Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Curzon Ashton - FA Cup

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sun Oct 13 2013, 21:00

Stourbridge Lion wrote:"Not sure that my comment's were negative to be honest,i'm as pleased as punch that we've progressed,i just wouldn't like to see any future tie bring any bad publicity our way"

I would say that stating we have potential 750 hooligan element/and our ability to deal with a high profile game at home although we have proven otherwise in seasons past is negativity!

"This type of thing is always a concern with the gathering momentum of a cup run,even today there were faces rarely seen at Amblecote,one or two were familiar,i've seen them previously when we've played Walsall,Plymouth and Stevenage!"

I know a couple that came to the game (Curzon Ashton) and as far as I know it was their "1st game", after attending a recent function in our clubhouse they got a "feel for the club"  and thought they would like to attend a match they loved the experience and can't wait to return I don't call that "gloryhunting" I call it potential customers of the future!

"We've been lucky in the fact that the last two league teams we've played at home brought pitiful levels of support and the other match against Walsall was versus a club not renowned for trouble"

Try googling Shrewsbury v Walsall I think you will find they have a "tasty" following as have Plymouth though it probably helped that we played them midweek to be fair!

"As for "Harry the dog",i don't know how old you are but if you were in the older bracket like me ( 52 ) you'd well remember the days of the 70's when Millwall were causing havoc home and away and their "treatment" crew lead by Harry were feared by most opposing fans"

Yes know all about the Millwall fans in fancy dress ie:surgical masks!  Every club had them in those days just happened that they were glorified in a TV documentary P.S. missed that documentary please post the link if on catch up tv!

"It does cheese me off even after 40 years of supporting Stourbridge that we can't get more of the "glory hunters" to stick around although having said that i guess some of them must have done seeing as crowds of 120 in the Midland Alliance are now nearer 450 on average for league games"

Chuffed up mate i've qualified as a "glory hunter" only started following the Glassboys regular during the Walsall FA Cup season highly honoured!

"I travel to a lot of away games now as well as doing most of the pre season friendlies and when you see the lads getting off the team bus midweek,some still in their working clothes after a hard days graft it does make you think that they deserve the best of support"

These players get my utmost respect hence me turning my back on a successful Premiership team who I could no longer relate to,that's why I follow Stourbridge now.
"Chuffed up mate i've qualified as a "glory hunter" only started following the Glassboys regular during the Walsall FA Cup season highly honoured!"

Good for you pal.

Let's hope the other few hundred will carry on coming if we make 1st or 2nd round again.

View user profile

52 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Mon Oct 14 2013, 08:23

I'm a bit lost why mentioning the fact that a game against a club with a known trouble element would be a concern is taken as a negative comment.

I'm as pleased as anyone that we made it through and I'm sure the club will be fine with hosting anyone, though I'm sure Atherstone thought the same before the Barrow game.

There is also the segregation issue with the church end exit out of use.

View user profile

53 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Mon Oct 14 2013, 08:58

The anology with Atherstone doesn't quite work.

1. Barrow don't have a "known element of troublemakers."

2. The problems were caused by Atherstone "fans", not people from Barrow.

3. It looks as though Atherstone failed to take any kind of precautionary steps whatsoever, despite everybody under the sun knowing full well that there was going to be an issue.

View user profile

54 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Mon Oct 14 2013, 12:18

With there being no games in the the to 2 divisions on Saturday the so-called fans could have come from another club.  But you still have to ask the question having seen the pictures in that link, which is where were the stewards as you don't see any??

Having said that those responsible should be easy to identify given the quality of the pictures, and luckily we don't have that sort of trouble at Stour.  Even when we had big crowds against Plymouth & Stevenage, where a lot of the fans were unknown they were still well behaved.

As for our performance on Saturday all you can say is well done, yet again people were worried (myself included!) about it being a tough game but Curzon obviously had a bad day as their performance was certainly nothing to write home about.

Looking forward to the next round, even though it is away.

55 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Mon Oct 14 2013, 12:42

TRM wrote:The anology with Atherstone doesn't quite work.

1. Barrow don't have a "known element of troublemakers."

2. The problems were caused by Atherstone "fans", not people from Barrow.

3. It looks as though Atherstone failed to take any kind of precautionary steps whatsoever, despite everybody under the sun knowing full well that there was going to be an issue.
As me and DA pointed out originally a game against one of those type of sides could attract yobbos on our side as well, such as people tagging along if we drew Kiddy away. Although I don't think we really have any, even the part timers who turned up minutes before kick off against Stevenage were just steaming drunk rather than any problem. Although several were irritating during the match.

Easy for you to say point 3 with hindsight!

View user profile

56 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Mon Oct 14 2013, 14:13

Point 3 is nothing to do with hindsight. Atherstone have been turning a blind eye to problems throughout this Cup run.

View user profile

57 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Mon Oct 14 2013, 14:55

They're a side at Step 6 though. I'm sure that back in the MFA days we might have been a bit unprepared for a match against Conference Premier opponents given that we didn't really have a group of stewards back then.

Indeed we did have a tonne of kids running amok at some B'ham Senior Cup matches back when were were in the MFA/SLM and had an unsavoury group of chavs in the Shed End for a while. I think you were 'on sabbatical' at that point though.

View user profile

58 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Mon Oct 14 2013, 14:56

TRM wrote:Point 3 is nothing to do with hindsight. Atherstone have been turning a blind eye to problems throughout this Cup run.
Indeed.

Studley (preliminary round)

http://www.mfctalk.co.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=57083&start=0

Redditch (1st Q)

http://www.mfctalk.co.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=57129&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Coalville (2nd Q)

http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?post=528911;search_string=atherstone;#528911

View user profile

59 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Mon Oct 14 2013, 23:02

baz wrote:I heard the TRM was a one man army in his day!
Proper nutter in his younger days with his vitriolic sarcasm.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum