Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bideford Saturday

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

76 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 10:01

Had more than my fair share of spats with Stourboy, and I don't think we've ever agreed on any of em, I'll say this though, the guy speaks his mind.

View user profile

77 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 10:53

Aled wrote:Had more than my fair share of spats with Stourboy, and I don't think we've ever agreed on any of em, I'll say this though, the guy speaks his mind.

I have no problem with that,i'm as opinionated as anyone possibly could be Aled but it's way out of line to accuse me of booing my own player whilst he's being substituted.

Next time SB decides to make a comment about me i suggest he get's his fact's right rather than guessing/making it up because not only did it piss me off but it also makes him look a know all oaf in front of those who know who was actually the culprit.

View user profile

78 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 11:06

Don't know why anybody would boo any of our players as they are being subbed. Surely we all want the same thing a win.

Yes we all opinions who should be brought off that's just natural.

Look at the game yesterday we take Jamie and play Sam at the back even though we had Andre on the bench. What kind of decision is that. My opinion only.

Some will disagree we this but for me yesterday we needed someone to go and beat a player and create a chance. So for me Sam should have been first on.

View user profile

79 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 11:23

Wasn't aware of anyone doing so yesterday. I am always wanting the win; as I mentioned before I was more surprised with who came off to be honest - the players he brought on were fine. Andre's tweet post-match might have been entirely non-football related but I can't imagine he was happy at being left out completely.

View user profile

80 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 13:58

Another point which has been mentioned on previous match discussions is that we appeared to have no leader on the pitch at any point of the game.

Would also say the management don't encourage our players like others do.

View user profile

81 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 16:07

stour_boy wrote:Fair enough, I was mistaken. Although I definitely do not hide behind anonymity - pretty sure everyone knows who I am. Don't think I ever 'hide' at matches either!

Bostin heart felt apology that one stour boy.

View user profile

82 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 16:51

Aled wrote:There are also a couple of capital letter abuses. Standards are slipping on this forum. I think it's high time we had a 'sticky' reminding everyone of the importance of grammar, spelling and punctuation.

Incidentally, the word 'abuses ' can very easily become anuses on my phone. That could prove problematic!

Someone also used "treble" when they meant "triple" but that's par for the course these days.  Wink 

View user profile

83 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 16:58

stour_boy wrote: Albeit Oliver might have been in a bit of a hot headed state having been absolutely adamant that the ball had run out of play in the run up to their third goal, and picking up a caution for his protests.

He had a right to be annoyed as the ball was well over the line before it was crossed over for the third goal. Has to be said the stand-in linesman didn't exactly cover himself with glory, which is probably why the injured match ref came over and stood near him for the last 15 minutes or so.

(I was told by one of our fans behind the goal that he was his brother-in-law and had never run a line in his life before!)

View user profile

84 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 17:00

Dave the Glassboy wrote:
Aled wrote:There are also a couple of capital letter abuses. Standards are slipping on this forum. I think it's high time we had a 'sticky' reminding everyone of the importance of grammar, spelling and punctuation.

Incidentally, the word 'abuses ' can very easily become anuses on my phone. That could prove problematic!

Someone also used "treble" when they meant "triple" but that's par for the course these days.  Wink 

I didn't mean triple at all David....
Being a half decent darts player I most definitely meant treble...as in treble twenty,treble 19 double 12.
Crowd goes wild.

View user profile

85 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 17:01

Aled you need to set them all straight on the West Midlands Non-League Facebook page, it's become a bit of a Halesowen page to be honest.

And on a separate note, it was super to see Simon there yesterday, and a well deserved chant from the Shed End too!

View user profile

86 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 17:02

Dave the Glassboy wrote:
stour_boy wrote: Albeit Oliver might have been in a bit of a hot headed state having been absolutely adamant that the ball had run out of play in the run up to their third goal, and picking up a caution for his protests.

He had a right to be annoyed as the ball was well over the line before it was crossed over for the third goal. Has to be said the stand-in linesman didn't exactly cover himself with glory, which is probably why the injured match ref came over and stood near him for the last 15 minutes or so.

(I was told by one of our fans behind the goal that he was his brother-in-law and had never run a line in his life before!)

Does it matter if he hadnt run the line before? Its hardly rocket science is it. No more difficult than putting players in their right positions in my eyes.

View user profile

87 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 18:39

The Facebook page is awash with 15 year old Yeltz fans mate, and sadly the humour element is largely one way. Get yourself on there and give me a hand lol

View user profile

88 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 20:01

24 hours on, and I can't help thinking that Gary is facing the biggest challenge of his managerial career here. Bigger than getting us out of the Alliance, bigger than getting us out of the South & West Division, bigger than keeping us in this Division, and bigger than turning us into play-off and even Title contenders in the last couple of seasons.

All of those were a case of building on foundations already in place and maintaining forward momentum (much of it created by Gary himself, it must be said), none of which should be underestimated. However, this entails turning round a ship that is, for my money, heading in the wrong direction, and alarmingly so.

View user profile

89 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 20:20

TRM wrote:24 hours on, and I can't help thinking that Gary is facing the biggest challenge of his managerial career here. Bigger than getting us out of the Alliance, bigger than getting us out of the South & West Division, bigger than keeping us in this Division, and bigger than turning us into play-off and even Title contenders in the last couple of seasons.

All of those were a case of building on foundations already in place and maintaining forward momentum (much of it created by Gary himself, it must be said), none of which should be underestimated. However, this entails turning round a ship that is, for my money, heading in the wrong direction, and alarmingly so.

A ship that is sinking faster than the titanic.

View user profile

90 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 21:07

TRM wrote:24 hours on, and I can't help thinking that Gary is facing the biggest challenge of his managerial career here. Bigger than getting us out of the Alliance, bigger than getting us out of the South & West Division, bigger than keeping us in this Division, and bigger than turning us into play-off and even Title contenders in the last couple of seasons.

I completely agree Rich and especially with the bit about how unfair a scenario that is.

There is a comment on this thread which i think is totally outrageous from yesterday from someone calling for Gary "to go",i personally found that insensitive and completely ungrateful.

My brother is a personal friend of Gary's but i am not,i've met him once for ten minutes and i liked the guy immensely,i can't think of a better character to be manager of a community club like Stour.

The last 10 years should not be simply brushed aside in people's thought's,i think we're in danger of stamping our feet like naughty children because we're not getting the promotion we think we deserve.

In the first few years of Gary's tenure the club didn't have a pot to piss in,a hardy bunch of good hearted people stopped our club from going to the wall after a series of dubious owner's etc,Gary picked up the debris of that and got us to where we are now,i won't EVER forget that and shame on anyone who now call's for his head.

If i hear chant's of that nature going on or "cat calling" at him and Fordy then i'll head for the exit and won't bother putting any sponsorship into the club again,i'm not going to stand around while the management duo and the chairman get stick.

Don't get me wrong,Gary is making error's,i think he'll be reflecting heavily on his own performance at the moment.

Heres my take on his present situation.

1/ His biggest mistake in my view is his total loyalty to the majority of the players who have been with him over the last 5/6 season's,some are deserving of that ongoing support other's ( by general fan consensus are not ) yet dear old Wurzel is the one who has been sent to Coventry ( Stourport actually but you get my drift ) yet him and his Dad had become fabric of the club,i think this has been a big error.

2/ Coaching concerns me,we seem to lack an on pitch identity since Rowey was sold and our 4-5-1 started to fail,over the last 20 games i've seen us become a complete mess formation wise during games,especially away and we don't seem to have a coherent plan such as the one Bideford had yesterday.

3/ Additionally on the coaching aspect i find it strange that Gary and John are so passive on the touchline during games,they don't seem to get involved in the on pitch organisation once the game is in motion and it seems Clifton is left to do that sort of thing and it clearly isn't working.

4/ Training.From what i hear most of it is done on that small patch of grass next to the clubhouse,basically a weekly five a side…….sorry guys,simply not good enough at this level,we did that for Kiddie Sunday League,Stour have to be better than that.
Maybe theres some training i don't know about,sorry if thats the case but if there isn't then there should be,if it was my team the full pitch would be used and they would be drilled in all aspects,we are now at a level where other clubs are taking the training to much more professional levels.

5/ Stubborness! A trait many managers have,the bloodymindedness not to give in the supporter's demand's for certain changes.

4-5-1 persevered with long after Rowey departed even though it wasn't working,the eventual arrival of Mackey and the 4-4-2 and an eleven match winning streak but two months too late,we'd have won the league if we'd signed him a few weeks earlier.

The reluctance to bring in the physical presence we clearly require in midfield and upfront,we have to start matching the better sides who all seem to possess this.

Possible solutions.

A fresh face in the coaching department.

A new approach to training nights.

A proper weights room at the club for players to use any night of the week they can or in the day if they can fit it in-between work commitments,this would be a good use of some of the cup money and a solid investment.

A "root and branch" appraisal of the playing squad,time to admit to oneself that one or two need to be thanked for their service and moved on.

Three of four proven,quality faces to be added immediately.

Every team has it's off day's,look at Hemel losing to Frome on Saturday,scarcely believable in truth.

Our bad day's are just happening too regularly and it's the same people making the same error's time after time so in effect they're not learning and not being coached out of them errors.

I would urge Gary to be honest with himself and to grab the bull by the horns and make some tough decisions on individuals and on the way things are being done.

Although the cup run was terrific it did paper over the cracks,we got a great draw all the way through and played teams that suited our lightweight ability,i'd ask him to dispel the cup thought's and to concentrate on the very many poor performances we've put in,these started in pre season,we were awful in most of those games.

I honestly believe that "Sir Gary" and "Lord Poutney" are the best manager/chairman a club of our size could hope for and i hope they are still here 10 years from now but like anyone in life,they have to keep pushing forward on all fronts.

For those sad enough to call for the manager's head on a plate!

Be careful what you wish for,i've been a follower for 40 years,i've seen good times and bad times and i've seen some bloody awful managers down here and "owner's" who make Vincent Tan look like a really solid bloke.

We don't want to become the new "Halesowen" folks so think on.

Chin up Gary and Andy,i'm sure you'll turn this around and i for one am 100% behind you as i think 99% of fan's still are.

View user profile

91 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 21:13

Devil's Advocate wrote:

I completely agree Rich and especially with the bit about how unfair a scenario that is.

There is a comment on this thread which i think is totally outrageous from yesterday from someone calling for Gary "to go",i personally found that insensitive and completely ungrateful.

My brother is a personal friend of Gary's but i am not,i've met him once for ten minutes and i liked the guy immensely,i can't think of a better character to be manager of a community club like Stour.

The last 10 years should not be simply brushed aside in people's thought's,i think we're in danger of stamping our feet like naughty children because we're not getting the promotion we think we deserve.

In the first few years of Gary's tenure the club didn't have a pot to piss in,a hardy bunch of good hearted people stopped our club from going to the wall after a series of dubious owner's etc,Gary picked up the debris of that and got us to where we are now,i won't EVER forget that and shame on anyone who now call's for his head.

If i hear chant's of that nature going on or "cat calling" at him and Fordy then i'll head for the exit and won't bother putting any sponsorship into the club again,i'm not going to stand around while the management duo and the chairman get stick.

Don't get me wrong,Gary is making error's,i think he'll be reflecting heavily on his own performance at the moment.

1/ His biggest mistake in my view is his total loyalty to the majority of the players who have been with him over the last 5/6 season's,some are deserving of that ongoing support other's ( by general fan consensus are not ) yet dear old Wurzel is the one who has been sent to Coventry ( Stourport actually but you get my drift ) yet him and his Dad had become fabric of the club,i think this has been a big error.

2/ Coaching concerns me,we seem to lack an on pitch identity since Rowey was sold and our 4-5-1 started to fail,over the last 20 games i've seen us become a complete mess formation wise during games,especially away and we don't seem to have a coherent plan such as the one Bideford had yesterday.

3/ Additionally on the coaching aspect i find it strange that Gary and John are so passive on the touchline during games,they don't seem to get involved in the on pitch organisation once the game is in motion and it seems Clifton is left to do that sort of thing and it clearly isn't working.

4/ Training.From what i hear most of it is done on that small patch of grass next to the clubhouse,basically a weekly five a side…….sorry guys,simply not good enough at this level,we did that for Kiddie Sunday League,Stour have to be better than that.
Maybe theres some training i don't know about,sorry if thats the case but if there isn't then there should be,if it was my team the full pitch would be used and they would be drilled in all aspects,we are now at a level where other clubs are taking the training to much more professional levels.

5/ Stubborness! A trait many managers have,the bloodymindedness not to give in the supporter's demand's for certain changes.

4-5-1 persevered with long after Rowey departed even though it wasn't working,the eventual arrival of Mackey and the 4-4-2 and an eleven match winning streak but two months too late,we'd have won the league if we'd signed him a few weeks earlier.

The reluctance to bring in the physical presence we clearly require in midfield and upfront,we have to start matching the better sides who all seem to possess this.

Possible solutions.

A proper weights room at the club for players to use any night of the week they can or in the day if they can fit it in-between work commitments,this would be a good use of some of the cup money and a solid investment.

A "root and branch" appraisal of the playing squad,time to admit to oneself that one or two need to be thanked for their service and moved on.

Every team has it's off day's,look at Hemel losing to Frome on Saturday,scarcely believable in truth.

Our bad day's are just happening too regularly and it's the same people making the same error's time after time so in effect they're not learning and not being coached out of them errors.

I would urge Gary to be honest with himself and to grab the bull by the horns and make some tough decisions on individuals and on the way things are being done.

Although the cup run was terrific it did paper over the cracks,we got a great draw all the way through and played teams that suited our lightweight ability,i'd ask him to dispel the cup thought's and to concentrate on the very many poor performances we've put in,these started in pre season,we were awful in most of those games.

I honestly believe that "Sir Gary" and "Lord Poutney" are the best manager/chairman a club of our size could hope for and i hope they are still here 10 years from now but like anyone in life,they have to keep pushing forward on all fronts.

Be careful what you wish for,i've been a follower for 40 years,i've seen good times and bad times and i've seen some bloody awful managers down here and "owner's" who make Vincent Tan look like a really solid bloke.

Chin up Gary and Andy,i'm sure you'll turn this around and i for one am 100% behind you as i think 99% of fan's still are.

Come on then folks....who's got the balls to disagree with any of this post because I certainly haven't.....spot on devil you old toss bag.

View user profile

92 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 21:54

Devil's Advocate wrote:

Possible solutions.

What a fantastic post.

Ive lost count how many times I have popped on here today to write my thoughts. But with so many questions I simply didnt know where to start!

As fans we all think we know better. Gary & John have played at a high level and have done wonderfully well over many years. But for me im struggling to find the answers to an awful lot of questions.

Just some of these questions are...

Why dont some players seem to get a good 'crack of the whip'? This season, players like Drake, Agbor & Francis have had limited opportunities. Two of these players are no longer here and for me are a great miss. When they have been given minutes on the pitch its been in the wrong positions. Francis has hardly figured this season, then suddenly started at League One Stevenage. In my eyes he played well having been thrown in, but has hardly figured since! Agbor's last few games were at Biggleswade & Burnham, on each occasion he was played on the left wing when he is right footed. The poor lad nearly broke his neck on numerous occasions trying to cross a ball with the outside of his right foot. Drake being packed off to Stourport I just dont get, neither do I get the reasons why it simply doesnt make sense.

Formations are wrong, players playing out of position. On Saturday we once again had Brown on the left wing. For me this isnt working, yet we have Drake in Stourport & Rock on the bench who could both do a job there.

When we are chasing a game (like Saturday) we continue to throw Benbow on the wing. It simply doesnt work.
I know the managerial staff have their reasons, but if you try something a few times and it doesnt work why do they persist?

We are having far to many off days with far to many players having 'no shows'. But it doesnt matter as these players know they will be in the side the next game. Players who could make a difference continue to be ignored.

The squad look thin, and far to many times (especially away in midweek) we struggle to fill our bench.

The coaching is a big issue for me now, players simply dont seem to know what theyre supposed to be doing. If the formation changes they simply look lost. Its almost like they havent been through it before on the 'white board'.

For me there is much wrong, and Im not confident it can be turned round.

Having said all the above, I will never ever boo players I simply dont agree with it. No matter what my thoughts I will always give my up most support.

I so really want the staff and players to get it right.

COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN THE GLASSBOYS.

RED ARMY RED ARMY.

View user profile

93 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 22:05

Tricky Tree wrote:
Dave the Glassboy wrote:

Being a half decent darts player I most definitely meant treble...as in treble twenty,treble 19 double 12.
Crowd goes wild.

Which rather proves my point, because in that circumstance strictly speaking it should be triple 20, etc., since "triple" means to multiply by 3 in the same way that double means to multiply by 2.

"Treble" is a musical term.

Sorry, off topic but a bit of a bugbear of mine. Bit like using "of" instead of "have".

View user profile

94 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 22:10

Dave the Glassboy wrote:
Tricky Tree wrote:
Dave the Glassboy wrote:

Crowd goes wild.

Which rather proves my point, because in that circumstance strictly speaking it should be triple 20, etc., since "triple" means to multiply by 3 in the same way that double means to multiply by 2.

Sorry, off topic but a bit of a bugbear of mine. Bit like using "of" instead of "have".

Why is it always people who wear their trouser waistband level with their nipples who worry about this sort of thing?

View user profile

95 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 22:14

Devil's Advocate wrote:
Dave the Glassboy wrote:
Tricky Tree wrote:
Dave the Glassboy wrote:

Crowd goes wild.

Why is it always people who wear their trouser waistband level with their nipples who worry about this sort of thing?

If I ever meet anyone like that I'll make sure I ask them.

View user profile

96 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 22:16

Dave the Glassboy wrote:
Tricky Tree wrote:
Dave the Glassboy wrote:

Crowd goes wild.

I hope you write in every time there is darts on the tele to complain about this error David.....along with the numerous adverts that use it when relaying their phone number.....oh the vast amount of idiots in the world.

View user profile

97 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 22:26

I don't watch darts or adverts so that's not actually an issue!

Laughing 

View user profile

98 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 22:46

Let's get back to the topic, shall we...?

DA has articulated very well most of what I would like to have said myself had I had more time when I posted. I believe that in Andy and Gary we have the best two men at the helm for this club. Every manager goes through rough times if he spends ten years in the job - we have been spoiled, and it is a mark of the job Gary has done, that the bad times have been so incredibly rare. That should, at any decent club with decent fans, be good enough to buy him plenty of "credit" at times like these. Equally, it should never put him above question or criticism.

The "be careful what you wish for" point is something that certain posters should think long and hard about.

View user profile

99 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 23:29

Spot on DA. You've come a long way since merely being known as 'shouty man' : )

View user profile

100 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sun Jan 19 2014, 23:39

Aled wrote:Spot on DA. You've come a long way since merely being known as 'shouty man' : )

I'll give you that "free hit" Aled.

I'm a passionate supporter of my sporting teams,i save my vitriol in the main for incompetent refs and opposition bench and players ( when required )

People need to remember that we are a "small family" at Stourbridge,pro clubs with big wealth have big shoulder's and deserve to suffer their fan's wrath.

If anyone wants to start calling for Gary's head or for Andy's head then they are muppets.

A/ They aren't doing the job for the money

B/ The time they give up to it is a massive sacrifice

C/ Two nicer,fair and more honest blokes would be very hard to find

D/ I wouldn't want to be chairman……would any of you?

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum