Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys


You are not connected. Please login or register

Workington

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 8]

51 Re: Workington on Tue Oct 22 2013, 20:36

You'll be lucky to get a reasonable second hand coach for under £20k Wink

View user profile

52 Re: Workington on Tue Oct 22 2013, 20:44

brockmoor wrote:You'll be lucky to get a reasonable second hand coach for under £20k Wink

You would still expect to get a good few years use out of a decent 2nd hand coach. If we are spending at least £12,500 a season,even with fuel costs,the coach would pay for itself if we kept it for 3 years. With Andy P having haulage business,we should been seen ok for repairs and services,etc.

View user profile

53 Re: Workington on Tue Oct 22 2013, 20:54

Nathan Gulliver wrote:
brockmoor wrote:You'll be lucky to get a reasonable second hand coach for under £20k Wink
You would still expect to get a good few years use out of a decent 2nd hand coach. If we are spending at least £12,500 a season,even with fuel costs,the coach would pay for itself if we kept it for 3 years. With Andy P having haulage business,we should been seen ok for repairs and services,etc.
Although i'm a fan of doing this Nath the maths isn't quite as simple as you suggest because you have to factor in the driver's wages and the servicing/insurance costs,just because Andy P own's the haulage company it's not fair to expect him to pick up the tab for running the thing.

I look upon these things as long term projects and if over a period of of a decade it can cause a massive saving on the one hand but also become an earner in other ways because not only can seats be sold to away fan's and possibly rented out to other clubs on days when we don't need it.

I gather we have £100k in the bank in case we get promoted,that money is earning "diddley squat" in the bank,personally i'd be using it in other ways to create more money.

View user profile

54 Re: Workington on Tue Oct 22 2013, 21:57

Devil's Advocate wrote:

I gather we have £100k in the bank in case we get promoted,that money is earning "diddley squat" in the bank,personally i'd be using it in other ways to create more money.

Another difficult one. If only we knew exactly where we stood with the council over the ground situation we would be in a clearer position as to where we would be better off investing the money put aside for ground developments.

View user profile

55 Re: Workington on Wed Oct 23 2013, 08:24

Guest


Guest
[/quote]Once your ban is completed Nath we could put you forward as driver,"Confession's of a bus driver" would then make us a fortune in additional sales.

Women like a man in uniform.[/quote]
With the people that would be on the coach it sounds more like a "Carry On" film to me lol! 

56 Re: Workington on Wed Oct 23 2013, 10:52

Must confess I'm a bit worried about their 0-3 defeat at Harrogate last night. Reading their forum there is a lot of disgruntlement and plenty of calls for the manager's head.

If there was to be a change of management this week, we all know how often teams respond by going out and performing for the new boss or the caretaker.

View user profile

57 Re: Workington on Wed Oct 23 2013, 10:56

But sure i read as well, they rested a few players?

View user profile

58 Re: Workington on Wed Oct 23 2013, 20:06

baz wrote:But sure i read as well, they rested a few players?
Can't be sure, but from their forum it seems most of their supporters see it as a case of the manager making unnecessary and unfathomable changes after a good draw at home to the League leaders.

Be that as it may, a reminder of the two blogs following the Cup through the rounds and which will "converge" on Saturday.

Following us (having previously been following Curzon Ashton - the Giant Killing Adventure:

http://thegiantkillingadventure.blogspot.co.uk/

And following Workington - the Casual Hopper:

http://ollyfa.wordpress.com/

View user profile

59 Re: Workington on Wed Oct 23 2013, 22:23

We seem to be playing Stourbridge FC on Saturday now! http://www.stourbridgefc.com/s/fixtures-results-61056.html

View user profile

60 Re: Workington on Wed Oct 23 2013, 22:44

brockmoor wrote:You'll be lucky to get a reasonable second hand coach for under £20k Wink
I'd snap another club's hand off if they offered us that much for Cliffy...

View user profile

61 Re: Workington on Wed Oct 23 2013, 22:52


With the people that would be on the coach it sounds more like a "Carry On" film to me lol! 
Nathan's normally up for a bit of carrying on!

Laughing 

View user profile

62 Re: Workington on Wed Oct 23 2013, 22:58

stour_boy wrote:We seem to be playing Stourbridge FC on Saturday now! http://www.stourbridgefc.com/s/fixtures-results-61056.html
I'll have £20 on Stourbridge, then... Each way, obviously!

View user profile

63 Re: Workington on Thu Oct 24 2013, 18:03

Workington reserves home game called off tonight due to a waterlogged pitch. May just be precautionary with one eye on Saturday, of course.

BBC forecast for Workington now saying dry until 6am tomorrow, then heavy rain tomorrow morning and showers tomorrow afternoon. Mostly dry overnight Friday and all day Saturday until heavy rain from 4 pm. It said heavy rain from 1 pm earlier, so hopefully that will go back even further and we'll get a completely dry afternoon.

View user profile

64 Re: Workington on Thu Oct 24 2013, 18:08

Jack

avatar
Admin
So how'd we go into this? Attack em front the start or try and contain them?

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

65 Re: Workington on Thu Oct 24 2013, 18:12

Jack wrote:So how'd we go into this? Attack em front the start or try and contain them?
"From" not "front" Jack and can we have it re written in English please? :-]]

View user profile

66 Re: Workington on Thu Oct 24 2013, 18:13

Jack

avatar
Admin
Sorry Sir. When do you want the homework in for? Wink

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

67 Re: Workington on Thu Oct 24 2013, 18:16

Jack wrote:Sorry Sir. When do you want the homework in for? Wink
Hand it in at Workington to TRM.........i believe he's the schoolmaster Jack.

Beware.......he may bring his cane with him!

View user profile

68 Re: Workington on Thu Oct 24 2013, 19:27

On the betting front Stour are a shade under 2/1... best price 15/8 with bet victor while workington are favs at 11/8.

They have prob got it about right..i was looking for 5/2 for Stour..if i do find that price i will have a decent dabble.

Hope everyone has a safe trip north..can't wait! pirat 

View user profile

69 Re: Workington on Thu Oct 24 2013, 20:31

DY9 Stour wrote:On the betting front Stour are a shade under 2/1... best price 15/8 with bet victor while workington are favs at 11/8.

They have prob got it about right..i was looking for 5/2 for Stour..if i do find that price i will have a decent dabble.

Hope everyone has a safe trip north..can't wait! pirat 



I was also thinking we would have been about 9/4 - 5/2. Can't believe we are that short (13/8 in places). Bookies obviously not taking many chances with us,ultimate compliment I suppose.

View user profile

70 Re: Workington on Thu Oct 24 2013, 20:37

There are two factors here, I guess (and I'm not a betting expert by any means).

1. There are only five places between us in the pyramid - though Workington do have home advantage.

2. Bookies are notoriously ignorant of non-League football (though they are a bit more clued up nowadays) and won't want to be caught out by a "shock", so they'll hedge their bets a little.

View user profile

71 Re: Workington on Thu Oct 24 2013, 21:05

Completely agree TRM. Bookmakers as a norm offer better value on non league games. At 15/8 I wouldnt be getting involved in a Stourbridge win neither.
I had a lovely price on the Baggies U21's to beat Liverpool U21's on Sunday, Baggies had a number of fringe first teamers playing such as Gera, Thorne & Vydra, I got a juicy 9/4 and they duly obliged 4-2. Thats the sort of value you get when you look down the football pyramid and beyond. Smile

View user profile

72 Re: Workington on Thu Oct 24 2013, 21:07

TRM wrote:There are two factors here, I guess (and I'm not a betting expert by any means).

1. There are only five places between us in the pyramid - though Workington do have home advantage.

2. Bookies are notoriously ignorant of non-League football (though they are a bit more clued up nowadays) and won't want to be caught out by a "shock", so they'll hedge their bets a little.
Bookies have taken a number of hits on non-league football in recent years. Games involving Rushden when they first hit the buffers were initially wrongly priced by the bookmakers. They were stung until it became common knowledge that they were sending out a youth team. Same happened with Weymouth and Kettering in their final Conference seasons. Since then as TRM rightly points out,the bookies are far more thorough in their knowledge of the non-league game. Days of being 'in the know' and being able to get one over on them are generally over!

I did manage to pull of a decent touch at Totton,opening game this season. We were as short as 1/3 to win the game but 4/5 to win by at least 2 goals. Thought that was too good to miss. Had it in a treble with Peterborough United and Mo Farrah!

View user profile

73 Re: Workington on Thu Oct 24 2013, 21:10

The game on Saturday will be my first following Stourbridge away. Really looking forward to it, just hope the weather holds out now.Very Happy

View user profile

74 Re: Workington on Thu Oct 24 2013, 21:11

I hate to do this and it does need to stop...but...off a decent touch Nath not of a decent touch...sorry.

View user profile

75 Re: Workington on Thu Oct 24 2013, 21:18

Forza wrote:The game on Saturday will be my first following Stourbridge away. Really looking forward to it, just hope the weather holds out now.Very Happy
Yayyyyy!!!! Another new forum member!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

Welcome to our little community!

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum