Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys


You are not connected. Please login or register

Away followings

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51 Re: Away followings on Thu Oct 24 2013, 22:45

Yep Bennett and Rowe.

One of their players injured themselves clearing a cross for the corner, think they twisted their ankle badly as they cleared it or something. No other player was near him he just injured himself clearing it.

The report managed to say Linden Dovey gave him a 'right old clunk' or similar causing his injury, and went onto say that Stour fans behind the goal gave him a load of abuse whereas from memory we clapped him off and he was clearly injured. Bennett scored from the resulting corner just to rub salt in the wound!

Marcus Palmer then scored a tap in to equalise for them and they described him as 'athletically steering the ball home' or some such nonsense.

TRM you surprise me, I would have thought you would have agreed that clubs should always be professional in their official 'output', whether that be Twitter, their website or their programme & match reports. I would be frankly astonished if our match reports referred to fans' banter or criticised opposition players or the referee too much. That's for the fans to say. For a club to do that is just unprofessional.

View user profile

52 Re: Away followings on Thu Oct 24 2013, 22:52

Jack wrote:They milked a challenge from one of our lads didn't they?
No, to be fair. One of their players stretched at the near post to put a cross behind for a corner, and did his hamstring in the process. Linden was about three or four yards away from him when it happened. The match report, however, described Linden as giving the defender "a fair old clunk" when he did nothing of the sort. To be fair as I can be, I think the bloke who wrote the report was probably sitting in the stand and didn't have a very good view. He should have checked his facts though, and it took months before he changed the report on their website, even after I created a stink about it on their forum.

We won 2-1 down there in the first midweek game of the season two years on the trot, I think. This was the first game when Nathan and Ryan scored. The second time it was Ryan and Linden, who netted the winner with more than a hint of his arm!

View user profile

53 Re: Away followings on Thu Oct 24 2013, 23:30

TRM wrote:
Jack wrote:They milked a challenge from one of our lads didn't they?
No, to be fair. One of their players stretched at the near post to put a cross behind for a corner, and did his hamstring in the process. Linden was about three or four yards away from him when it happened. The match report, however, described Linden as giving the defender "a fair old clunk" when he did nothing of the sort. To be fair as I can be, I think the bloke who wrote the report was probably sitting in the stand and didn't have a very good view. He should have checked his facts though, and it took months before he changed the report on their website, even  after I created a stink about it on their forum.

We won 2-1 down there in the first midweek game of the season two years on the trot, I think. This was the first game when Nathan and Ryan scored. The second time it was Ryan and Linden, who netted the winner with more than a hint of his arm!
It was the Nathan and Rowe match where i ended up being hassled by two Cirencester cretins.


I was too busy worrying about my own health to notice all the other goings on.


I'm feeling miffed now at not having been so involved with our travelling band in those days and having missed out that night.

Mind you,the big lad who wears the tights and ballet shoes asked me if i "regularly travelled" and i think that ensured i kept my distance for a while longer.............then i found out he was big mates with Brockmoor :-0

View user profile

54 Re: Away followings on Thu Oct 24 2013, 23:59

stour_boy wrote:TRM you surprise me, I would have thought you would have agreed that clubs should always be professional in their official 'output', whether that be Twitter, their website or their programme & match reports. I would be frankly astonished if our match reports referred to fans' banter or criticised opposition players or the referee too much. That's for the fans to say. For a club to do that is just unprofessional.
How have you managed to surmise what I do or don't think from my previous post, which was...

"I was waiting for him to mention that match report. I wasn't disappointed..."?

I was merely reflecting my view that, similar to your fixation with any club north of Stafford and the M6, you have an obsession with regurgitating this whole match report thing every time Cirencester is mentioned.

View user profile

55 Re: Away followings on Fri Oct 25 2013, 07:43

Jack

avatar
Admin
I'm on the verge of banning the word M6. What has that poor motorway ever done to you?!

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

56 Re: Away followings on Fri Oct 25 2013, 09:21

TRM wrote:
stour_boy wrote:TRM you surprise me, I would have thought you would have agreed that clubs should always be professional in their official 'output', whether that be Twitter, their website or their programme & match reports. I would be frankly astonished if our match reports referred to fans' banter or criticised opposition players or the referee too much. That's for the fans to say. For a club to do that is just unprofessional.
How have you managed to surmise what I do or don't think from my previous post, which was...

"I was waiting for him to mention that match report. I wasn't disappointed..."?

I was merely reflecting my view that, similar to your fixation with any club north of Stafford and the M6, you have an obsession with regurgitating this whole match report thing every time Cirencester is mentioned.
You're one to talk, you were the one who originally "created a stink" about the match report, in your own words!

As I think I mentioned at the time they were a total pub team (aka Romulus), just unprofessional in all their dealings. The fact that various supporters can have issues with their people in successive games down there despite them not being well supported speaks volumes. Why you love to spring to their defence (as you did at the time if I recall) is bizarre.

Think the M6 thing has been covered now; some of you lot really ought to be spin doctors the way you drag out one innocuous comment about my personal experiences of travelling to clubs North and South of us, and which I prefer!

View user profile

57 Re: Away followings on Fri Oct 25 2013, 09:30

Comment singular or comments plural?

View user profile

58 Re: Away followings on Fri Oct 25 2013, 09:39

stour_boy wrote:
TRM wrote:
stour_boy wrote:TRM you surprise me, I would have thought you would have agreed that clubs should always be professional in their official 'output', whether that be Twitter, their website or their programme & match reports. I would be frankly astonished if our match reports referred to fans' banter or criticised opposition players or the referee too much. That's for the fans to say. For a club to do that is just unprofessional.
How have you managed to surmise what I do or don't think from my previous post, which was...

"I was waiting for him to mention that match report. I wasn't disappointed..."?

I was merely reflecting my view that, similar to your fixation with any club north of Stafford and the M6, you have an obsession with regurgitating this whole match report thing every time Cirencester is mentioned.
You're one to talk, you were the one who originally "created a stink" about the match report, in your own words!

As I think I mentioned at the time they were a total pub team (aka Romulus), just unprofessional in all their dealings. The fact that various supporters can have issues with their people in successive games down there despite them not being well supported speaks volumes. Why you love to spring to their defence (as you did at the time if I recall) is bizarre.

Think the M6 thing has been covered now; some of you lot really ought to be spin doctors the way you drag out one innocuous comment about my personal experiences of travelling to clubs North and South of us, and which I prefer!
Me "creating a stink" surely proves your original point wrong, and also suggests that I have not defended them. What I did do, if I recall correctly, was point out that I would expect a match report on Cirencester's website to be "slanted" (different from biased) in their favour. So if they want to describe a shot bundled over the line as "athletically steered home" (or whatever it was) then, even if I think it's a bit of a flowery description, I really don't have an issue with it. It's what you get in reports on club websites.

That's not the same as the comments about Linden (which were competely unjustified) or our supporters (which, I believe, were partially unjustified, but not totally).

Since somebody shut down the forum that was operating at that time in a fit of pique I am unable to go back and find quotes to prove it one way or another.

View user profile

59 Re: Away followings on Fri Oct 25 2013, 09:48

TRM wrote:Me "creating a stink" surely proves your original point wrong, and also suggests that I have not defended them. What I did do, if I recall correctly, was point out that I would expect a match report on Cirencester's website to be "slanted" (different from biased) in their favour. So if they want to describe a shot bundled over the line as "athletically steered home" (or whatever it was) then, even if I think it's a bit of a flowery description, I really don't have an issue with it. It's what you get in reports on club websites.
You shouldn't get that in my opinion. But maybe I think that because ours are of very high quality and I expect too much as a consequence from opponents ones.

That's not the same as the comments about Linden (which were competely unjustified) or our supporters (which, I believe, were partially unjustified, but not totally).
Again, in my view I don't think official match reports should comment on alleged banter from supporters. How in your view was it justified? You might have a better memory but if I recall correctly we clapped their injured player off rather than barrack him as was claimed.

Since somebody shut down the forum that was operating at that time in a fit of pique I am unable to go back and find quotes to prove it one way or another.
Nice needle, but I don't know if you're aware of the real reasons for me closing it down but I don't want to drag it all up again. If you genuinely aren't aware then I can tell you sometime!

View user profile

60 Re: Away followings on Fri Oct 25 2013, 09:56

stour_boy wrote:
That's not the same as the comments about Linden (which were competely unjustified) or our supporters (which, I believe, were partially unjustified, but not totally).
Again, in my view I don't think official match reports should comment on alleged banter from supporters. How in your view was it justified? You might have a better memory but if I recall correctly we clapped their injured player off rather than barrack him as was claimed.
I agree that the comments about our supporters should not have been on their match report. I also agree that if they were made in direct relation to our supporters' response to the injury (genuinely can't remember whether they were or not) then that was factually incorrect, as you say.

However, our supporters were not whiter than white that night. That is what I meant.

View user profile

61 Re: Away followings on Fri Oct 25 2013, 10:40

TRM wrote:
stour_boy wrote:
That's not the same as the comments about Linden (which were competely unjustified) or our supporters (which, I believe, were partially unjustified, but not totally).
Again, in my view I don't think official match reports should comment on alleged banter from supporters. How in your view was it justified? You might have a better memory but if I recall correctly we clapped their injured player off rather than barrack him as was claimed.
I agree that the comments about our supporters should not have been on their match report. I also agree that if they were made in direct relation to our supporters' response to the injury (genuinely can't remember whether they were or not) then that was factually incorrect, as you say.

However, our supporters were not whiter than white that night. That is what I meant.

The abuse from our fans that night did indeed centre around their player's injury and the fact that it did appear that the injured player's team mates were trying to 'frame' Linden. The player was in no way clapped off! The abuse was disgusting and I for one will hold my hand up and admit to being amongst it (TRM did warn me/us at the time). What didn't help was the injured player gesturing towards us. As is often the case when a player reacts to a crowd,this just makes any potential abuse even worse.

View user profile

62 Re: Away followings on Fri Oct 25 2013, 10:49

Fair play, Nathan. That's a very honest response.

To be honest I genuinely didn't remember abuse from our supporters around that specific incident. I do remember that it was our supporters initially being the ones drawing attention to the seriousness ofthe injury, as nobody else seemed to have realised. Now that I come to think of it, I believe some of their players and supporters misconstrued that and thought we were having a go. So they had a go back and some of our lads were a bit too vociferous in telling them what had actually gone on.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Similar topics

-

» Away followings

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum