Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

SFC Website

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 SFC Website on Mon Dec 16 2013, 19:22

For those who didn't know, I'm involved with the day-to-day admin and updating of the Club's official website.

It's been revamped by Pitchero. I would be interested to know what you lot think of it now.

View user profile

2 Re: SFC Website on Mon Dec 16 2013, 19:57

Seems a logical layout. Decent enough to navigate. Good to have player profiles on, where they there before? I find the pitcherto websites a bit cluttered but I think that's down to all the ads and sponsors that are needed there which can't really be helped.

My first thought on visiting the 'new' site was whether the the news for all the club's different sides needs to be on the front page? Made the search for 1st team news a little trickier. I like the fact that news for all teams is on there, must keep a steady stream of hits / interest on the site but just thought the 1st team needed to be the overriding theme for the homepage. Don't know what others think? I can see the other side of the argument might be it promotes the club as a pillar of the community that takes seriously all age ranges.

I don't want this to become a moan but I do think one area of the website is poor is the match report / fixtures and results sections. I know this is probably down to finding a regular who can and wants to complete match reports but I don't think it looks too professional that some matches don't have reports or team news. I have attended a lot less matches this year and have always been a bit of a 'geek' for stats eg. Appearances / attendances / teams / subs etc so rely on the website for this. Stourboy's unofficial site from a few years ago was good for this and Incidentally  (and I think I've mentioned this before) but our friends from birmingham in blue's website is particularly good for this type of thing; Lots of stats / ex player info / match previews and links to previous meetings etc. Again not a Moan and probably reliant on a volunteer to keep it up to date but just my thoughts.

Sorry it turned into a ramble and I hope it's reasonably constructive.

PS I also like the photo section on our site.

View user profile

3 Re: SFC Website on Mon Dec 16 2013, 20:24

Pictures are a little hazy.

Away from website i think the club should have a good regular twitter feed, which should be available to view on the homepage.

View user profile

4 Re: SFC Website on Mon Dec 16 2013, 20:34

Jack

Admin
Stour have one of the poorest Twitter accounts in the league.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

5 Re: SFC Website on Mon Dec 16 2013, 21:01

I've spoken to Andy P about the twitter account in the last couple of weeks. I don't think the Club have been savvy enough to realise the importance of twitter (for which I am not knocking them) as a major - possibly THE major - means of communicating with supporters and others. We have lagged behind others in this one. Hopefully that is about to change.

Totally at random I looked up the number of followers other clubs have...

St Albans City - 3,478
Halesowen Town - 3,047
St Neots Town - 2,855
Weymouth - 2,209
Hemel Hempstead Town - 2,192
Banbury Utd - 2,164
Truro City - 1,326
Kettering Town - 1,195
Redditch Utd - 1,125
STOURBRIDGE - 997
Tividale - 968
Brocton - 750

We should have more than 1,000 given our recent successes and fanbase.

(Not knocking the club's current tweeter - I think it sort of fell on him by default almost)

View user profile

6 Re: SFC Website on Tue Dec 17 2013, 10:07

Jack

Admin
Not sure what the club have in mind, but I'd be more than happy to help out with the twitter.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

7 Re: SFC Website on Tue Dec 17 2013, 11:11

Jack wrote:Not sure what the club have in mind, but I'd be more than happy to help out with the twitter.

Take it from me, Jack. You'd need to tone yourself down a bit from your usual Twitter persona!  Laughing 

View user profile

8 Re: SFC Website on Tue Dec 17 2013, 15:01

Credit where it`s due as it`s a decent(not world class etc) improvement on the old site.

Maybe the borders could be enhanced a little bit around the match reports though if possible as they look a touch jumbled together to me.

View user profile

9 Re: SFC Website on Tue Dec 17 2013, 15:18

I think Pitchero and the club have missed a trick again.

Last year i set up for the club a "Cashback" scheme through the Pitchero website that allows fan's to be donating to the club every time they shop online with a vast number of retailer's.

These retailer's typically give the club operating the scheme a "kick back" of between 1%-3% of every online purchase made after clicking through the Pitchero site link to get to that retailer.

It's one of the easiest ways i've ever seen of earning your club money for doing nothing,all you had to do was shop through the "Cashback" link.

It was poorly visible on the previous site and now i can't find it at all,in my opinion it should have been a main feature on the home page.

"Money for nothing"…………Dire Strait's…..mmm.

View user profile

10 Re: SFC Website on Tue Dec 17 2013, 15:37

To be fair to the Club, it's Pitchero's layout not ours. And the Cashback scheme is publicised with a full page ad in every programme.

The reason I posted the original question about the update is that I think it's appalling - the homepage, at least. I didn't say so because I wanted people's own opinions first. As far as I'm concerned they've ruined a perfectly good homepage - this applies to all their websites, not just SFC. The majority of feedback to them (as an admin I can see it) has also been vehemently negative for much the same reasons, although some people do seem to like it.

View user profile

11 Re: SFC Website on Tue Dec 17 2013, 15:55

TRM wrote:To be fair to the Club, it's Pitchero's layout not ours. And the Cashback scheme is publicised with a full page ad in every programme.

The reason I posted the original question about the update is that I think it's appalling - the homepage, at least. I didn't say so because I wanted people's own opinions first. As far as I'm concerned they've ruined a perfectly good homepage - this applies to all their websites, not just SFC. The majority of feedback to them (as an admin I can see it) has also been vehemently negative for much the same reasons, although some people do seem to like it.

Not so TRM,some clubs display the "Cashback" tab much more visibly and keep it in people's faces.

I agree with you though about the new home page,it's an absolute abortion.

View user profile

12 Re: SFC Website on Tue Dec 17 2013, 18:01

Devil's Advocate wrote:
TRM wrote:To be fair to the Club, it's Pitchero's layout not ours. And the Cashback scheme is publicised with a full page ad in every programme.

Not so TRM,some clubs display the "Cashback" tab much more visibly and keep it in people's faces.

There should also be an open window/flash banner everytime you open the website for the cashback scheme, especially this time of year.

View user profile

13 Re: SFC Website on Wed Dec 18 2013, 12:13

brockmoor wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:

There should also be an open window/flash banner everytime you open the website for the cashback scheme, especially this time of year.

Anyone any idea how much that has actually raised the club? I must admit I haven't used it myself, but will endeavour to the next time I do some online shopping.

View user profile http://www.nibadges.com

14 Re: SFC Website on Wed Dec 18 2013, 15:52

I used it last year but to be honest, completely forgot about it this year despite doing almost all the Christmas shopping on line with a number of the partner companies. Kind of emphasises the point I guess!

View user profile

15 Re: SFC Website on Wed Dec 18 2013, 16:27

UlsterJim wrote:
brockmoor wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:

Anyone any idea how much that has actually raised the club?  I must admit I haven't used it myself, but will endeavour to the next time I do some online shopping.

You can't buy that sort of adult material through the club website link Jim…….under the counter at your local newsagent as usual is your best bet :-)

View user profile

16 Re: SFC Website on Wed Jan 01 2014, 22:47

I very rarely use the website now. I get distracted - not in a good way - by all the 'other stuff' around it.

If you want an example of a brilliant website you should look at Aylesbury Uniteds. Dont know how to do links and stuff  Embarassed  but its not hard to find.Really up to date in depth news, clear, concise and loads of stats which would please many of our fans!  Smile 

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum