Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Farnborough

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Farnborough on Thu Apr 25 2013, 19:41

Farnborough have gone into administration and taken a ten point penalty; they are reported to be £2m in debt.

With the bottom three already relegated though, they will stay in the BS South unless they get kicked out for breaking Conference rules and end up in (one assumes) the Southern League like Salisbury City did.

Beginning to sound like a cracked record now, but how long will this be allowed to carry on? Unless they get serious help will they end up suffering the same fate as the 'old' club?

View user profile

2 Re: Farnborough on Thu Apr 25 2013, 20:15

One of the old guys helping out at the Worcs Senior Cup Final was obviously a Worcester City fan.

He was giving " chapter and verse " on the woes of his club and bemoaning the sale of their ground and the ground share with Kiddie.

It seems that Worcester got £3 million for the ground but £1.7 million has gone in Capital Gain's Tax and paying off their debts,they are left with £1.3 million and he reckon's they may well be bust in 2/3 years time.

I also heard two other guys discussing the same thing and they quoted identical figures.

Truro and Totton are deep in the mire,Farnborough too according to you SB and no doubt a good few other's to follow.

As a businessman myself with a company that's taken me nearly 17 years to build from a zero base i'm constantly surprised at the crap some clubs get themselves into.

The present model at Stourbridge is in my opinion the best model,it's based on no one " Sugar Daddy " and is run on business lines with just a smidgen of risk taken in terms of a calculated gamble at the right time,the Ben Mackey signing is a great example of this.

Stour have a good range of contributor's to club funds that bolster the excellent support of the main sponsor the Bhandals and this creates stability as no one person pulling out causes a catastrophe such as at the clubs mentioned previously and if you remember Gretna in Scotland!

I think their benefactor won a pot on the lottery then pulled the plug and the whole thing collapsed.

I'm confident that whatever division we are in next season Andy P will ensure we have good,strong sponsorship behind us.

As for Farnborough,when we beat them here in their promotion season a couple of years ago their management team were extremely condescending about our place so i feel little sympathy towards them.

View user profile

3 Re: Farnborough on Thu Apr 25 2013, 20:41

No sympathy for farnbrough - once is careless, twice is stupid. They deserve everything they get.

Read today Kettering have been served with a winding up order by HMRC. About time I'd say - HMRC need to get tougher with football clubs. If I have to pay my taxes why shouldn't they. If they owe HMRC they owe all of us.

I hope you're right DA about us being well run. I have no reason to doubt it but would love to see some accounts to be sure.

View user profile

4 Re: Farnborough on Thu Apr 25 2013, 20:50

Like Phil, I hope you're right about the way we are run, DA. If you read other forums, you'll often see other clubs' supporters praising us for the way we have developed without going for the "quick fix" route to success. It's good to hear and I hope we never stray from that way of doing things.

Every club that gets into difficulties can tell you a slightly different story about ho it happened, but for the most part they boil down to one thing - expenditure exceeding income, and bills not being paid as a result. Like Phil says, it's hard to have much sympathy especially for a serial offender like Farnborough.

View user profile

5 Re: Farnborough on Thu Apr 25 2013, 20:53

PhilC wrote:No sympathy for farnbrough - once is careless, twice is stupid. They deserve everything they get.

Read today Kettering have been served with a winding up order by HMRC. About time I'd say - HMRC need to get tougher with football clubs. If I have to pay my taxes why shouldn't they. If they owe HMRC they owe all of us.

I hope you're right DA about us being well run. I have no reason to doubt it but would love to see some accounts to be sure.

Totally agree with you all. I love the way we are run, its bad to have a club run by one big personality.

On that last point, we are are limited company now so accounts will be freely available from Companies House when they are filed. Albeit they will be small company accounts so don't expect huge detail, but it should give an idea of how things have been going.

View user profile

6 Re: Farnborough on Thu Apr 25 2013, 21:39

My brother has known Andy for Donkey's years,they are both Leeds United fans but Andy's probably hidden that fact for obvious reasons!

Coming from near Leeds i should have supported them too but i hated them no matter how hard my dear old dad tried to foist them on me,thankfully we moved to the Midlands!

Andy work's hard,run's a very good business and has to be one of the most well liked guys i've ever come across and as straight as a die,i've chatted with him a few times and although he call's me by my brother's name i can forgive him that.

Things are being done properly in my opinion,no hidden " black holes " lurking in the background.

Most of us remember our " Mr.Shoepeople " era and that period in the 90's when that other geezer took over who's name escapes,i'm sure you'll remember him TRM,it was around the time we signed that lad Myers from Solihull i think.

The new " owner " was a nervous wreck,i remember a home match where we were getting toned and he was moaning to all and sundry and telling them just how much each " idiot " was costing him in wages,he looked like he was heading for a nervous breakdown.

Being an Albion fan and having seen the Jeremy Peace formula of building slowly and not over stretching does make me feel this is the best way of doing things but it can be a tad frustrating when it appears a club isn't trying hard enough to make ground.

It's a tough balancing act and i think we've got it just about spot on over the last few years,promotion this year or next would be vindication of that in my opinion.

I presume everyone will want a pay rise if we go up,no doubt BSN wages are a step up from our present level so we'll need a few more people to come to the party with sponsorship etc but i have no doubts in Andy's ability to do the necessary.

View user profile

7 Re: Farnborough on Thu Apr 25 2013, 21:53

Larry Homer is the name you're looking for. Felt sorry for him, but he made his bed and then got into it with a certain large gentleman who persuaded him that if we signed loads of players from higher levels on big money contracts we would storm the league and be pulling in 500+ within a month. We were on the verge of bankruptcy within three...

Andy De Bont
Martin Myers
Nicky Law
Paul Hunter
Luke Yates
Tyrone Streete
Ian Bennett
plus others

All on big money (I saw some of the contracts). I also heard one player saying when he was told his pay was being cut that he couldn't afford it as it was his JOB! That gives you some idea how much we were paying out - absolutely crazy money. But the manager had told the chairman he would be recouping all he was paying out and more besides through the gate and over the bar and the chairman naively believed him.

The thing that narked most supporters was players like Adam Bastable and Tim Nicholls being squeezed out and playing for the reserves. A lot of fans I knew at the time stopped going away and watched the reserves at home because they felt more affinity with some of the players involved.

View user profile

8 Re: Farnborough on Thu Apr 25 2013, 21:55

Larry Homer is the bloke you are thinking of. I'm sure he had good intentions, but Steve Daniels took him for a ride, signing a dream squad of midlands non-league players that we couldn't come close to affording. We all knew how it would end but couldn't do much to stop it. At least we got the club done up!!

I know Andy is completely different and trust him to run the club. I also trust Gary to make signings we can afford. Having Gary on the board is a big plus that not many clubs can share. I just get nervous when we start signing players like Mackey that, as an outsider, would appear to be in the next wage bracket up. However for all I know he might be our lowest paid player, but I doubt it Smile

View user profile

9 Re: Farnborough on Thu Apr 25 2013, 22:11

TRM wrote:Larry Homer is the name you're looking for. Felt sorry for him, but he made his bed and then got into it with a certain large gentleman who persuaded him that if we signed loads of players from higher levels on big money contracts we would storm the league and be pulling in 500+ within a month. We were on the verge of bankruptcy within three...

Andy De Bont
Martin Myers
Nicky Law
Paul Hunter
Luke Yates
Tyrone Streete
Ian Bennett
plus others

All on big money (I saw some of the contracts). I also heard one player saying when he was told his pay was being cut that he couldn't afford it as it was his JOB! That gives you some idea how much we were paying out - absolutely crazy money. But the manager had told the chairman he would be recouping all he was paying out and more besides through the gate and over the bar and the chairman naively believed him.

The thing that narked most supporters was players like Adam Bastable and Tim Nicholls being squeezed out and playing for the reserves. A lot of fans I knew at the time stopped going away and watched the reserves at home because they felt more affinity with some of the players involved.

Aah yes,Larry Homer,that's the man.

He was telling people in the crowd that Myer's was on £350-£400 per week so i presume that WAS his job going back nearly 20 years.

The " Large Gentleman " was certainly an extremely low note for our club,indeed for any club he's been involved with,it amazes me how often he's got his feet under the table at.

You're right about that period TRM,i felt like the lunatics had taken over the asylum during that period and i gave up watching for a spell until they'd all gone.

No risk of that nonsense under Andy P.

View user profile

10 Re: Farnborough on Thu Apr 25 2013, 22:13

Devil's Advocate wrote:
TRM wrote:Larry Homer is the name you're looking for. Felt sorry for him, but he made his bed and then got into it with a certain large gentleman who persuaded him that if we signed loads of players from higher levels on big money contracts we would storm the league and be pulling in 500+ within a month. We were on the verge of bankruptcy within three...

Andy De Bont
Martin Myers
Nicky Law
Paul Hunter
Luke Yates
Tyrone Streete
Ian Bennett
plus others

Aah yes,Larry Homer,that's the man.

He was telling people in the crowd that Myer's was on £350-£400 per week so i presume that WAS his job going back nearly 20 years.

The " Large Gentleman " was certainly an extremely low note for our club,indeed for any club he's been involved with,it amazes me how often he's got his feet under the table at numerous clubs.

You're right about that period TRM,i felt like the lunatics had taken over the asylum during that period and i gave up watching for a spell until they'd all gone.

No risk of that nonsense under Andy P.

View user profile

11 Re: Farnborough on Thu Apr 25 2013, 22:43

Larry Homer (or Lazlo Hombre to some of us) was a genuinely lovely man but had no idea about the non league scene, or indeed, the route he was being taken down by a certain gentleman. I felt an awful lot of sympathy for him in many ways but at the same time, was a little surprised at how a successful businessman was so easily hoodwinked.

As for nervous breakdowns, i'm sure those of us there to witness it will never forget the sad sight of the now infamous breakdown suffered by another owner who was sold a pack of lies and ended up being arrested on the pitch before, as I understand it, ending up in Bushey Fields Hospital.

Those were certainly very dark days for the club where sadly, I served on the committee and remember some of the meetings that took place. We came very, very close to being finished. Thankfully Mark Serrell came aboard and we owe him an awful lot of gratitude (despite his time at Halesowen and of course Kiddy), he was the one who started the recovery, however painful at first with relegation to the MFA.

Where we are now, is a world away from those dark days and I hope we'll never see them again.

Speaking of the old days, good to see Morton Bartleet on Saturday, another true gentlemen who I have a lot of time for.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum