Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Curzon Ashton - FA Cup

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sat Oct 12 2013, 17:27

Curzon were much worse than I expected. Good win. Got a bit tasty in the second half which was fun.

Funny to see so many people watching it from outside the bar - hence about three people clapped for the first two goals because everyone else had pints in their hands Wink

Whoever raised the question of why we choose to kick towards the Church End in the second half at the AGM made a brilliant point. As the second half demonstrated today, it was pretty busy in the side stand and the Shed End and it made for a great atmosphere.

Richards, Oliver and Broadhurst stood out for me today.

And Halesowen lost, what a shame.

View user profile

27 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sat Oct 12 2013, 17:33

Great result but very poor second half,the quality of football was dreadful.

First half we were quite bright and to be honest we were a bit wasteful,5-0 at half time wouldn't have flattered us.

Curzon were dreadful at the back,the poorest team we've played this season apart from Redditch in my opinion,that defence was slow,ponderous and flat footed and panicked in possession.

I think we took our foot off the gas and allowed them some respite once it got to 2-0.

I surprised myself today by being forced to vote for Oliver as man of the match,a far better CH than FB in my opinion,well played him.

Good performance by Will Richards again by the way.

Nice finish by Benbow for the third goal following a great pass from Geddes.

Another £7500 in the bank in prize money,a gate of 633 which well beat my expectation so all in all with £15,000 now in the "piggy" we have had a nice run.

Either a big Skrill Premier side at home next please or the most p1ss poor side left in the competition,either would do nicely.

View user profile

28 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sat Oct 12 2013, 17:44

Sounds like there was big crowd trouble at Atherstone v Barrow according to reports...

View user profile

29 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sat Oct 12 2013, 17:54

Job done, I can't believe Curzon are that bad normally, froze in the headlights and they where never able to recover from that early goal, the goalkeeper and the big number 5, seemed to have a mistake in them most times they got the ball and the amount of times the ball went out of play when they had possession! that said our first half performance was superb and we could have easily been 5-0 up, we never gave them a chance of settling and a couple of good saves and one off the line, just about kept them in it.  The second half was average fare and there was the odd hairy moment at the back but they never looked scoring, but neither did we until Benbow's excellent finish.  Thought we'd miss McCone but Oliver had an excellent game at the back and Rowe played well again, overall good team performance.  Hope for a home draw against anybody really, if we did get a big conference club, both enterances need to be in use, at the AGM they said tree cutting contractor had damaged the church end slope, dosen't look much different though?

View user profile

30 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sat Oct 12 2013, 21:39

View user profile

31 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sat Oct 12 2013, 21:50

Wonder if the FA will throw the book at Atherstone now?

I'm sure the police will be involved too. Especially for the guy in the flat cap, hoodie and joggers in the second photo from the link above. Crimes of fashion!!

Lucky we weren't playing them.

View user profile

32 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sat Oct 12 2013, 22:10

I thought it was a very professional performance today - did what we needed to.

The first goal obviously settled us and the way it came about must have shaken their confidence a bit at the same time. Good finish by Ryan when some players might have had a rush of blood and blasted it instead of placing it the way he did.

I thought they were the better side up to our second goal. They played the ball around well, moved well off the ball and threatened to get in behind us a few times. We looked just half a yard slower than them in getting to the ball and reacting to the game.

However, once we were 2-0 up I thought we played with more confidence and they wilted a bit. I think you could tell they weren't used to being behind and found it hard to chase the game. Nathan's injury could have made life difficult but Will and Jamie were outstanding. I made Will Man of the Match - I thought he really stepped up as the "senior" central defender (ie. the one who started the game in that role) and marshalled the back-line superbly. I gather Nathan isn't too bad and we expect him to be ok for next Saturday, but if we ever are without him for a spell I'd be happy with a back four of Macca (or Wurzel in the FA Cup)-Will-Jamie-Lloydy on what I saw today.

As others have said, the second half was a bit of a non-event. We did what we needed to do and although they put some good moves together up to a point, there were very few real scares inside our penalty area.

No weak links today, everybody did well. Especially pleased for Luke to come on and put the cherry on the cake with a very well-taken goal. I'm sure he doesn't like to be on the bench but right now he's got to wait for his chance. All he can do is work hard when he comes on and he certainly did that again today.

Very good crowd and a good atmosphere about the place. Agree with the point about attacking the Shed in the second half of games. We didn't need a barn-storming second half today but if we had done there were plenty of fans in there to provide encouragement. Surely we should be capitalising on that?

Looking forward to Monday's draw.

View user profile

33 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sat Oct 12 2013, 23:15

stour_boy wrote:Wonder if the FA will throw the book at Atherstone now?

I'm sure the police will be involved too. Especially for the guy in the flat cap, hoodie and joggers in the second photo from the link above. Crimes of fashion!!

Lucky we weren't playing them.
Disgraceful scenes at Atherstone.

This type of thing is always a concern with the gathering momentum of a cup run,even today there were faces rarely seen at Amblecote,one or two were familiar,i've seen them previously when we've played Walsall,Plymouth and Stevenage!

If we do get a home draw against a big Skrill Premier club,especially Kiddie it could get very tasty indeed.

If we ended up away at Kiddie i could see us taking 1500+ of which half could be the nutters looking for a ruck.

I was watching a programme about the 70's on BBC2 earlier,happy days watching "Harry the Dog" and his crew from Milwall on their way to a riot at Eastville when they played Bristol Rovers......it seems like only yesterday when i was avoiding rocks and coins at matches.

Heres hoping for a good game with no trouble.

View user profile

34 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sat Oct 12 2013, 23:33

Fully agreed, that's what puts me off wanting a home game against Hereford, Kiddy, Luton, Wrexham etc as it would inevitably attract a moron element purporting to be fans of either side.

View user profile

35 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sat Oct 12 2013, 23:44

Just crack on....what will be will be.

View user profile

36 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sun Oct 13 2013, 12:08

Well said Tricky,chance of a big game and more FA Cup success and the merchants of gloom are out again,shame we didn't get knocked out early doors but as we are still in the competition lets hope for some unattractive draw away from home against Dartford,Braintree,Welling or someone similar just to deter the gloryhunters or potential crowd trouble.  I don't remember too many incidents in previous FA Cup runs,the 2 Plymouth games,Stevenage,Walsall,Chester (in the trophy) all money spinning games that went off with minimal crowd problems.  I do wonder sometimes we want to succeed and get bigger crowds but when we do we get comments like "even today there were faces rarely seen at Amblecote" and "that's what puts me off wanting a home game against Hereford, Kiddy, Luton, Wrexham", I make no apologies for wanting the easiest draw out there or failing that any one of the above which Home or away would make us a lot more money than Concord Rangers,Brackley,Tonbridge or the like !Evil or Very Mad

View user profile

37 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sun Oct 13 2013, 13:39

Completely agree, Lion (and welcome back!). We'd all like the easiest draw possible at home - though any step 5 side getting this far will probably have won five matches, so can't be considered pushovers.

However, we will get what we get, and if it's a home match against a "big" club we will cope - we've done it before and we'll do it again.

View user profile

38 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sun Oct 13 2013, 13:40

Stourbridge Lion wrote:Well said Tricky,chance of a big game and more FA Cup success and the merchants of gloom are out again,shame we didn't get knocked out early doors but as we are still in the competition lets hope for some unattractive draw away from home against Dartford,Braintree,Welling or someone similar just to deter the gloryhunters or potential crowd trouble.  I don't remember too many incidents in previous FA Cup runs,the 2 Plymouth games,Stevenage,Walsall,Chester (in the trophy) all money spinning games that went off with minimal crowd problems.  I do wonder sometimes we want to succeed and get bigger crowds but when we do we get comments like "even today there were faces rarely seen at Amblecote" and "that's what puts me off wanting a home game against Hereford, Kiddy, Luton, Wrexham", I make no apologies for wanting the easiest draw out there or failing that any one of the above which Home or away would make us a lot more money than Concord Rangers,Brackley,Tonbridge or the like !Evil or Very Mad
Agreed. Where the 750 "nutters looking for a ruck" would come from, I have no idea.

View user profile

39 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sun Oct 13 2013, 14:15

Very complimentary blog on yesterday's game...

http://thegiantkillingadventure.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/the-lonely-mans-journey-of-self-pity.html

He's followed Curzon through five matches. Let's hope he brings us the same kind of luck!

View user profile

40 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sun Oct 13 2013, 14:28

Thank's TRM,good to be back, just needed some motivation and a couple of negative comments read whilst still basking in the glories of yesterdays resounding victory against tricky opponents worked.  On a lighter note DA don't forget we have our own Dave The Dog who I personally find a lot more intimidating than some 70's hoodlum from the mean streets of South London called Harry The Dog! Shocked

View user profile

41 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sun Oct 13 2013, 14:56

I would hope there were some "faces rarely seen" yesterday. We need to pull in more punters all the time. I didn't see anything remotely resembling "A Troublemaker" at the game, and I didn't see any at the big matches we've hosted over the last four or five seasons (I'd add the Gosport play-off match to the list mentioned as well).

Of course we can't be complacent - look at what happened at Atherstone where it seems they didn't deal with a problem everybody knew was going to happen - but with the practice the Police have had at Amblecote in recent years we should be able to deal with a sizeable visiting support. The one thing we do need to get right is the segregation, which is always difficult but do-able.

View user profile

42 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sun Oct 13 2013, 15:18

TRM wrote:I would hope there were some "faces rarely seen" yesterday. We need to pull in more punters all the time. I didn't see anything remotely resembling "A Troublemaker" at the game, and I didn't see any at the big matches we've hosted over the last four or five seasons (I'd add the Gosport play-off match to the list mentioned as well).

Of course we can't be complacent - look at what happened at Atherstone where it seems they didn't deal with a problem everybody knew was going to happen - but with the practice the Police have had at Amblecote in recent years we should be able to deal with a sizeable visiting support. The one thing we do need to get right is the segregation, which is always difficult but do-able.
Atherstone have been having problems all season and didn't have a clue yesterday. "Nine elderly stewards" was one comment.

View user profile

43 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sun Oct 13 2013, 15:58

I heard the TRM was a one man army in his day!

View user profile

44 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sun Oct 13 2013, 17:01

Some seriously duff information you've had there, Baz.

I mean seriously duff.

Seriously.

View user profile

45 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sun Oct 13 2013, 18:08

Stourbridge Lion wrote:Thank's TRM,good to be back, just needed some motivation and a couple of negative comments read whilst still basking in the glories of yesterdays resounding victory against tricky opponents worked.  On a lighter note DA don't forget we have our own Dave The Dog who I personally find a lot more intimidating than some 70's hoodlum from the mean streets of South London called Harry The Dog! Shocked

Not sure that my comment's were negative to be honest,i'm as pleased as punch that we've progressed,i just wouldn't like to see any future tie bring any bad publicity our way.

We've been lucky in the fact that the last two league teams we've played at home brought pitiful levels of support and the other match against Walsall was versus a club not renowned for trouble.

If we were to draw Kiddie at our place or away the potential for trouble is greater than at any other high profile match we've played in my opinion,Stockport at our place would be another concern.

If we drew Wolves home or away in the first round proper that could be a big problem,i'm an Albion fan,i can imagine a good number of Albion's rougher element who'd love to be at that game.

This isn't being "negative",it's being realistic.

As for "Harry the dog",i don't know how old you are but if you were in the older bracket like me ( 52 ) you'd well remember the days of the 70's when Millwall were causing havoc home and away and their "treatment" crew lead by Harry were feared by most opposing fans.

As for what i said about the rarely seen faces at the ground.

It does cheese me off even after 40 years of supporting Stourbridge that we can't get more of the "glory hunters" to stick around although having said that i guess some of them must have done seeing as crowds of 120 in the Midland Alliance are now nearer 450 on average for league games.

I travel to a lot of away games now as well as doing most of the pre season friendlies and when you see the lads getting off the team bus midweek,some still in their working clothes after a hard days graft it does make you think that they deserve the best of support.

View user profile

46 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sun Oct 13 2013, 18:32

Devil's Advocate wrote:If we were to draw Kiddie at our place or away the potential for trouble is greater than at any other high profile match we've played in my opinion,Stockport at our place would be another concern.
It would be more of a concern for the FA as it would mean they'd seriously ballsed up the draw - Stockport are out!

View user profile

47 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sun Oct 13 2013, 18:33

TRM wrote:Some seriously duff information you've had there, Baz.

I mean seriously duff.

Seriously.
Methinks the gentleman doth protest too much.

Wink 

View user profile

48 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sun Oct 13 2013, 20:24

As has been said by many, a good all round team display with good individual performances. Must admit that I was a little concerned when Jamie went into central defence, but he was excellent along with Will who was outstanding. Jamie showed what an asset he is when he controls his aggression, hopefully the good things being said about his performance will prove to him he has to curb his temper whilst maintaining his passion. I expected more from Curzon, but that was down to us not letting them play, though I thought their second disallowed goal was a close call.

Will won the MotM with 12 votes, Jamie received 7, Sean & Aaron 3 each, luke 2, and Leon & Ryan 1 each.

John Johnson won the wine.

View user profile

49 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sun Oct 13 2013, 20:27

I think the only match I've ever been to where there was trouble was Stourbridge v Halesowen in the FA Cup in 1984.

View user profile

50 Re: Curzon Ashton - FA Cup on Sun Oct 13 2013, 20:50

"Not sure that my comment's were negative to be honest,i'm as pleased as punch that we've progressed,i just wouldn't like to see any future tie bring any bad publicity our way"

I would say that stating we have potential 750 hooligan element/and our ability to deal with a high profile game at home although we have proven otherwise in seasons past is negativity!

"This type of thing is always a concern with the gathering momentum of a cup run,even today there were faces rarely seen at Amblecote,one or two were familiar,i've seen them previously when we've played Walsall,Plymouth and Stevenage!"

I know a couple that came to the game (Curzon Ashton) and as far as I know it was their "1st game", after attending a recent function in our clubhouse they got a "feel for the club"  and thought they would like to attend a match they loved the experience and can't wait to return I don't call that "gloryhunting" I call it potential customers of the future!

"We've been lucky in the fact that the last two league teams we've played at home brought pitiful levels of support and the other match against Walsall was versus a club not renowned for trouble"

Try googling Shrewsbury v Walsall I think you will find they have a "tasty" following as have Plymouth though it probably helped that we played them midweek to be fair!

"As for "Harry the dog",i don't know how old you are but if you were in the older bracket like me ( 52 ) you'd well remember the days of the 70's when Millwall were causing havoc home and away and their "treatment" crew lead by Harry were feared by most opposing fans"

Yes know all about the Millwall fans in fancy dress ie:surgical masks!  Every club had them in those days just happened that they were glorified in a TV documentary P.S. missed that documentary please post the link if on catch up tv!

"It does cheese me off even after 40 years of supporting Stourbridge that we can't get more of the "glory hunters" to stick around although having said that i guess some of them must have done seeing as crowds of 120 in the Midland Alliance are now nearer 450 on average for league games"

Chuffed up mate i've qualified as a "glory hunter" only started following the Glassboys regular during the Walsall FA Cup season highly honoured!

"I travel to a lot of away games now as well as doing most of the pre season friendlies and when you see the lads getting off the team bus midweek,some still in their working clothes after a hard days graft it does make you think that they deserve the best of support"

These players get my utmost respect hence me turning my back on a successful Premiership team who I could no longer relate to,that's why I follow Stourbridge now.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum