Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys


You are not connected. Please login or register

Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 15:43

Forza wrote:What's happened? Was it abandoned or a really late postponement?


Hailstorm,thunder,lightening for 20/30 minutes.

Some water on pitch and ref couldn't wait to call it off.

Bright,clear and dry by 3.30pm….cheers ref.

View user profile

27 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 15:53

Jack

avatar
Admin
Think some water on the pitch is an understatement.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

28 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 15:54

That's a pain, I was looking forward to that!

The hail was pretty heavy for a good 10-15 minute spell either side of the rain and there was a fair few areas of standing water on the pitch so I can understand it to a certain degree. However, the ball seemed to be running quite well when they were kicking it about and as you say the sun came out not long after the call off.

Guess I'll have to wait until Tuesday to get my footy fix!

View user profile

29 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 16:04

I got to the ground at about ten to 3 from my lad's swimming lesson in Kingswinford. Usually takes me about 15 minutes but it was more like 25 today in the hail. Fortunately the lesson was cut short after somebody was sick in the pool because it started to bucket down as we were halfway back from the pool to the car!

Left the ground by five past 3, so didn't see the "before" or the "after", only the "during"!

When the players were out knocking the ball around I was surprised how well it was rolling for the most part but I've seen a photo tweeted by the Bridge that showed the part near the main stand looking terrible.

I thought the ref might give it half an hour like DA said but I'm not sure how much difference that would have made.

It's done now, so no point getting het up about it.

View user profile

30 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 16:10

Gutted, had to fit a new waste disposal unit at home to guarantee my 'pass' out today, drove through biblical storms from my lofty Sedgley perch only to get the match off text as I was about to pull on to magnet car park. Can't say as it came as a total surprise. Now I've had to pop into Tesco, this Saturday is shite.

View user profile

31 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 16:14

I blame Tom Berwick...

View user profile

32 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 16:15

Well that was fun, I was running late having gone backside over head on some mud and had to go home to change clothes, being late meant I was caught right in the eye of that storm, so another change of clothes now necessary!

There was a hell of a lot of water out there, the ball was rolling but don't think waiting till 3.30 would have made much difference, although given the traveling can't see why it couldn't have been played at 4.00 or 5.00 if it had dried out sufficiently, rather than come back on a Tuesday night, the rule book would never allow that though i'm sure!

Do we have to foot the bill for their travel next time? at least that's what was said in the clubhouse.  Assume Benbow's ban is extended another match, although at least that's the Worcester senior cup.

View user profile

33 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 16:16

I blame Jim Driscoll and his f@&(:ng shoe people, and you know what he can do with those don't ya!!

View user profile

34 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 16:18

TRM wrote:I got to the ground at about ten to 3 from my lad's swimming lesson in Kingswinford. Usually takes me about 15 minutes but it was more like 25 today in the hail. Fortunately the lesson was cut short after somebody was sick in the pool because it started to bucket down as we were halfway back from the pool to the car!

Left the ground by five past 3, so didn't see the "before" or the "after", only the "during"!

When the players were out knocking the ball around I was surprised how well it was rolling for the most part but I've seen a photo tweeted by the Bridge that showed the part near the main stand looking terrible.

I thought the ref might give it half an hour like DA said but I'm not sure how much difference that would have made.

It's done now, so no point getting het up about it.


Absolutely no appreciation from the ref of the wasted time,money and effort caused to part time teams.

The fan's were already in,he could have made it a 3.30pm kick off and at least given the game a chance,it's been dry for 45 minutes now.

Why not give yourself as much time as you possibly can,why call off early for no benefit other than to yourself to get home early.

Ridiculous.

View user profile

35 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 16:30

Any MotM tickets will automatically carried over to the next home game (hopefully Tues) , if you cannot make that game I'll hold your money to the next time I see you.
If you have mislaid your slip come and ask for another.

View user profile

36 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 16:34

oldhillglassboy wrote:Do we have to foot the bill for their travel next time? at least that's what was said in the clubhouse.  Assume Benbow's ban is extended another match, although at least that's the Worcester senior cup.

Not sure about travel costs. The postponement was neither side's fault, not that that's necessarily relevant where the rulebook is concerned.

Benbow's ban is still three games starting today (and today's game obviously isn't one of those three!), BUT I have a funny feeling from memory that the Worcs Senior Cup doesn't count as a "Senior" competition. Therefore, if I'm right, his ban will be for the Truro, Weymouth and Bashey games. BUT, he will also not be allowed to play against Evesham as it falls within the period of his ban, even though it doesn't count towards the ban.

Please don't take this as gospel until it's confirmed.

View user profile

37 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 16:34

Just heard Halesowen's match was called off at Market Drayton half hour before kick off. Presumably the team and all their fans would have been there by then.....,bahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

View user profile

38 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 16:37

Brian Handy wrote:Any MotM tickets will automatically carried over to the next home game (hopefully Tues) , if you cannot make that game I'll hold your money to the next time I see you.
If you have mislaid your slip come and ask for another.

Surprised you didn't give it to the numb nuts of a ref Brian!

View user profile

39 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 17:06

Devil's Advocate wrote:
TRM wrote:I got to the ground at about ten to 3 from my lad's swimming lesson in Kingswinford. Usually takes me about 15 minutes but it was more like 25 today in the hail. Fortunately the lesson was cut short after somebody was sick in the pool because it started to bucket down as we were halfway back from the pool to the car!

Left the ground by five past 3, so didn't see the "before" or the "after", only the "during"!

When the players were out knocking the ball around I was surprised how well it was rolling for the most part but I've seen a photo tweeted by the Bridge that showed the part near the main stand looking terrible.

I thought the ref might give it half an hour like DA said but I'm not sure how much difference that would have made.

It's done now, so no point getting het up about it.


Absolutely no appreciation from the ref of the wasted time,money and effort caused to part time teams.

The fan's were already in,he could have made it a 3.30pm kick off and at least given the game a chance,it's been dry for 45 minutes now.

Why not give yourself as much time as you possibly can,why call off early for no benefit other than to yourself to get home early.

Ridiculous.

Also worth considering the damage that could have been done to the pitch had the game gone ahead. There is plenty of football still to be played at Amblecote this season, although, on the other side of the argument, that isn't necessarily something the referee needs to be considering when making his decision.

View user profile

40 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 17:14

Great defeat for Bideford at Banbury today.

Terrible 5-0 win for St.Albans though to damage Arlesey's hope's and Weymouth lost as well.

It's 5 from 7 i think now.

View user profile

41 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 17:56

oldhillglassboy wrote:
Do we have to foot the bill for their travel next time? at least that's what was said in the clubhouse.  Assume Benbow's ban is extended another match, although at least that's the Worcester senior cup.

I hope that's the case as it'd be better for him to miss that one rather than a proper game.  Wink 

With regards to today's game, does anyone know how much leeway the ref has in pushing kick-off back? There seemed to be no complaints from either side after the postponement.

The pitch was definitely unplayable at 3pm - when Cliffy was kicking a ball about it was certainly sticking in a puddle in the Church End goalmouth and there was a strip in front of the main stand which looked like TRM's son could have had another swimming lesson in - and it was still raining at that point, so could have got worse. The fact that it didn't and probably was playable by 3:30 is just one of those things I suppose.

View user profile

42 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 18:02

Aled wrote:Just heard Halesowen's match was called off at Market Drayton half hour before kick off. Presumably the team and all their fans would have been there by then.....,bahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Speaking to a cricketing friend of mine who follows Halesowen, he said the hail storm started as soon as they pulled up and they where unable to leave the coach for 20 minutes, when they did it was obvious they would be getting back on it pretty quickly!

View user profile

43 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 18:40

Nigel tells me the pitch was definitely still unplayable at 4.30.

View user profile

44 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 19:07

TRM wrote:Nigel tells me the pitch was definitely still unplayable at 4.30.

Oh if Nigel say's it then it must be right :-(


With regards to M6 Dave's question,Gary Hackett told me personally that the game could kick off as late as 3.30pm but no later.

It was no skin off anyone's nose to at least try,only the pompous prats love to show their power by calling stuff off early.

View user profile

45 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 20:14

Devil's Advocate wrote:
TRM wrote:Nigel tells me the pitch was definitely still unplayable at 4.30.

Oh if Nigel say's it then it must be right :-(


With regards to M6 Dave's question,Gary Hackett told me personally that the game could kick off as late as 3.30pm but no later.

It was no skin off anyone's nose to at least try,only the pompous prats love to show their power by calling stuff off early.

I don't know if Southern League rules are different from the rules for FA competitions, or whether they differentiate between weather-related delays and other reasons, but when we were delayed by a "jumper" on the M60 going up to Droylsden for that Trophy tie the game eventually kicked off at 3.45.

When the coach was held up by roadworks on the M1 going to Bedford for a night match four years ago, we kicked off at 8.05. That's the latest I can remember a League game kicking off.

EDIT - Wouldn't it be great if the SL rulebook was available on its website?! The Conference makes its rulebook available in that way (or it certainly did last season). Then we could all find out for sure what the rules are.

View user profile

46 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 21:58

Guest


Guest
If the ref HAD delayed the kick-off, and tried to start the game 30-45 mins later.  Then one of our players went and got injured, I'm quite sure that people would be complaining that the game should never have started as it was too dangerous.

Weather is something you cannot predict.  And in situations like today's it doesn't matter what the ref's decision was, as either way someone would be upset.

And people on here have tried to blame different people including Jim Driscoll, but as it was P-P due to the weather shouldn't we all be blaming "global warming"

The final thing to remember is that we are still in the middle of winter, and it doesn't matter how mild it is the pitch WILL NOT!!! dry out as quickly as it would during the summer Rolling Eyes

47 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 22:07

You can predict the weather funnily enough Smiler, the storm was predicted and arrived bang on schedule. As for Jim Driscoll, amazingly I don't really blame him for the weather, it's called humour, jasus wept!

View user profile

48 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 22:13

sirsmilerIII wrote:If the ref HAD delayed the kick-off, and tried to start the game 30-45 mins later.  Then one of our players went and got injured, I'm quite sure that people would be complaining that the game should never have started as it was too dangerous.

Weather is something you cannot predict.  And in situations like today's it doesn't matter what the ref's decision was, as either way someone would be upset.

And people on here have tried to blame different people including Jim Driscoll, but as it was P-P due to the weather shouldn't we all be blaming "global warming"

The final thing to remember is that we are still in the middle of winter, and it doesn't matter how mild it is the pitch WILL NOT!!! dry out as quickly as it would during the summer Rolling Eyes


Smiler,you can get injured playing on a perfect pitch at any time of year,it's b0ll0x to worry about soggy pitches.

I played one of my favourite matches ever in the Kiddie League out at Clows Top in worse weather than we saw today,the pitch was like a paddy field at the end but the match was tremendous,we won 7-3 away from home and had to wash in the corrugated tin barrels outside what passed as the changing rooms due to lack of a working shower.

We got dressed in the dark due to no electricity and then our centre forward found that he'd left his clothes under a hole in the roof and they were all soaked so he had to put his muddy kit back on again lol.

That match could have kicked off today at 3.30pm and if it had proved to be hopeless then called off after 10-15 minutes.

NOT to even try to kick off was a crime.

View user profile

49 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 22:32

I guess we'll have to agree to differ on this one, DA! Have you seen the photo @TheBridgeSport tweeted around 3pm?

Aled - I'm not sure the weather was predicted to be QUITE that bad! I've never seen a hailstorm as intense or as prolonged as that in my life! For once the phrase "freak storm" would not have been an exaggeration!

View user profile

50 Re: Biggleswade Town at home on Saturday. on Sat Jan 25 2014, 22:49

Can't believe i'm arguing about the intensity of a storm, but the forecast was for sharp downpours of rain and hail accompanied by very strong winds in the afternoon, quickly clearing to leave a brighter afternoon. Sounds pretty cock on to me mate.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum