Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bideford Saturday

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 17:58

Aaron hadn't exactly been playing extremely well though, and had been on the receiving end of some stick from some of the fans at previous matches and after that he was loaned out.

View user profile

27 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 18:13

Take your point about Wurzel, SB, and it's maybe the one thing I might take slight issue with in DA's analysis. I don't see Wurzel as the answer to all our ills.

However, I am struggling to see why a player of his ability and who can bring something that is lacking currently should be shoved out of the door when we are seeing what we saw today.

View user profile

28 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 18:20

stour_boy wrote:Aaron hadn't exactly been playing extremely well though, and had been on the receiving end of some stick from some of the fans at previous matches and after that he was loaned out.

He was playing out of position SB ffs!

What are we doing with the likes of Brown,Benbow,Canavan and Fitz playing wide when Wurzel has proved over a few seasons that he's a terrific wide man AND he works his nut's off for the cause.

And while i'm at it,how come Canavan got on the pitch ahead of Rocky today.

Answers on a postcard please?

View user profile

29 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 18:28

Awesome display. Thought we were unluckily. Rocky looked out of sorts at left back but thankfully it worked much better when he switched to his favoured right back position. Don't know what folks are moaning about. We was ace.

View user profile

30 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 18:33

Another worrying aspect for me - I genuinely believe that the players were giving their all today, and yet we were still a good 10% or more off Bideford in terms of energy and "spark." I thought the three in central midfield might enable us to exert some control in that area but it didn't - another sign that we are lacking real "bollocks" in there.

We are expecting Leon to do all the "dirty work" in midfield - and then today he has to play at centre-back after Will's dismissal and that leaves us with absolutely no protection. There is a GAPING HOLE literally and metaphorically in the team. I would go down to the Alliance if needs be to find a player who will yell and bawl at his team-mates, run all day and will get himself in the faces of the opposition. I don't care if he has the touch of a rhino and can only put the ball into row Z. At least he won't allow the other team to dance round him at will.

View user profile

31 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 18:39

DA spot on very disappointed considering a good crowd. Had to leave 5 mins from final whistle. The team apart from brown who I felt played well were far below the standard required at this level. I would imagine the management will have some serious thinking to do if stourbridge are to look for promotion
You would hope the players can sort this out as well fingers crossed.

View user profile

32 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 18:39

That was a bit of a shambles.

We never looked likely in the first half but to be fair neither did they and it was the sending off that changed the game I think, both teams at 11 a side could have been there for weeks before scoring. As for the sending off, I didn't have the best view, but certainly better than the ref did, and thought it was possibly harsh.

After that I thought we picked up a bit and to hit the bar one minute and concede straight after for their second is frustrating. After that there was only one winner and the 3rd was inevitable.

Fantastic to see a good crowd, shame it couldn't be rewarded.

I don't want to be pessimistic but even my optimistic view of a playoff place is now wavering!

View user profile

33 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 18:44

Certainly at a crossroads point after that horror show, fear the league campaign will peter out. I thought having the free Tuesday this week might have helped us!

Outfought by a well organised side, I just didn't see us scoring all afternoon, the red card obviously influenced things, but I think at best it would have ended 0-0 or losing 1-0 without it.  The first half was dire to watch from both teams, with one good block from Worby being about the only thing of note.  The keeper was caught out of position for the penalty,  I think Richards did handle it and the ref had to red card him, and it was pretty much game over from that point, they wasted some easy chances to increase the lead late on in the match.  At least The ref's hamstring gave some light relief (not much) I was hoping the match would be called off, certainly the chap who did the line didn't seem to know when to raise his flag!

Apart from a couple of instances, today was as bad as i've seen from Stour in the league, time and again we come up short against these type of sides and I think both tactics and squad need an overhaul, It's up to the management to come up with the answers.  

Will be interesting how the season pans out from here, will we not make the play offs in my opinion, but hope at least we turn the corner from today.

View user profile

34 Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 19:45

Most of the comments expressed above are, understandably, borne out of sheer frustration. I agree with most of them BUT the play-offs ARE still within reach. Having said that, if we play many more times like today, we don't even deserve to make them.

If Fitz's half-chance in the 1st half had gone in and if Knight's effort had been a few inches lower, things might have been different.

But, too many players had off-days and never seemed to have the bottle for a fight back of 10 against 11 which they did do last week, let's not forget.

The next few weeks are going to be crucial. No doubt Gary and his team are scouring the leagues, looking for better players. With money in the bank, we might have to pay over the odds to attract the one striker and, at least, two midfielders we need, otherwise the season will just peter out, resulting in yet another season in the Southern league but with our better players eg Will moving on.

This is going to be probably the biggest test of Gary's football management taking SFC to the next level. I wish him well.

View user profile

35 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 19:51

Jack

Admin
I always believe a team has a 'time' where promotion should be achieved. When it's the natural progression. That was last year. If we don't make the play offs can see a lot of our better players moving on.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

36 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 19:58

stour_boy wrote:Unlucky lads, heads up for Tuesday.

Shame a couple of morons wearing Stour scarves turned up second half, giving their bench abuse for no reason. Then, surprise surprise they trot off home as soon as they were asked to tone it down. We really don't need these sort of people at the club.

Still, the excellent crowd was a positive from today.

Unlucky lads???!!!
Absolute garbage with no passion at all....not unlucky in the slightest,just shat!!!

View user profile

37 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 20:04

TRM wrote:DA, I don't always agree with you, but EVERY WORD of that post is bang on the nail.

Tricky threatened me with untold nastiness if I tried to find a positive out of that - but here are two...

1. The management surely have to do something after that.

2. The pitch looked immaculate all things considered.

I'll give you those two TRM.

How on earth can Rocky play nearly 80 mins a fortnight ago and get five minutes today at the back...any idea's?? Seriously give me a clue please...oh my mistake Drew the world beater was back!!!!!!

View user profile

38 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 20:23

Devil's Advocate wrote:
stour_boy wrote:Aaron hadn't exactly been playing extremely well though, and had been on the receiving end of some stick from some of the fans at previous matches and after that he was loaned out.

What are we doing with the likes of Brown,Benbow,Canavan and Fitz playing wide when Wurzel has proved over a few seasons that he's a terrific wide man AND he works his nut's off for the cause.

Did you think the same at the Burnham match?

View user profile

39 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 20:29

stour_boy wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:

Well done stour boy,giving a one game example as your case for argument....class.

View user profile

40 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 20:31

To be fair, our defence was rarely troubled before the sending off - our keeper made one excellent save in the first half when they really should have scored, but other than that I was less worried every time they went forward than I was against Bedford, and maybe Hitchin as well. Having said that we were seriously lacking up front and only had a few half chances in the first half ourselves - Fitzpatrick had a decent chance and Brown with a header I think.

There were disappointing performances across the pitch, we battled away well enough but the quality just didn't appear to be there. Pretty much all of our creative output in the first half came from Ben, and everyone faded away in the second half.

I didn't have any quarrel with who came on as sub but it was strange to see us being down to ten men, and substituting Haynes and then Oliver off?! Albeit Oliver might have been in a bit of a hot headed state having been absolutely adamant that the ball had run out of play in the run up to their third goal, and picking up a caution for his protests.

View user profile

41 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 20:32

Someone has said Brown played well today what planet does he live on.

How fitz gets in a team at this level is beyond me Sunday league would be his level.

When we needed a player that can take on players we play him at the back. Gary please answer on this forum if you have the bottle. I dont this forum will get an answer

If gary wants to stop then say promtion has gone but we are looking at our squad.

Then get rid of Bennett, Geddes, Fitzpatrick, Oliver, Coleman,Brown and Benbow and start again.

One other thing from today Ryan might have got stick from missing goals but 100% he made defenders play.

View user profile

42 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 20:33

Tricky Tree wrote:
stour_boy wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:

Well done stour boy,giving a one game example as your case for argument....class.

You misinterpreted my meaning. I wasn't saying he was rubbish at Burnham (everyone was), I'm just finding it strange that someone who gave Wurzel some stick at Burnham and cheering his substitution, if my memory serves me correctly, is now calling for his return as someone who could be a catalyst to better things.

View user profile

43 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 20:35

stoursi wrote:Someone has said Brown played well today what planet does he live on.

How fitz gets in a team at this level is beyond me Sunday league would be his level.

When we needed a player that can take on players we play him at the back. Gary please answer on this forum if you have the bottle. I dont this forum will get an answer

If gary wants to stop then say promtion has gone but we are looking at our squad.

Then get rid of Bennett, Geddes, Fitzpatrick, Oliver, Coleman,Brown and Benbow and start again.

One other thing from today Ryan might have got stick from missing goals but 100% he made defenders play.

I really appreciate you must be frustrated and somewhat angry (we all are) but I think some of the names on that list are crazy suggestions, to be honest.

View user profile

44 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 20:49

Jack

Admin
Geddes, Nathan & Benbow?

All for discussion and opinions, but frankly that's ridiculous. You've just named our best defender, Striker & Midfielder.

45 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 20:49

stoursi wrote:Someone has said Brown played well today what planet does he live on.

One other thing from today Ryan might have got stick from missing goals but 100%
he made defenders play.

Spot on about Ryan....a few people I know have slated him the last few weeks but I always said I thought he was still our best striker...yes he missed a few chances but my god he certainly gave his all,made defender's earn their money and NEVER sulked like a certain forward we currently have.

View user profile

46 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 20:55

Jack

Admin
Luke may well sulk however he was still much better than Ryan. Don't get me wrong, we missed Rowey today. However trying to turn it to have a go at Luke isn't fair. Luke ALSO gives his all.

47 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 21:03

Tricky spot on at least some knows their football and he proved that last week at Truro when a certain striker got sent off for a stupid foul. Where you their Jack

Nathan has been a great servant to our club but this year for me has been struggling. Not having a go at him at all.

Geddes our best midfield well if that's the case why does our midfield get over run in some many games. He ain't the best midfielder in this by a mile. Its about time people on this forum realised this.

Benbow has more sulks then a baby he needs to grow up a lot and make teams suffer for his frustration.

Think I have more to have a view as I have only missed one game and are prepared to go to Bashley on Tuesday night.

Except trickys reasons but who else has got a good reason.

View user profile

48 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 21:03

Jack wrote:Luke may well sulk however he was still much better than Ryan. Don't get me wrong, we missed Rowey today. However trying to turn it to have a go at Luke isn't fair. Luke ALSO gives his all.

I wasn't "trying to turn it to have a go at Luke" at all.
If I wanted to have a go I certainly wouldn't hold back.

I believe Ryan is a better player and a better option and that's my opinion.
Luke does sulk and there is no denying it. I've lost count of the amount of people I've heard having a moan about his selfish attitude....he certainly doesn't come across as a team player....too quick to moan when things don't go his way.

View user profile

49 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 21:05

For one thing, Gary will not comment on this forum, and nor should he. The moment managers start "mixing it" with supporters in this kind of debate they are in trouble. The only place he can and should prove anything is through his team on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday night.

I'd agree about Ryan. I thought when he came on last Saturday at half time he had possibly his best 45 minutes since he came back. Took his goal well, and laid the ball off perfectly for the chance Ben missed. He was a handful and brought others into the game both directly and indirectly (through occupying defenders and leaving space for other players). May be significant that he had the forward line to himself instead of Luke getting in his way. That's not a criticism of Luke, just that the pairing hasn't really ever gelled.

As for the "get rid" list, I think it's a bit random. There are others I would be looking to move on before some of those. Coleman, Geddes, Benbow and Bennett are definite "keeps" for me, at least until in some cases we know we have better replacements in the bag. Nathan is a worry for me, though, I thought we missed his calmness today when we were down to ten, but I do feel that he has been caught out more of late and is not going to keep going for ever. As with one or two other longer serving players, we need to be conscious of their "best before" dates. I think that's an area where we are in danger of being caught out, if we haven't been already.

View user profile

50 Re: Bideford Saturday on Sat Jan 18 2014, 21:08

stoursi wrote:Tricky spot on at least some knows their football and he proved that last week at Truro when a certain striker got sent off for a stupid foul. Where you their Jack

Nathan has been a great servant to our club but this year for me has been struggling. Not having a go at him at all.

Geddes our best midfield well if that's the case why does our midfield get over run in some many games. He ain't the best midfielder in this by a mile. Its about time people on this forum realised this.

Benbow has more sulks then a baby he needs to grow up a lot and make teams suffer for his frustration.

Think I have more to have a view as I have only missed one game and are prepared to go to Bashley on Tuesday night.

Except trickys reasons but who else has got a good reason.

If I had the cash I wouldn't miss a single Saturday game and on a Tuesday I have my boys until seven...my ex has recently told me there is no room for negotiation or day change on this matter so I can't make mid week away games although I'd love to be able to attend.
Si....I hope you didn't loff when the ball hit your lovely Mrs?

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum