Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

FA Cup second round draw.

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1 FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 10:46

I have no idea who we'll be playing.

I just wanted to beat TRM to put up a post about it.

PS. I have a lot of time om my hand's.

View user profile

2 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 10:54

Jack

Admin
Nailed on Leamo.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

3 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 12:29

Nothing yet on the main FA site, but some fixtures are up on individual clubs' pages on the "Club Wall" section, inc...

Solihull v Leamington
Telford v Hednesford
Halesowen v Tipton

No sign of ours yet, though.

View user profile

4 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 12:33

Mickleover Sports v Corby
Brackley v Gresley

Some clubs there I'm happy not to be playing.

View user profile

5 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 12:34

Stourbridge v Newcastle Town or Sutton Coldfield Town

Could have been a lot worse.

View user profile

6 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 12:43

Jack

Admin
Good draw. Also good to see other local bigger teams drawn together for future rounds.

7 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 12:45

Others that may be of interest (or may not)...

Atherstone or Redditch v Coalville
Stamford or Grantham v Wulfrunians or Walsall Wood
Gainsborough v Rushall
Worcester v Cov Sphinx
Belper v Daventry
Chasetown or Stafford Rangers v Boston Utd
Dunkirk or Blaby & Whetstone v Rugby
Carlton or Brigg v Matlock

Those, plus the ones I'd already posted seem to make up the "Midlands" section, so if we get through that's where our next tie would come from.

Good for other clubs that one of Telford and Hednesford and one of Solihull or Leamington will be going out.

Elsewhere for clubs in our Division...

St Albans v Billericay
Hampton & Richmond v Bedford
Hitchin or Arlesey v Thurrock
Cockfosters or AFC Rushden & Diamonds v Cambridge City
Hemel v Witham or Mildenhall
Wingate & Finchley or Biggleswade v Chelmsford
Canvey Island v St Neots
Didcot v Burnham
Hamworthy v Poole
Brislington v Truro
Yate v Bideford
Weymouth v Frome or Bognor Regis
Bashley v Hungerford

And one or two others...

Stockport v Brighouse
Gloucester v Havant & Waterlooville
Bath v Gosport
Guernsey v Dover

View user profile

8 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 13:22

Sutton currently 12 th in NPL 1 South - 2 wins, 2 draws, 2 defeats from six games (1 win, 1 draw, 1 defeat away from home).

Newcastle 16th in the same division - 2 wins, 4 defeats (all 3 away games have been defeats so far).

Plenty of meetings with Sutton down the years - the last obviously being that 5-4 ET defeat in the BSC semi last season. Would not want to go and play them on the placky again if we can help it.

Only ever met Newcastle once before to my knowledge - at their place about 10 years back in the FA Cup. I didn't go, but if memory serves we lost 2-1 after extra-time after agreeing to play ET in the first match instead of going straight to a replay. There were repercussions...

View user profile

9 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 14:56

TRM wrote:Sutton currently 12 th in NPL 1 South - 2 wins, 2 draws, 2 defeats from six games (1 win, 1 draw, 1 defeat away from home).

Newcastle 16th in the same division - 2 wins, 4 defeats (all 3 away games have been defeats so far).

Plenty of meetings with Sutton down the years - the last obviously being that 5-4 ET defeat in the BSC semi last season. Would not want to go and play them on the placky again if we can help it.

Only ever met Newcastle once before to my knowledge - at their place about 10 years back in the FA Cup. I didn't go, but if memory serves we lost 2-1 after extra-time after agreeing to play ET in the first match instead of going straight to a replay. There were repercussions...
Yes, I remember them well...

View user profile

10 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 15:22

Jack

Admin
We were robbed in that cup game if I remember correctly. Scott Stevenson scored a screamer.

11 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 15:31

Jack wrote:We were robbed in that cup game if I remember correctly. Scott Stevenson scored a screamer.
How would you know? You must have been about three! Laughing Laughing Laughing 

View user profile

12 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 16:03

It wasnt as long as 10 years. I think it was our 1st year in the southern midland league. It was our 1st season as season ticket holders - Jack would have been about 9ish. I remember all the fuss afterwards and a lot of disgruntled fans - plus their horrid ground with that funny shaped track around it. Hope we win so we dont have a replay at either ground. Still no Leamo so thats a bonus!!

View user profile

13 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 16:05

Jane.N wrote:It wasnt as long as 10 years. I think it was our 1st year in the southern midland league. It was our 1st season as season ticket holders - Jack would have been about 9ish. I remember all the fuss afterwards and a lot of disgruntled fans - plus their horrid ground with that funny shaped track around it. Hope we win so we dont have a replay at either ground. Still no Leamo so thats a bonus!!
I thought it was when we were still in the Alliance.

View user profile

14 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 16:45

Jane.N wrote:It wasnt as long as 10 years. I think it was our 1st year in the southern midland league. It was our 1st season as season ticket holders - Jack would have been about 9ish. I remember all the fuss afterwards and a lot of disgruntled fans - plus their horrid ground with that funny shaped track around it. Hope we win so we dont have a replay at either ground. Still no Leamo so thats a bonus!!
It's a velodrome. Went there once for a pre-season friendly against Port Vale. Plenty of spectators that day but I would imagine it would be pretty soulless with only about 100 in for a midweek replay. They had 80-something against Sutton on Saturday, if that's any guide to their crowds. Nowt wrong with that, we've been in the sub-100 club a few times in the Alliance, but it must make it grim at such a wide-open stadium.

View user profile

15 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 16:56

TRM wrote:
It's a velodrome. Went there once for a pre-season friendly against Port Vale. Plenty of spectators that day but I would imagine it would be pretty soulless with only about 100 in for a midweek replay. They had 80-something against Sutton on Saturday, if that's any guide to their crowds. Nowt wrong with that, we've been in the sub-100 club a few times in the Alliance, but it must make it grim at such a wide-open stadium.
Did we go below 100 very often? I can't remember it.

View user profile

16 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 16:59

Velodrome - thats the word - couldnt think of it earlier!!Embarassed 

I may be wrong on the year but think it was in the Southern Midland as we didnt do many away games before that - just the local Cradley / Oldbury ones. whatever - it certainly wasnt ten years ago. No doubt someone will know for sure!
Anyway decent enough tie.

View user profile

17 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 17:55

Jack wrote:Nailed on Leamo.

Hope you don't do the lottery?

View user profile

18 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 18:14

The Newcastle Town game was indeed in our first SLM season; 2006/07 I believe.

As for sub-100 crowds at Amblecote I can only recall 3 off the top of my head during my time as a supporter.

91 v Barwell in the Alliance when England were playing at the same time

77 v Malvern in the SL League Cup

85 v Oldbury in the Birmingham Senior

The latter two were when we had about 9 home games in a row so pretty understandable!

And this is all from memory as I'm currently on the train home from work Razz

View user profile

19 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 19:06

Jack

Admin
Devil's Advocate wrote:
Jack wrote:Nailed on Leamo.
Hope you don't do the lottery?
Alas, it was all part of my cunning plan. I didn't think we'd get em, but someone had to say that we would so we'd avoid them. In fact, you should be all thanking me. Pshhh. I do all this hard work and not a single thanks! Wink

20 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 19:19

Certainly winnable. Someone mentioned they wouldn't be too keen to play at Sutton in a replay. Now I may be wrong (usually mind!) but I seem to recall a ruling that FAncup ties can't be played on anything other than grass, thus Sutton would have to find an alternative venue. This ruling may have changed for this season. I am sure Romulus had to make alternative arrangements.

View user profile

21 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 19:32

flexcavana wrote:Certainly winnable. Someone mentioned they wouldn't be too keen to play at Sutton in a replay. Now I may be wrong (usually mind!) but I seem to recall a ruling that FAncup ties can't be played on anything other than grass, thus Sutton would have to find an alternative venue. This ruling may have changed for this season. I am sure Romulus had to make alternative arrangements.
I think this ruling has changed. Sutton beat Bedworth at home in the Preliminary Round and there's no mention on their website of that game being played anywhere other than Coles Lane.

View user profile

22 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 19:37

stour_boy wrote:The Newcastle Town game was indeed in our first SLM season; 2006/07 I believe.

As for sub-100 crowds at Amblecote I can only recall 3 off the top of my head during my time as a supporter.

The latter two were when we had about 9 home games in a row so pretty understandable!

2000/01 - First season in the Alliance after relegation...

Sat 7 Oct - 88 v Knypersley
Tue 24 Oct - 82 v Stratford (FA Vase replay)
Sat 28 Oct - 85 v Boldmere

Taken from the prog v Sandwell in November that season. There may have been other sub-100s later on.

Other crowds up to that point that season - 199 (Rugby FAC), 138 (Rushall), 121 (Stamford FAC), 106 (Stapenhill), 130 (Brierley Hill BSC), 134 (Willenhall), 123 (Wednesfield).

View user profile

23 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 22:17

Clive has told me that 3G pitches are allowed in the Qually Rounds but not in the Competition "proper".

View user profile

24 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 22:24

TRM wrote:
stour_boy wrote:The Newcastle Town game was indeed in our first SLM season; 2006/07 I believe.

2000/01 - First season in the Alliance after relegation...

Sat 7 Oct - 88 v Knypersley
Tue 24 Oct - 82 v Stratford (FA Vase replay)
Sat 28 Oct - 85 v Boldmere

Taken from the prog v Sandwell in November that season. There may have been other sub-100s later on.

Other crowds up to that point that season - 199 (Rugby FAC), 138 (Rushall), 121 (Stamford FAC), 106 (Stapenhill), 130 (Brierley Hill BSC), 134 (Willenhall), 123 (Wednesfield).
I started supporting in December 2002 so after those three above, which I wrote in my original long message which I submitted as I boarded a Virgin train from Cov to New Street, only to find the Virgin wifi purchase screen come up and my message was lost into the stratosphere. I rewrote a shorter version :/

View user profile

25 Re: FA Cup second round draw. on Mon Sep 16 2013, 22:34

Replay result tonight...

Redditch 1-2 Atherstone

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum