Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rob Taylor

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Rob Taylor on Fri Oct 18 2013, 12:09

Little did I know that mentioning an FA Cup tie with Kidsgrove would have brought all these memories flooding back of Rob Taylor.

DA's post on another thread on here got me thinking that this subject deserves its own thread.

To cap that thought,I received a message this morning from our very own Sir Gary Hackett. I have permission to quote him as follows:

"Devil,you were right about Rob Taylor,and yes,have had to eat humble pie with Kev,your brother! I met him after the Evesham game at the Belbroughton beer festival! Up until his injury,he had the potential to be the best striker I have managed,and a top lad to boot!"

Praise indeed.

View user profile

2 Re: Rob Taylor on Fri Oct 18 2013, 12:53

Nathan Gulliver wrote:Little did I know that mentioning an FA Cup tie with Kidsgrove would have brought all these memories flooding back of Rob Taylor.

DA's post on another thread on here got me thinking that this subject deserves its own thread.

To cap that thought,I received a message this morning from our very own Sir Gary Hackett. I have permission to quote him as follows:

"Devil,you were right about Rob Taylor,and yes,have had to eat humble pie with Kev,your brother! I met him after the Evesham game at the Belbroughton beer festival! Up until his injury,he had the potential to be the best striker I have managed,and a top lad to boot!"

Praise indeed.
Rob scored some great goals for me on a Sunday.

In one game the ball was in mid air in the centre circle in our half of the pitch,Rob took it on his forehead and then advanced 10 yards with it still glued to his head as he ran through their entire defensive line.

Once clear of the back four he nodded it down in front of himself and strode towards their penalty area.....i expected him to round their keeper and tap it in....i was mistaken!

30 yards from goal Rob got bored,he didn't much like running to be honest and so much to my initial anger and frustration he absolutely tw@tted the ball on the half volley from 30-35 yards out.

This was madness,he was well clear of the defenders and one on one with their keeper,i couldn't believe what he was doing!

The ball flew like an arrow right up into the angle of post and crossbar leaving the keeper grasping at thin air.

I cuffed him round the ear as we came off at full time and asked him what he'd been playing at.............he just shrugged and looked sheepish.

He did like my description of his effort though,i described him as "just having dismissed the ball from his presence".

I was at Amblecote the night we beat Burton 5-1 in the Senior Cup match,he "nutmegged" Nigel Clough which brought him great joy.

Cloughie told him that after this humbling event he'd be hanging up his boot's for good!!

View user profile

3 Re: Rob Taylor on Fri Oct 18 2013, 13:48

Nathan,

Why didnt you keep Garys comments to yourself? We will never hear the bloody end of this now!

Sad

View user profile

4 Re: Rob Taylor on Fri Oct 18 2013, 14:10

brockmoor wrote:Nathan,

Why didnt you keep Garys comments to yourself? We will never hear the bloody end of this now!

Sad
Mmmm,I did fear that Brockmoor. I was hoping others might have fond memories of Rob too. By all accounts,it sounds like Devil's Advocate is fully responsible for turning Rob Taylor into the great striker that he was! Have you though of approaching Gary to see if there are any coaching positions available DA? Maybe you could work alongside cliffy?!

View user profile

5 Re: Rob Taylor on Fri Oct 18 2013, 14:13

I would pay bloody good money to see that Smile

View user profile

6 Re: Rob Taylor on Fri Oct 18 2013, 14:20

Cliffy does work coaching???!!!!
I presumed he was there to berate the officials....
I'm gobsmacked....truly gobsmacked.Laughing 

View user profile

7 Re: Rob Taylor on Fri Oct 18 2013, 14:30

Nathan Gulliver wrote:
brockmoor wrote:Nathan,

Sad
Mmmm,I did fear that Brockmoor. I was hoping others might have fond memories of Rob too. By all accounts,it sounds like Devil's Advocate is fully responsible for turning Rob Taylor into the great striker that he was! Have you though of approaching Gary to see if there are any coaching positions available DA? Maybe you could work alongside cliffy?!

I refuse to wear such shoddy looking clothing as our coaching staff.

They should ask Brockmoor though,clearly the quality of the management's clothing and Dave King's printing on it won't breach Brock's standard's.

View user profile

8 Re: Rob Taylor on Fri Oct 18 2013, 14:44

'Ark' at Dick Emery! Wink

View user profile

9 Re: Rob Taylor on Fri Oct 18 2013, 14:59

I don't think any of us have much to shout about in the fashion department! I for one do virtually all my clothes shopping in charity shops and I'm proud to say so. I draw a line at my pants though!

View user profile

10 Re: Rob Taylor on Fri Oct 18 2013, 15:07

Nathan Gulliver wrote:I don't think any of us have much to shout about in the fashion department! I for one do virtually all my clothes shopping in charity shops and I'm proud to say so. I draw a line at my pants though!

You wear pants ffs!!!!?

For the amount of time you actually spend in them that appears to be a mighty extravagance for a bloke in your financial position at present!?

View user profile

11 Re: Rob Taylor on Fri Oct 18 2013, 17:04

Isn't it amazing, a thread that was started this morning about Rot Taylor develops within a couple of hours to a conversation about my pants.

View user profile

12 Re: Rob Taylor on Sat Oct 19 2013, 11:57

Can remember the goal he scored in front of the shed when we beat Malvern 2-1 in February 2006. Great goal, and 1 of the best I've seen down the WM.and it shut that dickhead with the bell up. "Come on malveeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn"

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum