Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

1985-86 Lineup.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 1985-86 Lineup. on Mon Nov 25 2013, 14:15

I`ve just found an old Stourbridge Chronicle from 1986 with a team photo,thought i`d share it with you all.
The line up was;

Neil Morgan,Gary Matthews,Phil Nicholls,Vic Sharrard,Phil Fitzpatrick,Nigel Jewes,Kevin Tudor,Barry Williams,Andy Reece,Alan Webb(Trainer),
Bobby Peck,Willie Carr,Peter Rose,Richus White,Graham Newton(Manager),Paul Stringer,Richie Dams,Alan Forester.

Oddly,Algy appears to have not aged at all.......spooky!Shocked

View user profile

2 Re: 1985-86 Lineup. on Mon Nov 25 2013, 14:36

We suffered very few injuries that season. The sight of Algy running on with a bucket and sponge was enough to get most players back on their feet pronto!

View user profile

3 Re: 1985-86 Lineup. on Mon Nov 25 2013, 14:39

Paranoid Android wrote:I`ve just found an old Stourbridge Chronicle from 1986 with a team photo,thought i`d share it with you all.
The line up was;

Neil Morgan,Gary Matthews,Phil Nicholls,Vic Sharrard,Phil Fitzpatrick,Nigel Jewes,Kevin Tudor,Barry Williams,Andy Reece,Alan Webb(Trainer),
Bobby Peck,Willie Carr,Peter Rose,Richus White,Graham Newton(Manager),Paul Stringer,Richie Dams,Alan Forester.

In effect that was the Willenhall Town side playing in a Stourbridge shirt.

Once Gary Stevens signed we had the full set.

Gary Mathews was past his best at that point but was still a wonderful striker at our level,he scored the best goal i've ever witnessed at our level either for or against.

The ball was played into him on the corner of the area on the cricket side of the ground at The Shed End,Gary had his back to goal.

He used the pace of the ball to flick the ball up over the full back's head and ran around the other side of him before catching the ball on the volley and flashing an 18 yard volley across the keeper into the top far corner,very similar to a goal Frank Worthington scored on the clip below but from the corner of the area and with greater power.

View user profile

4 Re: 1985-86 Lineup. on Mon Nov 25 2013, 15:10

Think it was against Merthyr. Boxing Day 1986, possibly. A 12.30 kick off as they wouldn't agree to 11 am and we didn't want 3.00.

View user profile

5 Re: 1985-86 Lineup. on Mon Nov 25 2013, 15:45

TRM wrote:Think it was against Merthyr. Boxing Day 1986, possibly. A 12.30 kick off as they wouldn't agree to 11 am and we didn't want 3.00.
I had recollections of an FA Cup qualifying match for that goal but i may well be wrong,though we lost 1-2 and Gary got the goal but i'm probably way off the mark after 27 years………….like a Drew Canavan drive!

View user profile

6 Re: 1985-86 Lineup. on Mon Nov 25 2013, 16:58

That's pretty much the first season I can remember of watching Stour, although I had been dragged along for 9 years prior to that. Some great names there, but worryingly the first thing that came to my mind was the memory of spending 2 hours on Rugby station with TRM whilst my dad and sister visited Bobby Peck in Rugby hospital with a broken leg, I think after the FA Cup 4th qualifying round replay.

View user profile

7 Re: 1985-86 Lineup. on Mon Nov 25 2013, 20:06

Devil's Advocate wrote:
Paranoid Android wrote:I`ve just found an old Stourbridge Chronicle from 1986 with a team photo,thought i`d share it with you all.
The line up was;

In effect that was the Willenhall Town side playing in a Stourbridge shirt.

Once Gary Stevens signed we had the full set.

Gary Mathews was past his best at that point but was still a wonderful striker at our level,he scored the best goal i've ever witnessed at our level either for or against.

The ball was played into him on the corner of the area on the cricket side of the ground at The Shed End,Gary had his back to goal.

He used the pace of the ball to flick the ball up over the full back's head and ran around the other side of him before catching the ball on the volley and flashing an 18 yard volley across the keeper into the top far corner,very similar to a goal Frank Worthington scored on the clip below but from the corner of the area and with greater power.
Five of those players played for Willenhall in the 1981 FA Vase Final - Matthews, Peck, White, Stringer and Dams. Graham Newton managed that Willenhall team and brought them to Stour, as DA says. Brian Fox also played for Willenhall that day and later joined us - it may not have been until after that photo was taken.

Vic Sharrard also played for Willenhall that season but was second-choice keeper. Morgan, Forrester, Carr and Nicholls also came via Willenhall, as did Paul Knox and Garry Stevens a bit later on.

View user profile

8 Re: 1985-86 Lineup. on Tue Nov 26 2013, 00:31

TRM wrote:We suffered very few injuries that season. The sight of Algy running on with a bucket and sponge was enough to get most players back on their feet pronto!
I've got this vision of Algy running on to treat an injured player, dressed in a suit and tie.

Last edited by dave w on Tue Nov 26 2013, 12:41; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

9 Re: 1985-86 Lineup. on Tue Nov 26 2013, 08:27

Very Happy 
dave w wrote:
TRM wrote:We suffered very few injuries that season. The sight of Algy running on with a bucket and sponge was enough to get most players back on their feet pronto!
I've got this vision of Algy running on to treat an injured player dressed in a suit and tie.
Why would an injured player be wearing a suit and tie?

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum