have been an exaggeration!

I was at the ground at 3pm,i left about 3.10pm and it was clearing up by then,those puddles were by then nothing like the one's pictured.

By 3.26pm it was bright and sunny with a breeze ffs.

The ref was a typical ref,he couldn't wait to exercise his power,it was obvious and pathetic.

Smiler,i'd like to venture a guess that you've never played a competitive game of football,all i can tell you is that i would far rather play in today's condition's than i would on a bone hard pitch in August or on a freezing winter pitch.

I only ever got injured in supposed "good conditions",i always found the softer ground much more forgiving.

When i get round to arranging that fan's match at Amblecote i'll be aiming for spring rather than summer i can assure you.

I won't ask you or TRM to be ref though Smiler,you too softies will no doubt call it off due to too much UV light,no suncream or sunlight blinding the keeper at the Church End due to sunlight streaming through the "Glory hole" at the back of The Shed! :-)

View user profile

54 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 00:37

As I said, we'll have to agree to differ.

Although interestingly I see that the kick off at Burton in League Two was delayed by an hour today due to the weather.

View user profile

55 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 00:44

TRM wrote:As I said, we'll have to agree to differ.

Although interestingly I see that the kick off at Burton in League Two was delayed by an hour today due to the weather.

It's not a matter of disagreeing really Rich,what i don't understand is why the match couldn't at least have started at 3.30pm and that way the facts would be obvious.

It's not like we were playing Halesowen with little in the way of travel costs,it's another case of part timers travel 2 1/2 hours and waste £600+ along with their fan's who travelled.

Personally i get peed off with another of my favourite sports cricket,the "bad light" issue is still really badly handled with fan's getting a rough deal,today was no different in my opinion.

View user profile

56 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 05:10

Have read somewhere that both managers agreed with the ref's decision. Unless that it is wrong, not much else to say. Would rather we have to play them midweek than on a Saturday. And it gives us more time to settle the new signings into the squad. Why we would be unhappy with the postponement is beyond me?

View user profile

57 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 06:04

Think it's just the frustration of being there at the ground ready to get on with it, only for it to be called off so late. Plus the fact that it was bright blue sky half an hour later. Still think it was the right call - the water wasn't going to go anywhere! Despite DA's scoffing, I take Nigel's opinion on most things as pretty level-headed and if he says it was still unplayable at 4.30 that's good enough for me.

View user profile

58 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 06:33

I didn't see the pitch as it was called off before I got into the ground, I wasn't surprised to hear it was called off, but I too don't understand the reasons for not re-inspecting at 4 given the forecast was for dry weather as soon as the storm had passed. Surely it would have been fairer on both sides to have given it that chance, it'd not like It's Cinderford or Redditch's pitch.

As for the intensity of the storm, I guess that's why it's called a storm, I don't know why TRM and Smiler want to keep arguing about it to be honest.

Anyway, does anyone want to add an 'ic' to this Pedant?

View user profile

59 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 15:27

Clive tells me the pitch is still unplayable today.

View user profile

60 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 16:42

TRM wrote:Clive tells me the pitch is still unplayable today.

It would be,it rained last night and it's raining today so it's hardly rocket science.

Let's call off Tuesday nights match now shall we just in case.

Christ,we're getting like the Italian's,at the first hint of trouble they raise the white flag and surrender.

View user profile

61 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 17:34

As Devil says,I'd much rather play in conditions we had yesterday than on a bone hard pitch in August or February.....the puddles at three would soon have drained but heaven help today's type of player play in "muddy" conditions.
This game would NEVER have been called off in the 70's or 80's.

Regarding both managers being fine with the game being called off...
At 14.40 Clive stood on the stage in the club house and said that another inspection would be made at 15.00 hrs and stated " Biggleswade have made the long journey here and want the game to go ahead".....somewhat contradictory.

It should have been played.....only puffs and people who ay played the game before would say it shouldn't have been given a go.

View user profile

62 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 18:00

Tricky Tree wrote:As Devil says,I'd much rather play in conditions we had yesterday than on a bone hard pitch in August or February.....the puddles at three would soon have drained but heaven help today's type of player play in "muddy" conditions.
This game would NEVER have been called off in the 70's or 80's.

Regarding both managers being fine with the game being called off...
At 14.40 Clive stood on the stage in the club house and said that another inspection would be made at 15.00 hrs and stated " Biggleswade have made the long journey here and want the game to go ahead".....somewhat contradictory.

It should have been played.....only puffs and people who ay played the game before would say it shouldn't have been given a go.

Quite right Tricky.

Like i said before Nigel and Smiler have quite obviously never played a competitive game of football in their lives,announcing the raffle numbers and standing on the terrace gives no inkling as to what it's actually like to be playing on a heavy winter's day.

View user profile

63 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 18:44

Think it was possibly the right thing to do on two counts,lightning and the number of games left I can't imagine the Stourbridge management wanting the pitch trashed.As always DA I find your comparison with the kiddie league and this level out of sync.football is very different now from when u played.

View user profile

64 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 18:45

Think it was possibly the right thing to do on two counts,lightning and the number of games left I can't imagine the Stourbridge management wanting the pitch trashed.As always DA I find your comparison with the kiddie league and this level out of sync.football is very different now from when u played.

View user profile

65 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 18:51

rasam wrote:Think it was possibly the right thing to do on two counts,lightning and the number of games left I can't imagine the Stourbridge management wanting the pitch trashed.As always DA I find your comparison with the kiddie league and this level out of sync.football is very different now from when u played.

Rasam you really are a cock.....obviously someone who's never played before.
Yes it's different but doesn't mean it's better....way too many people who want it called off for...."oh no,adverse weather conditions,call health and safety"
Fu****g man up for God sake.

View user profile

66 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 19:07

That's the real problem on this forum people resort to expletives as they think they have a devine right to all the answers and no one new on this forum is allowed an opinion.pretty much sums up what I have seen and read so far there ain't much knowledge as far as football goes.never mind looking forward to Tuesday hope there isn't a tsunami warning as I can't swim

View user profile

67 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 19:12

It's not a devine right to all the answers at all,it's saying it as it is!!
Too many gimps being way too over sensitive and it drives me yampy.
I don't put anything on here that I wouldn't say to people's faces and I reckon pretty much everyone on this forum knows who I am.
So Rasam if you want to talk face to face just expose yourself rather than hiding behind a user name!!!!!!

View user profile

68 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 19:13

Tricky Tree wrote:

No need for personal abuse on this forum.

View user profile http://www.nibadges.com

69 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 19:15

Ulster you can p**s off you wind up merchant.

View user profile

70 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 19:21

Tricky Tree wrote:Ulster you can p**s off you wind up merchant.

I'm not on the wind up. I'm sure most people would consider that remark as personal abuse. Forums should be about healthy debate and banter.

I don't know Rasam from Adam, he has put forward his opinion, which differs from yours and Devils. Argue your point of view by all means, but you shouldn't need to resort to keyboard abuse when someone questions your point of view.

View user profile http://www.nibadges.com

71 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 19:22

rasam wrote:That's the real problem on this forum people resort to expletives as they think they have a devine right to all the answers and no one new on this forum is allowed an opinion.pretty much sums up what I have  seen and read so far there ain't much knowledge as far as football goes.never mind looking forward to Tuesday hope there isn't a tsunami warning as I can't swim

I reckon I have more holidays than you!

Na na na na nah!  Laughing 

View user profile

72 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 19:31

UlsterJim wrote:
Tricky Tree wrote:

No need for personal abuse on this forum.

Jim,i like to think you're a good mate by now but the words "pot,kettle,black" immediately spring to mind having read this.

You use the worst language and insinuate things i've never heard before from the terraces of a non league ground :-)

I hope Rasam doesn't support Celtic!

View user profile

73 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 19:34

UlsterJim wrote:
Tricky Tree wrote:Ulster you can p**s off you wind up merchant.

I'm not on the wind up.  I'm sure most people would consider that remark as personal abuse.  Forums should be about healthy debate and banter.

I don't know Rasam from Adam, he has put forward his opinion, which differs from yours and Devils.  Argue your point of view by all means, but you shouldn't need to resort to keyboard abuse when someone questions your point of view.

Personal abuse isn't only when someone uses expletives Jim...I've noted Rasam give personal abuse regarding his views and Sunday league experiences.
Personal abuse is personal abuse even if expletives aren't used.

What's good for the goose......

View user profile

74 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 19:35

rasam wrote:Think it was possibly the right thing to do on two counts,lightning and the number of games left I can't imagine the Stourbridge management wanting the pitch trashed.As always DA I find your comparison with the kiddie league and this level out of sync.football is very different now from when u played.

You know nothing about local Sunday football then Rasm and probably never played it.

I played in the same Sunday team as Stour's very own Rob Taylor who was Mark Bellingham's strike partner so yeah…….obviously mo comparison whatever.

The majority of lads that were playing Sundays were turning out for Stour,Lye,Dudley Town and Gornal and the likes and Andy P and Gary Hackett were running Grange in the Kiddie Sunday.

As you say….absolutely NO comparison.

Oh,and we used many of the same refs who were officiating on Saturdays.

View user profile

75 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sun Jan 26 2014, 19:39

My last post should have read that Rasam has given Devil personal abuse.

Two home games before yesterday all three officials were from Worcester and every one of them had been a ref in the Worcester Sunday league...again,no comparison.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum