Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stevenage Away.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 4 of 8]

76 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 18:03

He's a cock-er-nee wanna be Jack,he should have come and introduced himself to us yesterday.
He will be gone in a couple of hours because he's got school in the morning.
Don't forget to get mommy to tuck you in nice and tight borofox....bless you.

View user profile

77 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 18:07

no school for me, got a nice full time job. Didn't really want to mention it as you might be jealous in your cardboard house. Don't worry i'll pay your benefits.
You can tuck me in if you wish. i'll even let you lick the tip.Razz 

Tricky Tree wrote:He's a cock-er-nee wanna be Jack,he should have come and introduced himself to us yesterday.
He will be gone in a couple of hours because he's got school in the morning.
Don't forget to get mommy to tuck you in nice and tight borofox....bless you.

View user profile

78 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 18:39

I suggest we ignore this fool folks. He's obviously got some sort of inferiority complex that he, the fan of a big time football league club feels the need to come on here and start bickering with little old us, but then I guess it's a rare opportunity to feel superior for Stevenage.

Well done on beating a team from the southern prem, I hope it comforts you when you're relegated come April. It's a pity that keyboard warriors such as you appear to have been unloved as a child. Come to our next home game mate and we can all give you the hugs and attention you clearly crave. Much love xx

View user profile

79 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 18:45

Aled wrote:I suggest we ignore this fool folks. He's obviously got some sort of inferiority complex that he, the fan of a big time football league club feels the need to come on here and start bickering with little old us, but then I guess it's a rare opportunity to feel superior for Stevenage.

Well done on beating a team from the southern prem, I hope it comforts you when you're relegated come April. It's a pity that keyboard warriors such as you appear to have been unloved as a child. Come to our next home game mate and we can all give you the hugs and attention you clearly crave. Much love xx
Aled,I had forgotten all about him,I was doing something far more important,I was rearranging my sock drawer.

View user profile

80 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 19:00

I had come on here to give my views on yesterdays game, and congratulate on a hard fought loss, but hey just shows it wasn't a small minority yet a majority of your fans are vile, hatred spewing inbreds. With no sense of their size when it comes to real football. oh well. Hugs and kisses.

Tricky Tree wrote:
Aled wrote:I suggest we ignore this fool folks. He's obviously got some sort of inferiority complex that he, the fan of a big time football league club feels the need to come on here and start bickering with little old us, but then I guess it's a rare opportunity to feel superior for Stevenage.

Aled,I had forgotten all about him,I was doing something far more important,I was rearranging my sock drawer.

View user profile

81 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 19:03

To be fair BoroFox, that last post would have carried more gravitas had you not launched into an attack on us after your 3rd sentence.

View user profile

82 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 19:05

Jack

Admin
Real football? Razz 

In the context of English Football history it was only last week you were in the Conference. Rolling Eyes 

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

83 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 19:09

....and only a fortnight until they're back in it lol

View user profile

84 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 20:39

Just a brilliant day from start to finish for everybody involved - players, management, officials (love the ties!) and the vast majority of genuine supporters - slightly more than 100 of us Wink  - who can be hugely proud not just of yesterday but of the whole Cup run.

I thought the first half was magnificent. Not only did we play well, but our attitude and approach was everythingit should have been. We didn't attempt to shut up shop and stifle them at all. We went for an attacking policy which was exactly the right thing to do. Given all the things I've said about needing to beef up the midfield and protect our defence more, you might think I would have favoured 4-5-1, but I felt we were always going to be struggling to compete on even terms in the middle over the 90 minutes and we were far better off playing both Luke and Ryan and hopefully giving their defence something to think about. I think they would have swamped a lone striker and our attacks would have been stifled.

Were we the better team in the first half? Maybe, maybe not - yes, it's true that at times we had more of the possession and territory, but you could always tell Stevenage were the better group of players. However, our work-rate and energy forced them onto the backfoot at times and also brought out sloppy mistakes which enabled us to more than hold our own. Our composure on the ball and refusal to panic or "lump" the ball when we were in the odd sticky spot really impressed me. Will and Nathan were outstanding, Jamie and Anfdre not far behind - it's not often I get to watch our defence close up but I couldn't fault the way they played yesterday against strong, pacy attackers, limiting Stevenage to very few real chances (although the ones they did have were good ones). Just a pity that we got caught out on a set-piece having done so much hard work throughout the half.

Had Luke's shot gone in, had Leon's effort not been disallowed (heard it said it was a harsh decision but unfortunately they didn't show it on the telly so can't judge), had Ryan got more on his header or Day not been so agile, or had Drew's shot just crept inside the post... All ifs and buts - but we created more chances and played much better in those 45 minutes than we did two years ago (and Stevenage were nowhere near the side they were then either), and that shows to me that we are better team now than then.

Those last couple of minutes of the half were the first time that I thought we lost our composure a bit, and it carried over into the second half, as well as Stevenage upping their game with the boost of the goal. The second and third were sadly sloppy goals to give away but that's the way it goes sometimes.

I thought that the last half hour again was very good from our point of view. We were on the back-foot for a lot of it and could have conceded more goals but we were never camped in our own box, totally unable to clear our lines. We still tried to play as much as we could, even though Luke and Ryan became more detached and it was a lot harder to build coherent attacks. The fourth goal made it look more uneven as a contest than it really was.

Not one player had a bad game, our tactics were spot on, and we made the right substitutions - especially bringing on Knighty and showing some real attacking intent at 3-0 down, even if it made us more vulnerable. I think Gary was determined to try to give us a goal (a real one!) to celebrate.

I'm inclined to agree with Brockmoor about "that" element of our support. A bit more has been made of it, on both sides, than necessary. Setting off a smoke bomb and one bloke running on the pitch, plus stupidly breaking seats, we can really do without, and the chants at Day mystified me as much as everybody else. The rest of (pretend goals, attempted Mexican waves and all that) was silly but didn't spoil it for me. Then again, unlike Jane and one or two others, I wasn't right in the thick of it.

My only basic gripe is that I'd rather sing songs that encourage and praise our own players instead of having a go at the opposition - plenty of good positive chants were started by "proper" Stour supporters and when that happened they carried the "others" along too, which was fantastic and has been commented on all over the media. It didn't help that the game was beyond doubt with 30 minutes still to go, and a lot of thoe day-tripper element had lost interest. Perhaps it also shows the difference between the Football League mentality and the NL mentality (as does our friend, borofox, with his childish prattling). I know which I prefer.

All in all it's been a blast - now we have to get back to the real thing.

We all saw yesterday what the team is capable of when everybody is available and preparation is 100% right. The last six weeks or so have been incredibly tough for a non-league club and for part-time players. I would be surprised if any club at our level has had to contend with the amount of travelling we have done in such a short space of time. Maybe occasionally one or two of us (I will include myself) have been a touch overly harsh after certain games.

So, a rallying call. That's in the past and this should be a new start. Time for Gary and the squad to refocus and time for us to do so too. We have a very important game on Tuesday night to keep the last significant Cup competition alive, and then we have a big, must-win (aren't they all?), home game next Saturday before a week off (hoorah!!!) and then the journey to Hemel. Let's get behind the lads and make sure that all the positives from yesterday are not wasted.

COYG!!!!!

View user profile

85 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 20:47

Like everyone else I was so proud to be a Glassboy yesterday.

The better team for 40 minutes we had them worried as shown by GW's frantic arm gestures throughout that period and the very early substitution of a player who did not seem injured. The whole team ran their socks off and put some good moves together, it was great to see us showing confidence in our abilities by retaining possession against a team 4 levels above us, something they were unable to do. I thought the corner decision for the first goal a bit harsh , but even then I thought we were still in the game. We started the second half well but that second goal knocked the stuffing out of us and gave then the confidence to start to play on the ground and retain possession, something they failed to do the whole of the first half. Until that point they had only looked dangerous at corners. Even at 3 0 we never stopped running and continued to play good football.

But overall we gave it our best shot and all the players & staff can be proud of their contribution, I hope they enjoyed their day as much as I enjoyed mine.
The scenes at the end were great and showed how much Stourbridge FC means to people and brought a tear to my eye.
Thanks and well done to everyone who contributed to a magnificent performance on and of the pitch and a great day out.

Thanks also to the Stevenage stewards who allowed us sit wherever we wished, this meant I was amongst true Stour fans which added a lot to my enjoyment.

I just hope the fool who tried to spoil our celebrations at the end by running on the pitch spent an enjoyable night in a cell.
We were trying to cheer and congratulate our heroic performance and that dolt tried to steal the limelight,IDIOT!

View user profile

86 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 21:05

Don't know if this is right, but according to Football Away Days on Twitter (@FBAwayDays), the biggest travelling supports in the FA Cup this weekend were...

Dover Athletic (at MK Dons) - 1,068
Stourbridge - 800
Bristol City (at Tamworth) - 755

I know ours was quoted as 809, not 800, so as I say I don't know how accurate those other two figures are, or whether there are any others missing.

Definitely a feather in the cap, although maybe another sign of the lack of interest in the Cup from Football League sides. Those figures suggest, for example, that we had more than Sheffield United did at Cambridge Utd today, or Coventry at Hartlepool yesterday.

View user profile

87 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 22:03

Jack

Admin
In fairness to the lad that ran on, having caught it on camera myself as well as others also doing it, the way he got on was hilarious. He took advantage of all the stewards concentrating on another fan and quickly legged it. Seeing him edging closer and almost hearing him umming and arring whether to do it, was worth it for me.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

88 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 22:15

Yeah, I think I will just fall about laughing if the club gets fined for it too....

View user profile

89 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 22:20

TRM wrote:Don't know if this is right, but according to Football Away Days on Twitter (@FBAwayDays), the biggest travelling supports in the FA Cup this weekend were...

Dover Athletic (at MK Dons) - 1,068
Stourbridge - 800
Bristol City (at Tamworth) - 755

I know ours was quoted as 809, not 800, so as I say I don't know how accurate those other two figures are, or whether there are any others missing.

Definitely a feather in the cap, although maybe another sign of the lack of interest in the Cup from Football League sides. Those figures suggest, for example, that we had more than Sheffield United did at Cambridge Utd today, or Coventry at Hartlepool yesterday.
That's fantastic, although the Stevenage report has it at 756.

View user profile

90 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 23:00

stour_boy wrote:Yeah, I think I will just fall about laughing if the club gets fined for it too....
I also watched how he got on the pitch and found it funny.
Yes he shouldn't have done it but he meant no harm.
The policeman that chucked him in the meat waggon said he was a lovely bloke but was a bit drunk.
God forbid you ever do anything spontaneous Stour-boy....or should I call you Mr.Repressed??

View user profile

91 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 23:26

In Stourboys defence, whilst the pitch invader meant no harm and didn't cause any offence, it's not right if it ends up costing the club money. It was amusing and a bit of lighthearted entertainment, but he should be paying the clubs fine if there is one.

View user profile

92 Re: Stevenage Away. on Sun Dec 08 2013, 23:43

Aled wrote:In Stourboys defence, whilst the pitch invader meant no harm and didn't cause any offence, it's not right if it ends up costing the club money. It was amusing and a bit of lighthearted entertainment, but he should be paying the clubs fine if there is one.
No he shouldn't at all....he cocked up and his punishment will be his own fine...good god lets publicly flog the poor get aswell.

View user profile

93 Re: Stevenage Away. on Mon Dec 09 2013, 00:01

Tricky Tree wrote:
stour_boy wrote:Yeah, I think I will just fall about laughing if the club gets fined for it too....
I also watched how he got on the pitch and found it funny.
Yes he shouldn't have done it but he meant no harm.
The policeman that chucked him in the meat waggon said he was a lovely bloke but was a bit drunk.
God forbid you ever do anything spontaneous Stour-boy....or should I call you Mr.Repressed??
Q/ What do you call Stour Boy in a Police Van?

A/ Officer.

View user profile

94 Re: Stevenage Away. on Mon Dec 09 2013, 02:09

Oh ok, so as long as we're all happy for the club to pay out of its own pocket for his actions that's ok then. As long as he had a nice time that's the main thing!

View user profile

95 Re: Stevenage Away. on Mon Dec 09 2013, 07:33

Aled wrote:Oh ok, so as long as we're all happy for the club to pay out of its own pocket for his actions that's ok then. As long as he had a nice time that's the main thing!
This country is turning more like America every bloody day.
He ran on a football pitch with a few beers on board.....good grief it's hardly the crime of the century.

Has it even been confirmed that Stour has to pay the fine or is that just Chinese whispers?

View user profile

96 Re: Stevenage Away. on Mon Dec 09 2013, 07:47

Whilst a fine for the pitch invader depends on the FA I am pretty sure we'll be sent the bill for the seats.

It's sad to think that some would give the return of a Stevenage seat by one's son/daughter a rapturorous reception, doubtless followed by a double helping of chips and a double bill of EastEnders.

I apologise if finding damaging football grounds unacceptable - especially if it gives us a bad name - how boring of me! :/

View user profile

97 Re: Stevenage Away. on Mon Dec 09 2013, 08:11

stour_boy wrote:Whilst a fine for the pitch invader depends on the FA I am pretty sure we'll be sent the bill for the seats.

It's sad to think that some would give the return of a Stevenage seat by one's son/daughter a rapturorous reception, doubtless followed by a double helping of chips and a double bill of EastEnders.

I apologise if finding damaging football grounds unacceptable - especially if it gives us a bad name - how boring of me! :/
Stourboy the drama queen.
Please find my quote where I've condoned the damaging of the football ground or ripping up the seats.
I'm a coronation street fan myself.

View user profile

98 Re: Stevenage Away. on Mon Dec 09 2013, 08:14

Tricky, I don't know if we get fined, what I'm saying is, he should pay it if there is. Aside from that, I couldn't give a rats ass about him running on the pitch. It's nowt to do with being PC, americanised, or stuffy etc, he decided to do something he knew full well was not allowed, fine, no biggy, I just disagree with it costing the club money.

Trying to pass it off as me or Stourboy being over PC, dull or whatever is a weak argument. It's the same sort of bull that gets used to justify a lot of people's actions. Don't do the crime if ya can't pay the fine me old Mucker. Perhaps if I were to run on the pitch on Tuesday the home crowd will guffaw heartily at their admission cost going towards paying my fine! Loves a bit of high jinx me lol

View user profile

99 Re: Stevenage Away. on Mon Dec 09 2013, 08:17

Did he get on where that 20 stone ginger steward was guarding by any chance lol

View user profile

100 Re: Stevenage Away. on Mon Dec 09 2013, 08:25

Stourboy, sweeping generalisations are what often weakens your argument chap.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum