View user profile

27 Re: Hungerford on Tue Sep 17 2013, 22:18

Make Hackett director of football lol,give Gordy the job

View user profile

28 Re: Hungerford on Tue Sep 17 2013, 22:19

Fordy

View user profile

29 Re: Hungerford on Wed Sep 18 2013, 00:17

What a waste of an evening......apart from the wonderful company of the usual travelling fan's.

A wretched performance,a first half of no redeeming features ruined by another utter moron of a referee,the type of ref who just cannot wait to get the cards out.

Oliver played right into his hand's and deserved to go for his ill discipline regardless of the "wind up" job the Hungerford bench and player's were doing on him.

Geddes is getting swamped in midfield,it's like watching an American Football Quarter Back getting "sacked" time after time because our "playmaker" has nobody riding shotgun covering his @rse.

There is a lack of intensity in our play generally,a lack of "legs" and physicality in the heart of the midfield and the wide midfielder's are offering nothing,Canavan and Fitzpatrick were annonymous and the lack of ability to go past a man is hurting our build up play.

Benbow is a fish out of water on the right even though his work rate is not in question.

Bennett and Richards were heroic at the back again in awful conditions but overall we looked a mess,no cohesion going forward and exposed time after time on the flanks even before Oliver got his marching order's!

For my money the time to act is now,time for a few to buck their ideas up or ship out.

We need to get in a couple of proper full backs,a physically dominating midfielder to help Geddes,pace on the wings and although it pain's me to say it,i'd go with Benbow on his own up front with Billingham playing behind him in a 4-5-1.

At present we are not strong enough in midfield to play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3.

Hungerford were so limited it's literally points just tossed away just like it was at Bedford and the form we are showing is as bad as it was pre season,i can't see us finishing anywhere near the play offs unless drastic action is taken quickly.

Well done to the 30+ Stour fan's in the pitiful crowd of just 100.

View user profile

30 Re: Hungerford on Wed Sep 18 2013, 07:51

Accurate summary by devil although I've not got a clue about the reference to American football quarter back so I'll have to take his word on that.
Awful performance,awful weather,shocking journey home thanks to road closure.
Great banter amongst stour fans(Ulster keep your language down)
Nath's face was a picture when he realised we were down to ten men at half time,too much chatting to women on his phone.....really good company there and back....thanks again to the reasonable man.

View user profile

31 Re: Hungerford on Wed Sep 18 2013, 09:03

Jack

Admin
Gary has my complete backing and I'm sure he'll change it all around. However, at what point does the history with Gary and the past 9 years need to be took aside and we really need to think about what's best? If that point was to ever occur?

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

32 Re: Hungerford on Wed Sep 18 2013, 10:36

Cant add much more,but our players have not gone bad players overnight,and why are we making average sides look good? Not sure if Dean was completely at fault for their goal as me dad said the ball was spinning when he tried to hold it,but why did he not just punch it out for corner,with the conditions as they were

View user profile

33 Re: Hungerford on Wed Sep 18 2013, 10:58

Agree with everybody that the first half performance was awful and unaceptable.

Started badly with Dean making that mistake and as Baz has said if he wasnt sure why not just punch it out for a corner. Apart from that Dean didnt really have to make a save.

Thought defence once again started slowly and were to far apart. Agree with DA that Nathan defended well but for me in the last few games Will has not looked as composed as he did when he moved to the back. Must be hard for the player to adjust to another position though.

Once again over ran in centre midfield with neither Leon/Sean getting to grips with there midfield. We again fall down when someone plays in between the defence and midfield. We must sort this out. For me Gary has to go and find a defensive midfielder from somewhere. I appreciate that could be hard. Even though Leon does a lot of chasing for the ball we rarely win the tackle and Sean doesnt assist in this. For me Sean has to do more when we have the ball if he is our playmaker in midfield. Too many side or backward balls which put others in trouble. Also delivery from set pieces needs to be better and not wasted.

Agree we need width but also need players who go past the defender and not just cut back inside. Is this because we play players on the wrong side.

Regarding Ryan/Luke we rarely win a header because of their size and this is one area where we miss Ben when he doesnt play. Its always going to be hard when you have to individuals as Ryan/Luke but it up to Gary and the players to make it work. To start with trusting each other and passing the ball when the other is in a better position. Its a team game. Luke again last night even though he try hard second half we got the sulky Luke which gets us no where which was shown when Will won a header and he made no attempt to go for the ball.

Jamies sending off couldnt really see what happened but if people say it was a sending off then fair enough.

Refs do make bad decisions but surely its about the way we play as Baz said they do not become bad players overnight and this set has the ability which is why we as supporters get so annoyed.

For me once again the management were more involved with the ref and their bench instead of trying to sort out our mess and try to help the players with advice and encouragement.

Time to move on to St Albans put last night behind us and for the players to show the supporters what they are capable because we know they are capable of beating anybody in this league.

Must admit our options at present look very thin on the ground though!!

View user profile

34 Re: Hungerford on Wed Sep 18 2013, 11:34

We also need a leader in the pack,which has been pointed out before,guess football like every team sport it is about confidence in your own abilities and your team mates,this can only be restored by getting your head down and train hard and it will come

View user profile

35 Re: Hungerford on Wed Sep 18 2013, 17:37

An insipid first half display in which we never threatened, culminating in a stupid sending off.
I thought our second half display was much better and I genuinely believe one that merited a share of the points.
Second half we worked hard and chased everything and tried to play football in awful conditions, their keeper made 3 or 4 excellent saves in the final 20 minutes.

I also apologise for my remarks to the referee at half time over the sending off (no swearing involved, honest) but I did call him a cheat and accused him of ruining the game. Having heard from the players that Jamie threw the ball in the face of one of their staff on the bench, then the ref had no choice. He was card happy and should have carded whoever wound Jamie up. But Jamie needs to learn a lessen, fast, I am an admirer of his but he cannot keep letting the team and supporters down by losing his cool.

I feel for Dean, his one error cost us the game, outfield players can get away with those type of errors but a keepers error is usually fatal. He said after the game that he caught the ball but then his back foot slipped under him causing him to drop the ball.

Man of the match was shared between Nathan & Leon with 5 votes each, Drew & Will received 3 each Aaron & Sean 2 each and Luke 1.
Winner of the wine was Steve Sidaway.

View user profile

36 Re: Hungerford on Wed Sep 18 2013, 20:02

I'm only going to echo most of what has already been said, but here goes anyway...

The first half was an embarrassment for the most part. Hungerford could and should have scored three as a bare minimum whilst we had maybe two half-chances at most. Very few players could take any credit for that display. There was no passing to speak of and we were yet again over-run in midfield. StourSi makes a very good point that our midfielders do a lot of chasing around but rarely win the ball - we seem to rely on the other team giving it back to us.

Jamie's sending off was stupid and needless. He needs to learn his lesson. Temperamentally he's improved a lot, to the extent that I had him down as an outside bet for the captaincy. Whether he was frustrated at his own or the team's performance I don't know but you can't hope to get away with what he did.

The second half was much better, but not to the extent that it should be over-praised as it was only really what we should have expected from the off. And we were helped by the fact that Hungerford managed not to have a clue how to play against ten men. After dominating the first half they were woeful for most of the second. We've spent most of the last month bemoaning the fact that a four-man midfield isn't able to make a mark, so going to 4-3-2 (Canavan, Geddes and Fitz being the three) and then being pretty much in control tells you how poor they were.

Luke ran the risk of being sent off himself - got a stupid booking for pratting about in front of their keeper when he was trying to drop kick the ball in the first half (yes, the ref was over-fussy but he was equally so to both teams and Luke need not have given him the chance to book him) and then had a bit of a to-do with one of their lads out of frustration. I felt for him to be honest because he was shifted from right wing to up front and back again several times and I don't think he knows if he's coming or going.

Once they'd got a red card as well we were completely on top but we've got to be more clinical with our finishing. Rowey was unlucky a couple of times and Sean, I think, hit a thunderbolt that would just have sneaked inside the post had it not been blocked on the line. But Drew had two chances to shoot which he spurned, trying to take another touch with one and then opting to pass to Luke who wasn't as well placed with the other. Neither were certain goals by any stretch but both should have been hit when he had the chance - if you don't buy a ticket...

The best chance was in stoppage time when Sean found himself virtually on the penalty spot with time to pick a spot either side of the sitting duck keeper... and hit it straight at him. Had we scored at any time up to the 85th minute I reckon there's a good chance we would have gone on to win. By the same token, though, we should still have been dead and buried by half time.

I had to check tonight that Lloydy was actually on the bench because I don't understand why we played the second half with Wurzel and Leon as our full backs. If Lloydy isn't "match fit" (as per the Stourbridge News last week) then fair enough, but in that case why make him go all that way, probably taking time off work, just to sit on the bench knowing you're never going to bring him on whatever the circumstances?

I quite liked the ground - at least it had cover at both ends on such a horrible night. Wouldn't like to have been behind the goal at somewhere like Barwell in that weather. However, there didn't seem to be any tannoy announcements to speak of (hence me not knowing who our subs were) apart from a bloke shouting in panic at our supporters at half time not to use bad language to the players and officials. I sympathised with his plea as I thought those responsible were in the wrong, but he sounded ridiculous!

On the whole another bad night and there are serious questions need asking. Why so poor in the first half (especially given the belated improvement after the interval). Why players out of position? Why the Lloydy thing? Why the almost pathalogical refusal to acknowledge the lack of bite and competitiveness in midfield? All these things seem blindingly obvious to us supporters. Are we all wrong?

I said last November on here that Gary has done so much for this club and has earned the right to leave (whenever that may be) at a time and in a manner of his choosing. I still would like that to be the case. But there is not much goodwill from the supporters at the moment - especially those who made the long trip last night - and it's very hard to argue against that. There is a real danger of everything he and the management team have achieved - two promotions, three WSC wins, two BSC finals, Walsall, Plymouth, etc being tarnished.

Is that too strong? I don't know, I really don't.

View user profile

37 Re: Hungerford on Wed Sep 18 2013, 20:18

Report from Hungerord's website. The gist is fair but one or two of the details are iffy, particularly the two red cards...

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hungerfordtownfc/s/match-centre-11575/1-799230

View user profile

38 Re: Hungerford on Wed Sep 18 2013, 22:07

TRM wrote:Report from Hungerord's website. The gist is fair but one or two of the details are iffy, particularly the two red cards...

Almost as unprofessional as Cirencester Town's match reports or Stourport Swifts' pen pictures. Why do clubs let such guff be put out as their official communications?

View user profile

39 Re: Hungerford on Wed Sep 18 2013, 23:43

TRM wrote:I'm only going to echo most of what has already been said, but here goes anyway...

The first half was an embarrassment for the most part. Hungerford could and should have scored three as a bare minimum whilst we had maybe two half-chances at most. Very few players could take any credit for that display. There was no passing to speak of and we were yet again over-run in midfield. StourSi makes a very good point that our midfielders do a lot of chasing around but rarely win the ball - we seem to rely on the other team giving it back to us.

Jamie's sending off was stupid and needless. He needs to learn his lesson. Temperamentally he's improved a lot, to the extent that I had him down as an outside bet for the captaincy. Whether he was frustrated at his own or the team's performance I don't know but you can't hope to get away with what he did.

The second half was much better, but not to the extent that it should be over-praised as it was only really what we should have expected from the off. And we were helped by the fact that Hungerford managed not to have a clue how to play against ten men. After dominating the first half they were woeful for most of the second. We've spent most of the last month bemoaning the fact that a four-man midfield isn't able to make a mark, so going to 4-3-2 (Canavan, Geddes and Fitz being the three) and then being pretty much in control tells you how poor they were.

Luke ran the risk of being sent off himself - got a stupid booking for pratting about in front of their keeper when he was trying to drop kick the ball in the first half (yes, the ref was over-fussy but he was equally so to both teams and Luke need not have given him the chance to book him) and then had a bit of a to-do with one of their lads out of frustration. I felt for him to be honest because he was shifted from right wing to up front and back again several times and I don't think he knows if he's coming or going.

Once they'd got a red card as well we were completely on top but we've got to be more clinical with our finishing. Rowey was unlucky a couple of times and Sean, I think, hit a thunderbolt that would just have sneaked inside the post had it not been blocked on the line. But Drew had two chances to shoot which he spurned, trying to take another touch with one and then opting to pass to Luke who wasn't as well placed with the other. Neither were certain goals by any stretch but both should have been hit when he had the chance - if you don't buy a ticket...

The best chance was in stoppage time when Sean found himself virtually on the penalty spot with time to pick a spot either side of the sitting duck keeper... and hit it straight at him. Had we scored at any time up to the 85th minute I reckon there's a good chance we would have gone on to win. By the same token, though, we should still have been dead and buried by half time.

I had to check tonight that Lloydy was actually on the bench because I don't understand why we played the second half with Wurzel and Leon as our full backs. If Lloydy isn't "match fit" (as per the Stourbridge News last week) then fair enough, but in that case why make him go all that way, probably taking time off work, just to sit on the bench knowing you're never going to bring him on whatever the circumstances?

I quite liked the ground - at least it had cover at both ends on such a horrible night. Wouldn't like to have been behind the goal at somewhere like Barwell in that weather. However, there didn't seem to be any tannoy announcements to speak of (hence me not knowing who our subs were) apart from a bloke shouting in panic at our supporters at half time not to use bad language to the players and officials. I sympathised with his plea as I thought those responsible were in the wrong, but he sounded ridiculous!

On the whole another bad night and there are serious questions need asking. Why so poor in the first half (especially given the belated improvement after the interval). Why players out of position? Why the Lloydy thing? Why the almost pathalogical refusal to acknowledge the lack of bite and competitiveness in midfield? All these things seem blindingly obvious to us supporters. Are we all wrong?

I said last November on here that Gary has done so much for this club and has earned the right to leave (whenever that may be) at a time and in a manner of his choosing. I still would like that to be the case. But there is not much goodwill from the supporters at the moment - especially those who made the long trip last night - and it's very hard to argue against that. There is a real danger of everything he and the management team have achieved - two promotions, three WSC wins, two BSC finals, Walsall, Plymouth, etc being tarnished.

Is that too strong? I don't know, I really don't.
In reference to your final paragraph TRM i would echo those thoughts.

Many of us remember the years where the managerial position was like a revolving door with Graham Newton,Colin Gordon,Steve "the joke" Daniel's,uncle Tom Cobley and all coming in for a stint,bringing in all their mates and leaving the place like a car crash when they had to be booted.

The luck that we have in having two experienced,well respected former pro players with no ego who are also local guy's cannot be overly appreciated,it is a unique blend that brings great stability to our club and their record of achievement goes before them at Stour.

Long after they have left the club they will be talked of in reverential terms and today's teenager's and 20 something's will regale the tails of this era to their own kid's 20/20/40 years from now just as i do when recalling the Alan Grundy side of 73-74,a side i can still name the first team and subs from off the top of my head on a good day.

I hope Gary and John are still here in another 10-15 years,we certainly will not get better blokes than them to do a thankless job for little money that takes up a huge amount of time from their personal lives.

I do worry about the actual coaching of the players though,i'm unsure how much Gary and John are involved in this aspect but if they are delegating this job soley to Mark then maybe this needs looking at because we seem to be making the same type of errors time after time and certain players don't seem to be showing improvement.

It's important to remember that the player's have to show a hell of a commitment at this level of football.

Big mileage,weekends away from family added to training after a long working day.

On Tuesday night at Hungerford i saw Sean Geddes getting off the coach in his working gear,obviously a day of hard manual graft and he then run's his nut's off in appalling conditions for 90 minutes for not a great deal of money.

He and the rest of them didn't make all that effort to then purposely play so poorly,these lad's are not pampered pro's.

I was tired enough after a 215 mile round trip after a day of not working very much at all!!

Like i said,these are halcyon days in the history of our club,Gary need's our full backing rather than asking too many question,if you think there's a better bloke out there then bloody good luck to you in trying to find him.

We already have the best pair we will probably ever have.

PS. No,i'm not related to either of them!!

View user profile

40 Re: Hungerford on Thu Sep 19 2013, 10:32

Amidst all the inquests, not one of us has mentioned the quote of the night, when Baz, in a moment (one of many) of heated frustration, yelled at somebody on their bench....

"You need to grow a longer pair of trousers!"

View user profile

41 Re: Hungerford on Thu Sep 19 2013, 10:40

TRM wrote:Amidst all the inquests, not one of us has mentioned the quote of the night, when Baz, in a moment (one of many) of heated frustration, yelled at somebody on their bench....

The new beast? .....

View user profile

42 Re: Hungerford on Thu Sep 19 2013, 10:50

TRM wrote:Amidst all the inquests, not one of us has mentioned the quote of the night, when Baz, in a moment (one of many) of heated frustration, yelled at somebody on their bench....

He was right though!

View user profile

43 Re: Hungerford on Thu Sep 19 2013, 12:06

Thanks guys love you all realy

View user profile

44 Re: Hungerford on Thu Sep 19 2013, 20:32

baz wrote:Thanks guys love you all realy
We love you too, Baz. Coz you make us laugh. And believe me, during the first half on Tuesday night, that was very welcome indeed!

View user profile

45 Re: Hungerford on Thu Sep 19 2013, 20:35

stour_boy wrote:
TRM wrote:Report from Hungerord's website. The gist is fair but one or two of the details are iffy, particularly the two red cards...

Almost as unprofessional as Cirencester Town's match reports or Stourport Swifts' pen pictures. Why do clubs let such guff be put out as their official communications?
In what way is that report "unprofessional"?

I've read it three times now and can't find anything too contentious. If anything it's erring on the side of blandness.

View user profile

46 Re: Hungerford on Thu Sep 19 2013, 21:56

A six year old could have written in better English than that. Standards have gone out of the window seemingly, I don't know.

View user profile

47 Re: Hungerford on Fri Sep 20 2013, 07:16

stour_boy wrote:A six year old could have written in better English than that. Standards have gone out of the window seemingly, I don't know.
No, it's not grammatically perfect but I've read a hell of a lot worse. Perhaps he grinded it out late at night when he was tired?

Edit - I've just read it again and it seems 99% fine to me! Don't know what you're getting at!

View user profile

48 Re: Hungerford on Fri Sep 20 2013, 07:32

I guess I should be grateful for some kind of a report, even if Shakespeare is easier to follow. The grammar and structure is poor, meaning it makes many confusing points and jumps suddenly from point to point.

And as I said it doesn't come close to how bad Cirencester's was.

View user profile

49 Re: Hungerford on Fri Sep 20 2013, 07:50

TRM......
Grinded it out??
Now surely that's a wonderful example of something being grammatically incorrect?Very Happy 

View user profile

50 Re: Hungerford on Fri Sep 20 2013, 08:14

I refer the Honourable Gentleman to the "Burnham" thread.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next