Stevenage again!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

51 Re: Stevenage again! on Sun Nov 10 2013, 19:59

See you there Danty!

View user profile

52 Re: Stevenage again! on Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:05

DantySFC wrote:
Tricky Tree wrote:Let them get on with it.
If they want to bitch let them bitch.
I'm sure that no matter what the outcome we will do ourselves proud.
Come on Stour.
I think if you read the thread through on Borochat you will also see that whilst we are pleased with a home tie, there is a lot of tongue in cheek comments as normally we are the small underdog and only too familier with the big boys of L1 rolling out the usual non-league, tinpot, big strong physical hoofball type comments. There are some balanced views, not just what's reported in this thread.

I only have fond memories of my trip to Stourbridge, and if you win or draw you will have deserved and if we win likewise. Some of the arrogance displayed is very much a FACup cliche comments.

We are in good form at the moment having started the season shockingly so I do expect a good test. The way end is great for generating atmosphere so if you do bring 800/1000 you will be heard.
Thirty odd of us made ourselves heard at Chippenham so I'm fairly confident that nearly a grand of us should be heard.Very Happy 
Very Happy 

View user profile

53 Re: Stevenage again! on Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:18

Has to be said, they appear to be a fantastic example of what a non league club can achieve. I know nothing about them really, but to get as far as they have is pretty remarkable.

I also had the pleasure of seeing them beat Kiddy in the trophy final a few years back after trailing 2-0 as I recall so they're ok in my book lol

View user profile

54 Re: Stevenage again! on Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:49

sirsmilerIII wrote:Plus it will be another new ground for everyone to add to their list,
Almost everyone!

View user profile

55 Re: Stevenage again! on Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:51

We were travelling back this afternoon and were shocked, nay appalled, nay disgusted, to find that the draw was not live on the radio! I had to pull up between Leek and Stone to watch it "live" on Twitter!

I have to say I had a feeling we'd get one of the teams we'd played before and when Walsall, Plymouth and Stevenage didn't come out for ages it seemed inevitable. Lost track of how many ties had been drawn so didn't realise until afterwards that we were the last two balls out. Should have seen it coming really - the double irony is it would have been a cracking tie for Biggleswade with only about 15-20 miles between them and Stevenage.

I'm looking forward to it. I know it's the same as two years ago but this time we're away which puts a completely different complexion on it. 99 times out of 100 (maybe 100 times out of 100) they will beat us - what have we got to lose? We are a better team than 2 years ago and are in good from right now, albeit the match is four weeks away. All we can do, on and off the pitch, is go out and give it some welly! Just enjoy the day with no expectations.

Cannot be doing with all the tit-for-tat insults - if that's how it's going to be it'll be a long four weeks. They are a League One side, whatever they were a few years ago. They deserve respect, but so do we. I'm sure they'll watch us a couple of times (prob at Cambridge on Wednesday for starters, and at Biggleswade too). And we'll watch them as well.

Right now, we should just forget this game for three weeks at least. We've got Cambridge on Wednesday night and that's far more important right now. Two years ago there were only three weeks between the 1st and 2nd rounds and we had the Plymouth replay in between, plus the Chester game. It all came thick and fast and mentally we suffered for it in the end. The best thing the whole club can do now is forget the Cup altogether for a while.

View user profile

56 Re: Stevenage again! on Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:59

I think it's fair to say we probably won't be the live TV game! (We'll have to save that for the replay again!)

Tamworth v Bristol City looks nailed on. Bury or Cambridge Utd v Sheffield United should be another. No other obvious choices really, maybe Hartlepool v Coventry if they're not against showing the latter two rounds running.

View user profile

57 Re: Stevenage again! on Sun Nov 10 2013, 21:03

My own memory of Stevenage is horrible football,a charmless arrogant twat of a manager and an absolutely pitiful away following.

I admire the way they've fought their way up from our level to where they are now though.

It's up to us to deal with their physical side.

View user profile

58 Re: Stevenage again! on Sun Nov 10 2013, 21:05

Love this tweet last night from Sam Reed, who I assume played up front yesterday (he was their no.9 according to the line-up on their website)...

"Just called up the Stourbridge centre back and asked him if I can come out of his pocket and pull my pants up so I can go out tonight."

EDIT - sorry, should be on the Biggleswade match thread.

View user profile

59 Re: Stevenage again! on Sun Nov 10 2013, 21:22

TRM wrote:We were travelling back this afternoon and were shocked, nay appalled, nay disgusted, to find that the draw was not live on the radio! I had to pull up between Leek and Stone to watch it "live" on Twitter!
That's interesting. I heard the first round draw on 5 Live and they said they'd be broadcasting every draw from then on.

Couldn't listen to it on the way back from Neath though as I was on the train and didn't have access to an AM radio!

View user profile

60 Re: Stevenage again! on Sun Nov 10 2013, 21:42

The 4th qualifying round draw was on Talksport but I too was out and was annoyed that it wasn't on radio, tried to watch it on FA tv, although there was a slight delay and received texts from TRM amongst others with the news beforehand.

The disappointing things from my point of view are, it's away thus reducing our chances of progressing, it's the same opposition as 2 years ago, and given their 'style' if you will, I always feel we play better against sides that give us chance to play. In that respect, I would fancy our chances more at Wolves etc than Stevenage.

That's not meant as any disrespect to them, they work hard and close you down quickly, can't fault that.

View user profile

61 Re: Stevenage again! on Mon Nov 11 2013, 10:07

Gutted!  With 6 balls left in the bag Stevenage away was worst case scenario,same as everyone else looked on as the draw unfolded with the likes of Sheff Utd,Preston,Wolves,Kiddy,Wrexham all drawn out then down to the last 6 Leyton Orient yes,Walsall yes,Tamworth yes or let Stevenage go there and we'll have Bristol City,alas not to be, horrible draw. Remember talking to the dad of one of the players who played against them last time straight after the game,he said his lad was totally knackered and likened it to playing against a rugby team,a big strong physical team.  Can't knock them though it has got them into league one and two draws in the FA Cup against Newcastle and Spurs.  Have been reading their forum also, some really disrespectful stuff on there like "when is the draw for Round 3",personally I am happy to take that at face value and our Stevenage guest on here  DantySFC sounds more like the sort of Stevenage fan I encountered on the day of the game,I was working one of the away turnstiles that day and found their fans to be respectful,complimentary and friendly towards us,one lad in particular on entering the ground looked around briefly shook his head and said "proper football and ground" and that was the general feel I got from their fans,I also did Chester the following week in the Trophy and in comparison they were obnoxious and did nothing but slag our ground and facilities off.  A mammoth task awaits us but with 800 + fans behind us and all the pressure on our hosts let's just go and enjoy it and who knows!!

View user profile

62 Re: Stevenage again! on Mon Nov 11 2013, 10:32

Good article stour lion,much as i hate the premier league i do watch a few games here and there and watched most of yesterdays game between Sunderland and man city,man city battered them but held out for the win,maybe just maybe that could be us

View user profile

63 Re: Stevenage again! on Mon Nov 11 2013, 11:05

Dave the Glassboy wrote:
sirsmilerIII wrote:Plus it will be another new ground for everyone to add to their list,
Almost everyone!
I meant a new ground to see Stour play at, if you've been there for another game that's your problem Wink 

64 Re: Stevenage again! on Mon Nov 11 2013, 12:34

Bit of an anti climax. A little disappointed with the draw. Although a friend of mine follows Stevenage so a chance to catch up with him.
2 seasons a go their anti-football approach killed the game. I am hoping they may be a little more open playing at home.
Its a game we go into with nothing to lose. I think playing away may help us. When we played at home 2 seasons ago, i think we caught stage freight a little, and we were expected to up the ante and take the game to them. This time, the pressure is on them. They are the home team and are playing a team 4 steps below.
I respect Stevenage but dont fear them. Expecting a tough game and anything we do get is a huge bonus. I cant see us taking 1000. I'd expect about 600. Which is still a superb effort. Plymouth was an away game, i think alot of us went to expecting something magical to happen, with their situation and also i dodnt think any of the EPL clubs were playing, i am sure it was Mickey Mouse weekend for football?
Lets hope the boys go there give a great account of themselves and the fans can also have a good day out.
COYG

View user profile

65 Re: Stevenage again! on Mon Nov 11 2013, 16:23

Stourbridge Lion wrote:Gutted!  With 6 balls left in the bag Stevenage away was worst case scenario,
Personally I'd have thought Tamworth away would have been the worst case scenario in that situation. I was glad to avoid that one.

Albeit that at that point, apart from Tamworth I couldn't remember who else was in the draw so Stevenage came as something of a surprise.

View user profile

66 Re: Stevenage again! on Mon Nov 11 2013, 20:22

I was very disappointed initially, but as the lowest ranked side left to have played (shortwood) anybody was going to be tough and I didn't fancy Tamworth!

A good day out in prospect, it this the second round of the cup after all, when might we be here again?. I don't expect much but there is always hope. After last time, getting on the score sheet would be great and anything more than that, fantastic. I agree playing away might be better than home in this instance. But theres plenty of other important games before this, best to concentrate on one at a time.

When's the coach booking likely to start?

View user profile

67 Re: Stevenage again! on Mon Nov 11 2013, 22:11

Shortwood lost 0-4 at home to Port Vale tonight (although two of the goals came in the 89th and 90th minutes), which officially now leaves us as the lowest ranked team left in the competition.

There were 737 entries in this season's FA Cup, of which 20 were from the Premier League, 72 from the Football League and 68 from the three Divisions of the Conference.

From below the Conference there were 577 entries.

From those 577, there is 1 left.

I officially couldn't care less who we got in the draw.

View user profile

68 Re: Stevenage again! on Mon Nov 11 2013, 22:43

Jack

Admin
Yep. There's a lot we should be proud of. We'll have bumps along the way, but our club is most definitely moving upwards.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

69 Re: Stevenage again! on Fri Nov 15 2013, 15:44

Formal announcement about prices, tickets and travel arrangements will be made next Tuesday, 19th November.

View user profile

70 Re: Stevenage again! on Fri Nov 15 2013, 15:56

When do tickets go on sale to loyal fans who have attended every FA cup 1st and 2nd round match since 2008!

View user profile

71 Re: Stevenage again! on Fri Nov 15 2013, 15:59

Aled wrote:When do tickets go on sale to loyal fans who have attended every FA cup 1st and 2nd round match since 2008!

LOL.

I can see you're sweating mate :-)

I think that only us that attended the Welsh Cup Final in 74 should get a ticket for the next round!

View user profile

72 Re: Stevenage again! on Fri Nov 15 2013, 16:11

Does Stevenage's ground hold that many?

View user profile

73 Re: Stevenage again! on Fri Nov 15 2013, 16:14

The "away" end certainly doesn't!

View user profile

74 Re: Stevenage again! on Fri Nov 15 2013, 16:18

In all seriousness I believe the visitors' end holds about 1,400 (based on what others have posted on here, and assuming they've looked it up properly!)

The only reason I can see for it not being "pay on the day" is if Stevenage want to be absolutely certain they don't need to give us MORE than 1,400.

And I really can't see that being the case, much as I'd love to say otherwise.

Although I suppose they might want to know in advance how many stewards they'll need, what stock to order for the tea bars, etc.

View user profile

75 Re: Stevenage again! on Fri Nov 15 2013, 16:20

TRM wrote:In all seriousness I believe the visitors' end holds about 1,400 (based on what others have posted on here, and assuming they've looked it up properly!)

The only reason I can see for it not being "pay on the day" is if Stevenage want to be absolutely certain they don't need to give us MORE than 1,400.

And I really can't see that being the case, much as I'd love to say otherwise.

Although I suppose they might want to know in advance how many stewards they'll need, what stock to order for the tea bars, etc.

The simplest thing that Stevenage could do would be to ring SirSmiler and ask him to predict the number of Stour fan's attending and then they just multiply that figure by 3.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum