Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Burnham (not the one in Somerset)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Fri Sep 06 2013, 14:37

Personally I reckon that's what they should officially be called. So many people I've spoken to seem to think it's the one near Weston.

Won't be there tomorrow but let's forget the last two games and be positive. On and off the pitch!

First clean sheet. Storming performance. 3-0 Stour. 500+ to celebrate Non-League Day. COYG!!!!

View user profile

2 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Fri Sep 06 2013, 14:53

As per normal on a day when we have a captive audience we'll play like we did on Tuesday and slump to a narrow defeat.

Rain is forecast as well which will at least reduce the number of "sufferer's".

PS.

If you're on your sick bed it's best not to invite me around.

View user profile

3 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Fri Sep 06 2013, 20:13

2-1 stour....546 in attendance.
Forecast now saying predominantly dry.

View user profile

4 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Fri Sep 06 2013, 20:19

Does that mean they've run out of beer in the bar?

View user profile

5 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Fri Sep 06 2013, 23:50

Jack

Admin
I think we shall lose.

View user profile http://glassboys.the-talk.net

6 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sat Sep 07 2013, 13:00

2-1 to stour att: 444

7 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sat Sep 07 2013, 13:09

Jack

Admin
If its not in Somerset, where is it?

8 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sat Sep 07 2013, 13:29

I thought you passed geography nory??

View user profile

9 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sat Sep 07 2013, 13:53

Near Sluff.

View user profile

10 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sat Sep 07 2013, 14:11

2-0 to the Mighty Glassboys,
Benett,Oliver.
Att 657,

View user profile

11 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sat Sep 07 2013, 15:08

Drew straight in starting eleven.Wink 

View user profile

12 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sat Sep 07 2013, 17:27

Thank god for that!

Another disjointed first half performance not helped by mistifying team selection once again.

Henry Eze at right back.........answers on a postcard please.

Lloydy must have run over Hackett's cat to get overlooked for the right back spot in preference to Eze.

No disrespect to Canavan who did okay today but to just walk back into the side after a couple of weeks away didn't seem fair on other's in the squad.

Rowey still below par but Benbow shoved out wide on the right,it just looked and felt wrong and didn't work at all.

Well done Roly Agbor,his second half shot almost killed me as i stood alongside the pitch but his performance overall offered much promise,he injects life and pace into the team,we come alive when he get's the ball.

Once Will Richards was moved up front and Wurzel was put out wide with Benbow coming more central we started to look like a decent team again and deservedly won the game with a fine finish by Richards.

Some of the starting eleven picks are looking like an effort by management to keep everybody happy with game time rather than picking the best team for the job in hand,i hope this stops and we risk upsetting a few rather than pandering to ego's.

I still think we need a tall,physical presence in midfield to win the ball and dominate the opposition,easier said than done though to find such a player.

I hope we see a return of Lloyd at right back against Evesham and Wurzel on the right wing.

Well done again to Will Richards though,i got fed up of voting for him as man of the match so i went for Benbow who became his old self once Rowe was dragged off.

Evesham up next....let's hammer 'em!

View user profile

13 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sat Sep 07 2013, 17:35

Can't really offer much more than devil has posted and as my train to Worcester is due in I think I'll sit back and be a voyeur like Mr.Hill.Very Happy 

View user profile

14 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sat Sep 07 2013, 18:53

Better , but still plenty of room for improvement.

I thought we were the better team for long periods of the match, and I cannot remember Coleman having to make a save. We were caught out by their pace upfront on more than one occasion, but they failed to make that count and the only scare came after half time when they hit the post. I thought Henry looked uneasy at full back, his lack of mobility being a problem and he is no overlapping fullback (having said that he made a couple of good tackles) and I cannot understand ,as others have said repeatedly ,why paul lloyd is being kept on the bench.

I thought we started well then faded until the middle of the second half, too many of our passes going either too long or astray.The difference the goal made was quite marked, confidence came back, luke was changed player, charging after ball and taking on and beating defenders and we could have scored more but for their keeper. I understand the comments regarding Drew coming straight back in, but I thought he had a decent game.

Agree with DA about Agbor, I hope we see more of him, he brings much needed pace to the attack. Will Richards continues to impress and Gary has an important descision to make, start him at centre half or up front. I think he shoud start at the back which gives us the option of moving him forward if needed, but it is a difficult choice.

Hoprfully we can carry the last 20 minutes performance into the next game and carry on where we left off today.

Man of the match voting was split over seven players, Will won with 13, Sean received 7, Roly 3, Drew & Luke 2 each, Nathan & Jamie 1 each.
The wine was won by Neil Stevens-Wood.

View user profile

15 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sat Sep 07 2013, 19:31

Jack

Admin
We won. I think right now, that is all that matters. We didn't play that well, having said that, in the first in 20 minutes I think we did well. At the time I didn't understand the change, however Will scoring the winner makes up for that. He seems to be playing with a lot of confidence at the minute, which is great. Hopefully though, he remains at Centre Back!

Apparently Rowey didn't play that well? I thought he did alright tbh. He isn't his old self, that's obvious, however he hasn't played that much football this summer or last season on a whole. It's a hard one though, do we keep on playing him until he clicks, and then accept for a few weeks he'll be off the pace, or do we drop him and then that'll do no good for Rowey at all.

I actually think Luke on the wing could work. However, it wouldn't be a conventional get the ball, head down and beat your man winger, he'd be a what you'd call an 'Inside Forward'-that is the right terminology for the older ones, isn't it? Wink. He cuts in a lot as it is playing as a striker so it could work. Agbor looked very good in the first half in particular. I can't quite get over the fact he never seems to be running! He gives us something different.

Oh, and one final thing, what has Paul Lloyd got to do to start? A right winger ahead of him, and then when he's dropped, a Centre Back comes in for him!

16 Burnham (nor the one in Essex) on Sat Sep 07 2013, 21:15

A much improved performance on Tuesday night but still a bit of a struggle, although was that down to Burnham coming for a point and trying to stifle our play.

I'm with the general view on how come our only natural right back can't get a sniff at that position.

Still, the win and our first clean sheet of the season were the main thing. Every team has to grind out a result now and again.

View user profile

17 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sun Sep 08 2013, 16:37

Thanks to both Stourboy and Aled for keeping me advised of progress - although their verdicts on our first half performance conflicted somewhat!

After the previous two games a win and a clean sheet, however, they were achieved, are just what we needed. If it helps to re-establish some of the lost confidence then all the better. With a free week to hopefully work on things at training, and a very winnable Cup match to come next Saturday let's hope for further improvement.

Fed up with talking about "Lloydy-gate."

Take DA's point about Drew walking back into the team, but on the other hand nobody has covered themselves in glory whilst he has been away. Maybe there was a message there for the rest of the squad? And if, as I gather from Stourboy, we went for a slight change of formation then maybe he was the only candidate for the role he took (in Ben's absence). Those who were there might be better placed to comment on that?

View user profile

18 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sun Sep 08 2013, 16:57

Having seen the game I think that what everyone else has said is correct, and yes it was a better performance.  Until we got the ball in the box that is... Wink 

It seems to me that our main problem is getting the ball into the net, because if we'd put away every chance we had yesterday we could have easily won by 4 or 5 goals.  At least we managed to keep a clean sheet which is certainly a positive and I'm looking forward to the cup match at Evesham next saturday Very Happy

19 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sun Sep 08 2013, 17:01

Grinded Ground out the win, I thought the goal was never going to come.

I thought we were much improved from Tuesday albeit that was hardly difficult. As for Canavan, none of the midfielders have exactly set the world alight so far this season bar Geddes playing well so I had no problem with him coming into the side. He had a good game especially in the first half and late on in the second. He did drift out of things a bit but he certainly warranted his selection IMHO.

Eze instead of Lloyd was weird but I thought he did OK, certainly better than Oliver at LB who was a touch error-strewn. The game changer was bringing Drake on for Rowe enabling Richards to go up front and score the winner with a lovely finish.

After that our confidence was visibly lifted and we really should have added more goals. Danny Burnell hitting the side netting was the closest they came to an equaliser after our goal. We were lucky not to be behind however about 10 seconds into the second half when they hit the bar with a free header after Eze slipped on the wet surface as a cross came in.

I liked the system we played, with Drew 'in the hole' but it would work better if the strikers worked better together, which they just aren't. Why that is I don't know.

We played some excellent football at times but just lacked that killer final ball or finish for the most part.

Anyway, an enjoyable afternoon, with the exception of the idiot in the second half who'd had far too much to drink. A bit pathetic at his age. Thankfully club officials and stewards were quickly on the scene to quell the disorder before it escalated from just moronic shouting and chanting. It was funny to see him shut up and mope off once the steward reinforcements arrived.

Some of the people around me looked disgusted with his behaviour so I hope they were not first-timers put off coming back. Anyway it was a minor issue sensibly dealt with.

All being well I should be making my first away appearance of the season next Saturday.

Last edited by stour_boy on Sun Sep 08 2013, 17:23; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

20 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sun Sep 08 2013, 17:20

Grinded?

I thought you'd been to Uni and all that? Laughing Laughing Laughing 

View user profile

21 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sun Sep 08 2013, 17:22

stour_boy wrote:We were lucky not to be behind however about 10 seconds into the second half when they hit the bar with a free header after Eze slipped on the wet surface as a cross came in.
Unlike us to be in danger of conceding a goal straight after half time! Rolling Eyes 

View user profile

22 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sun Sep 08 2013, 17:23

TRM wrote:Grinded?

Edited! Very Happy

View user profile

23 Re: Burnham (not the one in Somerset) on Sun Sep 08 2013, 17:24

stour_boy wrote:
TRM wrote:Grinded?

Edited! Very Happy
I'd have gone for a Embarassed  rather than a Very Happy  myself!

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum