Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bedford next up.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Bedford next up. on Sun Jan 05 2014, 14:34

After suffering a truly dismal result and performance at Bedford ( again! ) we really do owe them a right old stuffing on Tuesday night.

We need a couple of early goals,if we can manage that i envisage a "hammering" of epic proportions.

The away game versus them was the first occasion this season that we let poor opposition get the better of us,let us put the record straight on Tuesday.

View user profile

2 Re: Bedford next up. on Mon Jan 06 2014, 16:41

You've got to be optimistic about this one, surely. They've not won in 21 games in all competitions, if my maths is correct - not since September.

The only fly in that is that they've just appointed a new manager and may well have a few new faces. We all know how that can give a team a lift.

DA's right. We really do owe them one, and we've got to take three points from this game. Like Stourboy has said on the Hitchin thread, 39 points from 22 games is far from disastrous, but it doesn't leave as much "wriggle-room" as I'd like for future slip-ups. That means the "must-wins" are exactly that, and home to a side in the drop zone, with the record they have is exactly that - a must-win.

View user profile

3 Re: Bedford next up. on Mon Jan 06 2014, 16:48

TRM wrote:You've got to be optimistic about this one, surely. They've not won in 21 games in all competitions, if my maths is correct - not since September.

The only fly in that is that they've just appointed a new manager and may well have a few new faces. We all know how that can give a team a lift.

DA's right. We really do owe them one, and we've got to take three points from this game. Like Stourboy has said on the Hitchin thread, 39 points from 22 games is far from disastrous, but it doesn't leave as much "wriggle-room" as I'd like for future slip-ups. That means the "must-wins" are exactly that, and home to a side in the drop zone, with the record they have is exactly that - a must-win.  

If we can't beat teams like Bedford then i think it's time to wave goodbye to a few of the players and go for a re-build job.

I fully expect us to win…………just like i did at their place when they were truly awful and there for the taking in the first 20 minutes.

A couple of early goals on Tuesday and we'll end up needing a calculator,give them an early goal and we'll struggle to get a draw.

I believe we've only come from a goal down to win a league match on one occasion this season ( home to Corby ) and in truth thats always the measure of any team,how much bottle and heart have you got when the going is a little tougher.

View user profile

4 Re: Bedford next up. on Mon Jan 06 2014, 20:55

HAS to be a win, but worried about the new manager "bounce" that all clubs seem to enjoy at first.

Hopefully the weather will hold tomorrow...

View user profile

5 Re: Bedford next up. on Mon Jan 06 2014, 21:07

Surely a win against Bedford. I mean even Bashley beat them, i'm not a stourbridge fan but how have your lot been playing lately. Bedford even with a new manager are surely lacking the quality to beat you's

View user profile

6 Re: Bedford next up. on Tue Jan 07 2014, 11:13

Will be late tonight due to work commitments. Lets hope for plenty of action in the second half!

View user profile

7 Re: Bedford next up. on Tue Jan 07 2014, 13:19

Gather there's no issue with the pitch and game is on barring freak weather.

Hemel v Bideford still on as well - bit surprising as all the Hemel fans were saying there was no chance of it being on. The other two games (Biggleswade v Poole, Chippenham v Arlesey) are both off.

View user profile

8 Re: Bedford next up. on Tue Jan 07 2014, 14:25

Win tonight and we are in the playoffs. The promotion push starts tonight!

View user profile http://www.nibadges.com

9 Re: Bedford next up. on Tue Jan 07 2014, 22:05

A win is a win so they say,"win ugly" when you're playing cr@p is usually how you end up in the play offs and boy did we test that saying to the max tonight.

A dreadful performance rescued due to a willingness not to give up when nothing is going right for you,the harder we tried the worse we got.

Finally,after a game and three quarters when we couldn't get the run of the ball we actually got a couple of breaks with both goals so well done to Benbow and Brown for their "never say die" attitude.

I shall be at Truro,i do hope we can find a bit of form and click into gear down there.

View user profile

10 Re: Bedford next up. on Tue Jan 07 2014, 22:54

A welcome 3 points and undeserved really, but makes up a little for the lost points on Saturday, for a long time it looked like the biggest cheer of the night would be reserved for the lack of half time music!

A good game to watch, Bedford where better than Hitchin, fortunate with the shot that rattled the crossbar and the follow up that seemed certain to be poked in, once they went in front it was difficult to see a way back, well done to the team for turning it round. I think we could have had more goals if we'd gone for the throat, I don't like the whole wasting time in the corner thing and then put yourself under pressure by losing the ball. Bedford caused a lot of issues at the back and there are too many hairy moments for my liking on a consistent basis, still a win's a win.

Who on earth was doing all the tactical shouting in the second half? I can only assume it was the Bedford manager (had the ref sent him off?), it's bad enough from the home bench sometimes without having to listen to it from both angles! to stand in the thick of home supporters takes some doing.

View user profile

11 Re: Bedford next up. on Tue Jan 07 2014, 23:19

The "bloke in the stand" was their Assistant Manager, Alan Biley (yes, that one). He and the manager are newly appointed and are clearly getting to work on the team. He was giving them instructions all through the second half.

I'll say this for him - he had a good bit of banter (proper banter, not the kind of abuse that passes for banter half the time) with the Stour supporters around him. All parties gave and took in good spirit, and he shook hands with a lot of Stour fans at the end. Seems to me like a man who takes the game as exactly that and just loves football. There are precious few of them around in the game, sadly. More power to him.

As for us, it was good to see the spirit we showed to battle back and turn it around. Not the greatest performance but we got better and forced the result in the end. Showing signs of wear and tear on the squad - we need that week off next week.

Thought Sansara looked good, but went for Leon as MotM. Not just because of the occasion, but because he kept his head and his discipline, won the ball back and broke up attacks, and kept us going as much as anybody. Made a few good interventions in the last few minutes when we could have given it away as well.

One big problem, though. When we attack we are still far too exposed and teams look like opening us up far too easily. We are NEVER safe with a one-goal lead because teams can always get beyond our midfield and attack the back four. At 2-1 up tonight Nathan and Will both got exposed and ended up committing fouls as a result. Nathan got booked and Will's led to an advantage that they thankfully couldn't exploit.

Rowey was lucky not to walk, in my view. It was right in front of me and regardless of the contact, which was minimal, it was a lunge and he wasn't in control. However, perhaps it got us a bit fired up and that was what we needed at that stage.

A win is a win.

Last edited by TRM on Wed Jan 08 2014, 10:48; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

12 Re: Bedford next up. on Tue Jan 07 2014, 23:49

TRM wrote:The "bloke in the stand" was their Assistant Manager, Alan Biley (yes, that one). He and the manager are newly appointed and are clearly getting to work on the team. He was giving them instructions all through the second half.

I'll say this for him - he had a good bit of banter (proper banter, not the kind of abuse that passes for banter half the time) with the Stour supporters around him. All parties gave and took in good spirit, and he shook hands with a lot of Stour fans at the end. Seems to me like a man who takes the game as exactly that and just loves football. There are precious few of them around in the game, sadly. More power to him.

As for us, it was good to see the spirit we showed to battle back and turn it around. Not the greatest performance but we got better and forced the result in the end. Showing signs of wear and tear on the squad - we need that week off next week.

Thought Sansara looked good, but went for Leon as MotM. Not just because of the occasion, but because he kept his head and his discipline, won the ball back and broke up attacks, and kept us going as much as anybody. Made a few good interventions in the last few minutes when we could have given it away as well.

One big problem, though. When we attack we are still far too exposed and teams look like opening us up far too easily. We are NEVER safe with a one-goal lead because teams can always get beyond our midfield and attack the back four. At 2-1 up tonight Nathan and Will both got exposed and ended up committing fouls as a result. Nathan got booked and Will's led to an advantage that they thankfully couldn't exploit.

Rowdy was lucky not to walk, in my view. It was right in front of me and regardless of the contact, which was minimal, it was a lunge and he wasn't in control. However, perhaps it got us a bit fired up and that was what we needed at that stage.

A win is a win.

"Rowdy"

LOL…………a classic faux pas TRM………"Rowdy"…….ROFL. :-))

View user profile

13 Re: Bedford next up. on Wed Jan 08 2014, 11:26

The perils of the iPad autocorrect! Amended now.

This how nicknames are born, isn't it?!

View user profile

14 Re: Bedford next up. on Wed Jan 08 2014, 11:47

TRM wrote:The perils of the iPad autocorrect! Amended now.

This how nicknames are born, isn't it?!

Shouldn't it be…"This IS how nicknames are born, isn't it?!

You're having a "mare" TRM…….why not quit whilst you're only two down!?

Then again………..it wasn't you that started an identical thread on the same subject yesterday :-(

View user profile

15 Bedford next up on Wed Jan 08 2014, 15:59

Not a game to linger in the memory for long but 3 points are 3 points so let's be thankful for the never-say-die attitude of the team. Luke was again, last night, the perfect example showing that he can liven up what was, let's face it, a game going nowhere and devoid of any atmosphere. Yes he can be sulky and, yes, he can be selfish but he makes things happen.

With Leon, our midfield was not as bad as against Hitchin but, again, Bedford's at times seemed to be picking up all the loose balls and, at times, dominating the middle of the pitch. That is a worry.

Good to see Sam back but, with Sean, we must have one of the smallest in height midfields in the league. That's why we don't win many aerial battles.

At this halfway stage, the race for the play-offs seems to be between the six of Cambridge, Chesham, Poole, St Albans, Bideford and ourselves with Bideford starting to feel the strain.

So, even though our overall play is not, at times, as good as what we all want to see, we are in a strong position to reach the play-offs.

View user profile

16 Re: Bedford next up. on Wed Jan 08 2014, 16:48

Man of the Match was Luke Benbow with 11 votes, Leon received 7, Dam 4 , Netan 3 , Will 2 & Kayledon 1.

Wine was won by Paul Rock

View user profile

17 Re: Bedford next up. on Wed Jan 08 2014, 19:01

Nice photo of Leon and his little girl alongside the report in the Express & Star tonight.

View user profile

18 Re: Bedford next up. on Wed Jan 08 2014, 20:25

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum