Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Weymouth - Saturday

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Weymouth - Saturday on Fri Nov 29 2013, 10:55

Can't predict this one. They had a good start (3 wins and 3 clean sheets from their first 3 games), but then only won 2 in 9, both against Totton. However, they've won their last two including 4-1 at home to Chippenham on Tuesday.

The team need our support tomorrow. It's vital we win our home games if we are to keep in touch with the top end of the table. Chesham losing on Tuesday was a bonus, but it was against Poole so they've gained a couple of points on us. Hemel had another big win, but I'm still not convinced they have what it takes against the better opponents.

There were some tired legs towards the end of Tuesday's game, which is completely understandable, so the lads need lifting. Let's make sure we're all right behind them.

View user profile

2 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Fri Nov 29 2013, 11:11

Team selection will be key.

I wonder who'll be right side of midfield?

View user profile

3 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Fri Nov 29 2013, 11:38

I would go:

Coleman
Francis - Bennett - Preston - Oliver
Agbor - Geddes - Broadhurst - Billingham
Richards - Benbow

View user profile

4 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Fri Nov 29 2013, 12:23

PhilC wrote:I would go:

Coleman
Agbor - Geddes - Broadhurst - Billingham
Richards - Benbow

I could go with that Phil or maybe put Richards alongside Geddes,leave Broadhurst out and stick with Rowe and Benbow.

As long as we try something different on the right i really don't care.

View user profile

5 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Fri Nov 29 2013, 12:36

One assumes Preston will come straight into the team, so I'd suggest an alternative...

Coleman
Agbor - Geddes - Richards - Broadhurst - Billingham
Benbow

View user profile

6 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Fri Nov 29 2013, 12:48

Reminds me of Morecambe and Wise!!

Would prefer 2 up front, at least to start, when we're at home. Thoughts Richards did well up front when I saw him at St Albans

View user profile

7 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Fri Nov 29 2013, 12:55

TRM wrote:One assumes Preston will come straight into the team, so I'd suggest an alternative...

Coleman
Agbor - Geddes - Richards - Broadhurst - Billingham
Benbow
I thought about that formation Rich but then could already hear the howls or derision from the "coffin dodgers" in the side stand about playing 4-5-1 at home.

If it was 4-4-1-1 with Billingham "floating" just behind Benbow like last season or a 4-3-3 when we attack with Billingham and Agbor/Richards getting up alongside Benbow then it might be quite exciting.

Managers being what they are,stubborn by nature i wouldn't be surprised to see 4-4-2 again with Roly sacrificed for the returning Leon.

A mention for Washbourne though,he has improved in his last few matches and is a natural left footer.

View user profile

8 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Fri Nov 29 2013, 13:42

Washbourne's a decent shout - he's done ok when he's been given a chance recently. And nobody's mentioned Fitz either.

If everybody is available, we have a few options as to formation, and how you fit the players into that.

View user profile

9 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Fri Nov 29 2013, 16:37

From the Express & Star...

Wurzel - unavailable
Fitz - late fitness test
Will - 50/50, tight calf

View user profile

10 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Fri Nov 29 2013, 16:54

I'll go

Coleman

Francis
Bennett
Preston
Oliver

Richards

Billingham
Geddes
Washbourne

Rowe
Benbow

Think Will sitting in front of the back four would add a lot, good defensive qualities, reads the game well and not afraid to step out with the ball. Hopefully he'll be fit.

Happy with either Francis or Haynes at right back, could even push Francis up into the midfield three, possibly instead of Washbourne, however George impressed me against NorthFerriby with a great cross for the equaliser, so think he deserves a chance.

Anyone know if Kayleden Brown is fit? Could do with a striker on the bench.

View user profile

11 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Sat Nov 30 2013, 12:43

TRM wrote:From the Express & Star...

Wurzel - unavailable
Fitz - late fitness test
Will - 50/50, tight calf
We have plenty of options. We can always turn to Fordy, the 'Ryan Giggs' of Stourbridge. Smile

View user profile

12 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Sat Nov 30 2013, 13:15

brockmoor wrote:
TRM wrote:From the Express & Star...

Wurzel - unavailable
Fitz - late fitness test
Will - 50/50, tight calf
We have plenty of options. We can always turn to Fordy, the 'Ryan Giggs' of Stourbridge. Smile
Except Fordy's never played "Hide the Sausage" with his brother's missus!

View user profile

13 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Sat Nov 30 2013, 13:36

I would if Will is fit stick with him at the back.

He will play there next week at Stevenage and since he is inexperienced in this position needs as much time there as possible.

View user profile

14 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Sat Nov 30 2013, 13:57

stoursi wrote:I would if Will is fit stick with him at the back.

He will play there next week at Stevenage and since he is inexperienced in this position needs as much time there as possible.
Playing him with an injury today or Tuesday is lunacy.

Give him "more experience" today so he's not fit for next Saturday!?

View user profile

15 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Sat Nov 30 2013, 14:23

Jack

Admin
Si never said that Devil. He said if he's fit. As it goes, Will isn't in the squad today.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

16 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Sat Nov 30 2013, 14:31

Jack wrote:Si never said that Devil. He said if he's fit. As it goes, Will isn't in the squad today.
Good.

View user profile

17 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Sat Nov 30 2013, 16:58

Jack

Admin
I'm sure that was fun?

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

18 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Sat Nov 30 2013, 17:03

It was!

View user profile

19 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Sat Nov 30 2013, 17:09

Weymouth were lucky to get nil……what a p!ss poor effort from them.

Much sharper finishing from us today as well.

Surprised to see Chrissy Knight back but he does offer a physical presence and something a bit different up front so i hope it works out for him with us this time around.

View user profile

20 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Sat Nov 30 2013, 17:50

That was ace. Hackett out!!

View user profile

21 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Sat Nov 30 2013, 18:00

Couldn't fault us at all today, though Weymouth did contribute in making it incredibly easy at times. Pleased that we took our chances clinically, especially in the first half. All seven goals were very well taken.

There was a brief spell at 2-0 where they controlled the play and had some good possession but apart from the one ball across the box that Kyle had to clear hurriedly at the far post, and a few shots that went well wide, they never looked like making anything count. Once Luke got the third it was just a case of how many. On that third goal, by the way, there were at least two Weymouth defenders standing appealing for offside direct from a goal-kick. Footballers in "not knowing the Laws of the Game" Shock!!!

The second half was a training exercise. One thing that struck me was that we committed more fouls tah Weymouth and, I think, picked up the only bookings of the game. Apart from a couple of "handbags" type incidents in the first half they never looked like getting a yellow card. You'd expect a team being hammered to be committing fouls and getting bookings for pure frustration but they seemed to just lie down and surrender.

I was wrong about 4-5-1 with hindsight. We took control of the midfield (apart from that brief passage I mentioned above) and that gave us the platform to get the ball up to Luke and Ryan in good positions, and to get players quickly up in support. I would still be tempted to play 4-5-1 against the better sides away from home, though.

Didn't take in much of Preston's performance. There wasn't a lot to trouble him, but he certainly didn't do anything wrong.

Hard to pick a MoM, but went for Luke in the end.

Roll on Tuesday night.

View user profile

22 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Sat Nov 30 2013, 18:04

As play your cards right was mentioned over the tannoy, I can say that was a "good game good game"!.

That was the best performance i've seen this season, although it has to be said Weymouth offered very little anywhere on the pitch, for a fairly big non league club they've been very poor in the 3 matches i've seen them, 19-2 to Stour so far! I suppose Coleman had the quietest game in as much as I can't recall him having to do anything, hard to judge Preston as again he wasn't really tested.

Benbow and Rowe both took their goals clinically and the last two where good also, thought Haynes was much improved on previous performances, I just hope we've saved a few goals for next Saturday (and Tuesday of course).

I thought they would end up having somebody sent off but it was Stour who ended up with 3 yellows none of which where bookings in my opinion, fouls yes.

View user profile

23 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Sat Nov 30 2013, 18:13

I thoroughly enjoyed that today! It was my first game for a good few weeks.

I'll be honest I expected more from Weymouth but they didn't offer much today.  The only thing that baffled me is how we ended up with 3 yellow cards as I didn't think they were deserved (Luke's maybe as his studs were up a bit!).

The whole team played exceptionally well I thought and it seems wrong to single anyone out but I was particularly impressed with Haynes today as I'm sure that is the first I've seen him play.

View user profile

24 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Sat Nov 30 2013, 18:16

I know Luke and Leon got booked - I thought both were fair enough. Who was the third?

View user profile

25 Re: Weymouth - Saturday on Sat Nov 30 2013, 19:37

See what happens when we play football how it should be played.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum