Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Burnham away.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26 Re: Burnham away. on Tue Dec 03 2013, 22:46

Just got back to my hotel room, hope everyone going back to Stour has a safe journey home.

That made Hungerford away and Chippenham home look like first class performances.

Terribly below par for 90 minutes, and more worryingly we seemed to want it less against an incredibly limited side.

Very few individual performances to shout about but Brown was excellent when he came on, and Nathan had a good game despite getting frustrated and picking up a booking after a poor foul.

The ref was very weak and timid all night and turned down what looked like a decent penalty shout when Billingham appeared to receive a fair old clunk in the box.

Still, a result that will please their fans - both of them. A great turnout of Stour fans and per Ulster Jim's headcount we reckoned we had close to half the crowd of 77!

Anyway, it's not like we're playing a side four divisions above on Saturday. Oh, hang on...

View user profile

27 Re: Burnham away. on Tue Dec 03 2013, 23:38

Just got back from Burnham.

For once i'm speechless after watching that so i'll make this very brief.

PATHETIC!!!

View user profile

28 Re: Burnham away. on Tue Dec 03 2013, 23:57

After completing nearly 600 miles today, being out the house since 08.00 and now back just before midnight, I'm gonna keep it shirt and sweet, there's not much else we can after that. But that was utter shit.
The only positive I can take, is if Stevenage sent someone to watch tonight, he will have gone back a dam site none the wiser then what he left. Saturday is another game, so best drawing a line under tonight and moving onto the ext one.
1 final point, at half time I said "we can't play that badly second half" I was right, we were worse.

View user profile

29 Re: Burnham away. on Tue Dec 03 2013, 23:58

7.5 hours I will never get back.

As brief as I can be....

$hit ground.
$hit home support.
$hite atmosphere.
$hite pitch.
$hite officials.
$hite performance.

Hopefully will wake up in morning and realize it was all a dream.

Lets do it all again Saturday, but can we have none of the above please.

RedArmy.

View user profile

30 Re: Burnham away. on Wed Dec 04 2013, 00:01

Just got back and going off to bed so will comment at some stage tomorrow when I've given it some thought!

Btw, SL website gives the attendance as 123 which is the biggest joke of a joke night. Jim went round the ground during the first half and counted 77. And although he claimed not to have included the players and both benches, I'm far from convinced...

View user profile

31 Re: Burnham away. on Wed Dec 04 2013, 00:06

One other thing. The fact that we've got fans who care enough, and are still wound up enough to post their thoughts after a 7+ hours round trip when we are all knack erred and fit for nothing much speaks volumes about what SFC means to us.

In the cold light of day perhaps some of the harsher views may be tempered a little (then again, maybe not!). Either way, it was not a good night and there's no point pretending otherwise.

View user profile

32 Re: Burnham away. on Wed Dec 04 2013, 00:23

Attendance 123.

About the only thing thats put a smile on my face tonight.

70 if they were lucky.

That us is all.

Goodnight. Sad

View user profile

33 Re: Burnham away. on Wed Dec 04 2013, 08:54

Worst performance of the season when we need to be winning games like this if we have any promotion ambitions.

Don't think any player came away thinking that they had given a good performance.

Surprised to see Haynes play wide right after having such a good game at right back on Saturday. Surely it would have been better playing Drake in front of him instead of the other way round.

Still can't believe that Gary sends Roly on to play on the left. The player has no left foot so if you are going to use him play him on the right and give him a chance. Think George should have stayed on to give us extra width. Any player could have been subbed.

No one challenging for the second ball and defensively again we looked poor.

Again management on to officials again. Yes they make mistakes but we need to encourage the players a lot more. Officials won't change their minds.

Got to move on and prepare for Saturday and we need everyone behind the players.

View user profile

34 Re: Burnham away. on Wed Dec 04 2013, 09:33

Depressing night all round. Fully accept it was another long journey midweek, pitch was crap, ref was crap, players missing, no atmosphere etc but we have to do better than that. Without Sean we looked totally devoid of ideas. Looked like we went 3-4-3 second half when Brown came on, but the players looked as though they didn't know who was playing where or how to go about building an attack. We never looked like creating a chance, let alone scoring.

In a way, I'll be even more pissed off if we play better on Saturday. It's easy to get 'up' for the big games, but matches like last night will be the difference between mid table and the play offs.

Only four subs - one 45ish year old, one youth team kid (why not give him a chance late on last night?), and one winger who is so one footed but always plays on the other wing. I just don't get it. Stuck record, but we need more players, and of a good enough quality they can change a game rather than float around it.

View user profile

35 Re: Burnham away. on Wed Dec 04 2013, 09:43

Jack

Admin
Obviously wasn't there so cannot comment much only on what I've heard. But I text Nick last night saying the most worrying thing is you can kind of see it coming. Rubbish pitch, limited opposition, away, Tuesday night, it's everything needed for a Stour defeat. Our away record has never been the best as it is. But nights like last night are ones if we do want to get promoted we simply need to be picking up points in. No point turning up and putting 7 past Weymuff if we then follow it up with that! The squad isn't big enough as it is, and the bench isn't the quality that it should be. Now if we were in a financial state like Totton or Truro I could accept that. But we're not, we've got the money. Why are we not spending atleast some of it?

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

36 Re: Burnham away. on Wed Dec 04 2013, 17:44

Dean won the MOTM with 5 votes, Kayelden & Kyle received 3 each, Ben & Nathan 2 each & Jamie 1. Four people felt unable to vote for any of the players.
The wine was won by Pauline Wiley.

View user profile

37 Re: Burnham away. on Wed Dec 04 2013, 17:56

Brian Handy wrote:Dean won the MOTM with 5 votes, Kayelden & Kyle received 3 each, Ben & Nathan 2 each & Jamie 1. Four people felt unable to vote for any of the players.
The wine was won by Pauline Wiley.
I voted for Dean but it speaks volumes when "spoilt papers/refusal to vote" ( having paid £1 for the privelledge ) almost end's up getting the award for "man of the match" !!!

View user profile

38 Re: Burnham away. on Wed Dec 04 2013, 20:22

I was absolutely steaming when I drove away from Burnham last night. I've calmed down a bit now so maybe my thoughts might be a bit more rational!

The more I think about it (and I'm just talking about last night here) the more I come to the conclusion that our players mentally weren't right for last night. I think we'd got it into our minds that we had a couple of important players missing (Will and Sean in particular), the pitch was shocking - same for both teams, of course, but at least Burnham had the advantage of being used to it - the referee was phenominally weak from the off - again, same for both teams, but players will never see it like that - and then we conceded a daft early goal. Throw in the "one eye on Saturday" factor and I reckon they told themselves subconsciously at that point, we're going to get nothing here tonight.

I know we've had all the travelling recently, and not had a midweek off for over a month, and I know all the rest of it, but that to me is where the management have to step up. Perhaps last night was just a bridge too far for all those reasons (or excuses?) above but as Jack has pointed out, it is part of a pattern over midweek games recently - and you can include Hungerford in that too - where we simply have never looked like doing ourselves justice. Chippenham, where we had a helping hand or two, was maybe the exception that proves the rule.

But we can blame tiredness or the pitch or the referee as much as we like (and I'm sure we will, because that's what we do where referees are concerned - it was the same at the end of the match last night). Burnham are not a good side. They are effective in their own way, and they all know their jobs. How many of their players took three touches in their own half? The first or, at a push, second touch was a hoof. No mucking about, just get rid. And their front players were alive to that, so that whoever collected the hoof had another player to lay it off or flick in on to. Simple but effective. We never looked like we had an idea what our tactics were in comparison.

Si mentioned second balls. Now there will always be second balls that drop to the other team, but when the figure is something around 90% like it must have been last night then you've got to ask questions.

Team selection was mystifying to most of us watching - I know we had some missing but why we persist in playing Wurzel at full back is lost on me. Haynes at right midfield. Agbor brought on to play on the wrong wing as usual.

The same persistent, glaring deficiency within the squad and the set-up (not talking about individual players) that I am bored with going on about...

I intended this to be a post to try to put the other side of the coin in a small way, as far as reasons for last night were concerned. In the end it hasn't really turned out like that. Perhaps I still have a fair bit of calming down to do...

View user profile

39 Re: Burnham away. on Wed Dec 04 2013, 21:05

For me all the fans who says we are a strong squad than our last FA Cup run must have tinted glasses because we are no way near that level of performance.

View user profile

40 Support on Thu Dec 05 2013, 10:28

as a new forum user and long time supporter of the club i really am surprised at the negativity of some of the forum users. as always supporters are entitled to their opinion but i think this borders on stupidity on occassions.
What ammuses me even more is that the last few years have been incredible so if the team is that bad as some would suggest why do you support them, you could go down the road to the grove i expect they would would welcome your support.
Some of you need to grow up and get behind the team and gary and enjoy what you are getting at the moment you never know it may never happen again.

View user profile

41 Re: Burnham away. on Thu Dec 05 2013, 12:15

Jack

Admin
So because we've had relative succes we should all twiddle our thumbs and not be vocal when things are not going well? At the end of the day, people love praise. Gary & the team have had a hell of a lot of praise over the years. But that doesn't make them immune from just criticism. You can't have it both ways.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

42 Re: Burnham away. on Thu Dec 05 2013, 12:28

rasam wrote:as a new forum user and long time supporter of the club i really am surprised at the negativity of some of the forum users. as always supporters are entitled to their opinion but i think this borders on stupidity on occassions.
What ammuses me even more is that the last few years have been incredible so if the team is that bad as some would suggest why do you support them, you could go down the road to the grove i expect they would would welcome your support.
Some of you need to grow up and get behind the team and gary and enjoy what you are getting at the moment you never know it may never happen again.

Are you travelling to away games?

In the last three weeks i've done Cambridge,Biggleswade and Burnham the other night,the only one i missed was the North Ferriby replay,in truth i've done virtually all the away games and almost every pre season friendly.

The disparity between the home form and the away form of recent weeks is what worries me,the performances in those last three away games are way below what we're producing at home.

Another thing that has struck me is that we seem to be in big trouble if we give away the first goal in matches in the league.

When we score first we tend to overrun the opposition but i think i'm right in saying it's only Corby at home where we've come from a goal behind to win the game,this is a concern.

I was one of around 15 travellers chanting "Red Army" behind the goal in both halves the other night and giving individual support to every player within earshot,my commitment and support of my side is total in getting to games and trying to help them from the terraces when i'm there but if i want to make a point on here afterwards i will do,it does my head in when people have a go about "negativity" when a lot of us are giving our utmost.

View user profile

43 burnham on Thu Dec 05 2013, 12:34

Well done to you both for your passion and i certainly cant say that i go to any away games but try to get to as many home games.
just to say that there is a difference between just criticism and stupidity, however its all about knowing non-league football:D.
Have a great day on saturday as i will be out of the country on business so will be waiting with bated breath for the full time result.

View user profile

44 Re: Burnham away. on Thu Dec 05 2013, 12:35

I would also like to add...

That a forum is for discussing topics of all natures. Its to have debates be it positive or negative. I think this tends to be lost on some people.

Having been to Burnham on Tuesday, and having consumed what happened that night for a few days now. I can confirm that this is what 'hell' must be like, and I have no interest in ever going back there again! I for one had wished that my chauffeur had indeed got the wrong 'Burnham'. I could have paddled in the freezing, polluted sea, got hypothermia and frostbite and still had a more enjoyable evening.

Were Red Army Ay We. santa 

View user profile

45 Re: Burnham away. on Thu Dec 05 2013, 13:34

this reply might have gone elsewhere as i get used to this excellent forum site. i forgot to add that devils advocate you are passionate but i dont need to know how many away games you attend as it seems to me that you may have an insecurity about the true nature of your opinions about the team.
i think your support is fantastic by the sounds of it however i aint always sure about your crticism.
i love non league football but i am also a realist in the old adage you win some and you lose some.
once again have a good one saturday as i am on my way abroad as i type.

View user profile

46 Re: Burnham away. on Thu Dec 05 2013, 13:45

rasam wrote:i forgot to add that devils advocate you are passionate but i dont need to know how many away games you attend as it seems to me that you may have an insecurity about the true nature of your opinions about the team.

Do we really need to know that your on your way 'abroad'.

Do you have insecurities about leaving the British Isles? Laughing 

View user profile

47 Re: Burnham away. on Thu Dec 05 2013, 13:50

yes and thank you for your concerns cheers for now.Very Happy 

View user profile

48 Re: Burnham away. on Thu Dec 05 2013, 14:18

rasam wrote:this reply might have gone elsewhere as i get used to this excellent forum site. i forgot to add that devils advocate you are passionate but i dont need to know how many away games you attend as it seems to me that you may have an insecurity about the true nature of your opinions about the team.
i think your support is fantastic by the sounds of it however i aint always sure about your crticism.
i love non league football but i am also a realist in the old adage you win some and you lose some.
I have no "insecurities" regarding "my thought's on the team" and i don't really need your Phsyco analysis thanks all the same.

Best if you stick to commenting on football matters rather than dissecting individuals i think.

View user profile

49 Re: Burnham away. on Thu Dec 05 2013, 19:14

Rasam is a bigger wind up merchant than you Devil.
What an oaf.Very Happy 

View user profile

50 Re: Burnham away. on Thu Dec 05 2013, 21:05

Tricky Tree wrote:Rasam is a bigger wind up merchant than you Devil.
What an oaf.Very Happy 
Talking of "wind up merchants" and "oafs"……………how's my favourite Notts Forest supporting,single bloke?

Hope you make it to Stevenage mate?

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next