Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lye Town away form

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Lye Town away form on Thu Mar 14 2013, 22:09

I see that Lye Town has dropped points away from home for the first time this season - a 2-2 draw at Bewdley seeing the end of their perfect record to date. Still top of the WM League though, but unsure if they're eligible for promotion.

View user profile

2 Re: Lye Town away form on Thu Mar 14 2013, 23:13

They are, apparently.

View user profile

3 Re: Lye Town away form on Fri Mar 15 2013, 12:44

If they go up, can we draw them in the cups again?

View user profile

4 Re: Lye Town away form on Fri Mar 15 2013, 12:49

PhilC wrote:If they go up, can we draw them in the cups again?

FA Cup: possible anyway so yes
FA Vase: no
Worcs Senior: Alvechurch are in the Urn so very doubtful
Bham Senior: Some Step 5 teams such as Gornal, so that is a possibility

View user profile

5 Re: Lye Town away form on Fri Mar 15 2013, 15:30

I'd hate to see teams from that league if lye are top. Saw them in the FA cup vs Bartley green and they were truly awful, that bad we left before half time

View user profile

6 Re: Lye Town away form on Fri Mar 15 2013, 15:35

Would be great to play The Lye again - must be 20 years or more since a competitive game.

Aside from Causeway, they are our nearest neighbours and there would be a genuine anticipation locally I'm sure. They'd love to put one over on us as they did in the FA Cup in the late 80s (I think).

I'm pretty sure all MFA clubs under the BCFA's area enter the BSC so it would be a possibility.

Nick - the WML is three divisions below us now at step 6. Not so long ago it was step 4 (certainly was at the time of that FA Cup tie when we were only one division apart) before the Alliance was formed and then the regional divisions of the Conference. Not surprising the standard is "patchy".

Lye have been in that division since about the 1930s I think - never promoted or relegated (other than effective relegations due to those reorganisations). Must be some kind of record?

View user profile

7 Re: Lye Town away form on Fri Mar 15 2013, 15:50

TRM wrote:Aside from Causeway, they are our nearest neighbours

Does that mean they are closer than Dudley Sports scratch geek afro

8 Re: Lye Town away form on Fri Mar 15 2013, 15:54

Fair point - must be a close run thing!

EDIT - I've measured it in my A-Z with a ruler. From ground entrance to ground entrance, as the crow flies, Dudley Sports is about 2mm closer!

Gold star to Smiler!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

View user profile

9 Re: Lye Town away form on Fri Mar 15 2013, 17:17

NickSFCB wrote:I'd hate to see teams from that league if lye are top. Saw them in the FA cup vs Bartley green and they were truly awful, that bad we left before half time

Interesting, since someone I met at Tividale on Tuesday said what a good footballing side Lye were.

That said he's seen them about half a dozen times rather than less than half a game!

Which is more than could be said for either Tividale or Kirby Muxloe that night.

View user profile

10 Re: Lye Town away form on Sun Apr 07 2013, 13:10

Won 3-0 to stay top of the league, though AFC Wulfrunians are in the driving seat one point behind with a game in hand, and Shawbury United not far behind either.

View user profile

11 Re: Lye Town away form on Mon Apr 22 2013, 00:48

AFC Wulfrunians slipped up 2-0 at Pegasus Juniors on Saturday, leaving Lye with the title in their own hands after their 5-2 win over Bartley Green at home.

The run-in:

Lye:
Sat 27 Apr Wolverhampton Sporting Community (A)
Sat 4 May Sporting Khalsa (A)
Tue 7 May Wolverhampton Casuals (A)

AFC Wulfrunians:
Tue 23 Apr Wednesfield (A)
Sat 27 Apr Dudley Town (H)
Tue 30 Apr Dudley Sports (A)
Tue 7 May Malvern Town (A)

View user profile

12 Re: Lye Town away form on Mon Apr 22 2013, 11:21

NickSFCB wrote:I'd hate to see teams from that league if lye are top. Saw them in the FA cup vs Bartley green and they were truly awful, that bad we left before half time

I've watched them twice recently for the first time in about 10 years and i thought they played some decent stuff.

They played Dudley Sports off the park a couple of weeks ago and drew an entertaining and even match with Shawbury last week.

I can remember going there with Stour in around 1977 for ( i think ) an FA Cup match i think,there were around 900 there.

I seem to remember our Maurice Head getting sent off and it all got very tasty as we went on to a 2-0 win against a really good Lye side featuring Bob Sidaway and Harper.

The atmosphere was tremendous inside the ground but things did " kick off " between fans,i got jumped by a gang of 4 down by what is now The Hadcroft pub ( Noah's Ark in those days ) and i took a real kicking.

I could do without the kicking at this stage of my life but fixtures between the two clubs would be good to see again.

View user profile

13 Re: Lye Town away form on Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:06

stour_boy wrote:AFC Wulfrunians slipped up 2-0 at Pegasus Juniors on Saturday, leaving Lye with the title in their own hands after their 5-2 win over Bartley Green at home.

The run-in:

Lye:
Sat 27 Apr Wolverhampton Sporting Community (A)

AFC Wulfrunians:
Tue 23 Apr Wednesfield (A)
Sat 27 Apr Dudley Town (H)
Tue 30 Apr Dudley Sports (A)

I'd be tempted to go to Khalsa on 4th May, but as they now own Willenhall's ground it will probably be bloody freezing as it always is up there, whilst the rest of us swelter in a heatwave!

View user profile

14 Re: Lye Town away form on Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:12

It's always freezing at Noose Lane and we always lost there (or threw away a 2 goal cushion to draw, or something). Never ever enjoyed going there!

View user profile

15 Re: Lye Town away form on Tue Apr 23 2013, 00:29

[quote="TRM"]

I'd be tempted to go to Khalsa quote]

There's a phrase not often used I wager!

View user profile

16 Re: Lye Town away form on Tue Apr 23 2013, 20:33

Seen several of their games this season and think they could easily hold their own in the Midland Alliance. They did get lucky against Dudley Town turning 0-1 into 3-1 win, they could have easily been 4 or 5 down by half time!

View user profile

17 Re: Lye Town away form on Tue Apr 23 2013, 23:04

Wednesfield 2-3 AFC Wulfrunians.

All to play for in the last 3 games now!

View user profile

18 Re: Lye Town away form on Sun Apr 28 2013, 15:38

Saturday's results:

AFC Wulfrunians 2-0 Dudley Town
Wolverhampton Sporting Community 2-3 Lye Town

Lye Town..........Pld 40, 102 Pts (GD +81)
AFC Wulfrunians...Pld 40, 100 Pts (GD +94)

Down to the final two games!

View user profile

19 Re: Lye Town away form on Tue Apr 30 2013, 21:52

Dudley Sports 1-3 AFC Wulfrunians

AFCW top by a point. Lye need two wins really!

Lye:

AFC Wulfrunians:

View user profile

20 Re: Lye Town away form on Sat May 04 2013, 17:24

Today's result: Sporting Khalsa 1-3 Lye Town

Lye need a win at third placed Wolverhampton Casuals on Tuesday to confirm the league title, but would win it anyway if AFC Wulfrunians fail to beat Malvern Town.

C'mon the Lye!

View user profile

21 Re: Lye Town away form on Sat May 04 2013, 21:01

Thanks for that stourboy,may go tuesday for something to do! Think bello plays for casuals!!

View user profile

22 Re: Lye Town away form on Sun May 05 2013, 18:29

If Lye win at Wolverhampton Casuals on Tuesday night they will win the league. AFC Wulfrunians are away to Malvern the same night, I would expect Wulfs to beat Malvern.

It will be a difficult game for Lye with Casuals looking to win to finish third. Bellingham does indeed play for Casuals and he scored 3 or 4 goals in Saturdays win.

I shall be there Tuesday night, Lye play some good football and have enjoyed my midweek trips to see them this season.

Just one last point ..... Lye have never been relegated or promoted, fingers crossed they can change that on Tuesday. Smile

View user profile

23 Re: Lye Town away form on Sun May 05 2013, 22:38

brockmoor wrote:If Lye win at Wolverhampton Casuals on Tuesday night they will win the league. AFC Wulfrunians are away to Malvern the same night, I would expect Wulfs to beat Malvern.

It will be a difficult game for Lye with Casuals looking to win to finish third. Bellingham does indeed play for Casuals and he scored 3 or 4 goals in Saturdays win.

I shall be there Tuesday night, Lye play some good football and have enjoyed my midweek trips to see them this season.

Just one last point ..... Lye have never been relegated or promoted, fingers crossed they can change that on Tuesday. Smile

I'll see you at Wulf's Brock...........enjoy the walk in those Matalan trainers of your's!!.....'Mad'

View user profile

24 Re: Lye Town away form on Mon May 06 2013, 07:32

Have you been to their ground. Before? If so what is parking like? And quickest way?

View user profile

25 Re: Lye Town away form on Mon May 06 2013, 18:14

I haven't been there since 1986 so I've no idea what the parking's like these days.

The ground's just off the A449 Wolverhampton-Stafford road.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum